love

Author Topic: General Music talk  (Read 83366 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: General Music talk
« Reply #770 on: March 06, 2021, 07:17:23 PM »
OK, on BANDS (I wanted to put this up top even though I'm writing it last): The posts people are putting up in response to Adam Levine's assertion that bands were not as central to music now as they used to be are just proving him right. People are responding with photos of BTS, which is insane and inane. Haim might kind of still be a band, but they've embraced an extremely produced sound, though that's not all that unlike Maroon 5, who are terrible. I just think there's something fun about bands who are more about just jamming to find a song, not merely shills for the industry and/or image-obsessed prima donnas. Adam Levine is NOT a good messenger for what he's talking about, but the message is right on. Should say, of my top ten last year, only two were from actual bands (a couple solo artists in great bands, though). It's OK to say that the band concept is dying and that sucks while also liking music not made by bands. My main concern is where the music community and scene will be when we can all start congregating at concerts again without being socially distanced (which defeats the purpose, imo).

DIET_1.5 is ridiculous! IF THE GAME WAS A TOOTH!

I'll give the original UNLOCKED sometime during break.

I've listened to the Cloud Nothings' album 4 times today, 3 times while cleaning, once while walking the dog. A lot of the angst revolves around quarantine, and I relate a lot to it. When you're a band like them who rely a lot on touring and being with people, and you can just feel the yearning for community throughout, you know that sentiment is very real.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #771 on: March 12, 2021, 07:36:05 AM »
Seems like a truly abysmal release week.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #772 on: March 13, 2021, 05:09:53 PM »
Seems like a truly abysmal release week.

This was correct. I listened to 0 new albums/EPs yesterday, and only three songs of note.

Easily the best song of the week (two weeks in a row for him, I think) is "Thanksgiving" from Benny The Butcher produced by Harry Fraud. Production is solid, and Benny goes hard. It's not that long of a song, but it's a banger.

"She Wanna" is a new one from Guapdad 4000 and !llmind, who teamed up for the good "How Many" the other week, but this song isn't nearly as good as that one. It also features someone named P-Lo, who I'm unfamiliar with, but I'm still always going to listen to new Guap Daddy 4Gs at this point.

Last thing that stood out to me was "BIG!" from YNG Martyr and Riff Raff. Never heard from YNG Martyr before as far as I'm aware, and Spotify continues to always recommend new Riff Raff to me despite not really listening to him a ton. This song is good though, and added it to my running 2021 playlist mostly because of the hook. FLY lives every day like it's a Hot Girl Summer to this very day, and this says that it's a Hot Boy Summer, so I can relate to that.

That's it. One of the worst release weeks in quite some time.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #773 on: March 19, 2021, 08:07:38 AM »
Finally.

New albums from Guapdad, Benny the Butcher, Lana, and Bieber if that’s your thing. Personally, FLY caught a stiff L on his Crocs that dropped this week, so I’ll probs pass on the Biebs release.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #774 on: March 19, 2021, 10:14:20 PM »
Two recently released tracks I love:

The Go! Team go full-on early Sleigh Bells, imbued with their own sunshiny indie rock sensibilities:
https://youtu.be/LKKymFavwzQ

Laura Les just goes crazy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=879ysA4h9r4

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #775 on: March 20, 2021, 11:33:09 AM »
I am digging the new Middle Kids album.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #776 on: March 26, 2021, 10:02:53 PM »
Loving the new Lana - it’s a little more understated than NFR but brilliant in its own right.
I have always appreciated her trailer trash gothic, cynical broken American splendor schtick.
Hey, nice marmot!

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #777 on: March 29, 2021, 11:45:30 PM »
Loving the new Lana - it’s a little more understated than NFR but brilliant in its own right.
I have always appreciated her trailer trash gothic, cynical broken American splendor schtick.

I tried to get into NFR, actually had some good listens to several of the tracks, but the only one I really remember is Hope Is a Dangerous...you know the rest. It just didn't stick. Maybe I'll give the new one a shot.

There are also albums by The Antlers, Xiu Xiu, serepentwithfeet, and tUnE yArDs (I think I did that right) out. FLY better watch out before "Ets A New New Music Friday" Newsletter up in here.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #778 on: March 30, 2021, 08:37:51 AM »
Didn't realize tUnE-yArDs were still making music, I'll check that out. Last week was a pretty strong week between Armand Hammer x The Alchemist and the Dolph x Key Glock project. Do need to write it up, sadly these 10 hour work days are continuing to crush FLY.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #779 on: April 02, 2021, 06:43:33 AM »
Fans of the genre will be interested to know that there's a new Demi Lovato project out today! Hopefully it's not just a collection of singles from the past year with a couple of new tracks.

love