Silent Films
5 (41.7%)
Retrospots
6 (50%)
Best Picture Winners
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: April 02, 2012, 08:49:50 PM

Author Topic: April 2012 MDC: Retrospots!  (Read 13103 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: April 2012 MDC: Retrospots!
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 07:50:25 PM »
We need one more Burglar and one more Cabiria and then one other pair.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2012, 02:51:12 AM »
Old Yeller

Everyone knows Old Yeller gets rabies and is shot at the end, what I did not know is that the dog is actually called Old Yellow, and is written that way because that's how things be pronounced in good ole reconstruction Texas, where the confederate money ain't worth the paper it's printed on. This film is so full of things I can't stand I should have hated it right from the start, but it's so ridiculously sincere that it instead became a constant source of amusement. The cheesy intro song, the terrible child actors, the stereotypes bursting out of every hole, the early bambi allusion before the kid turns around and shoots a deer, the terrible "comedy" introduction of the lead character, the list goes on and on. Whatever else one can criticize, and there's a lot, the pacing is not one of those things. It's brisk and energetic, scenes flow nicely and, whatever the quality of the content, there's always something keeping your interest. Somewhere towards the end it stopped being amusing and the sincerity began to take hold, however tenuously, and I'm still unsure if that made it better. On the one hand it increased my respect for the film quality a little bit and I can understand better why some people consider it a classic, on the other hand my enjoyment diminished and the trite messages that replaced it weren't all that worthwhile. I wouldn't call it good, but I'd hesitate to call it bad and I didn't mind watching it. The dog killing scene is certainly well set up and well executed, and that seems to be the film's most memorable trait.

Given Martin's dislike of child actors I expect a similar reaction from him, or perhaps more negative if he can't find it in him to laugh at at the silliness.

KasperL

• letterboxd.com/KasperL & fb.com/favoritefilms
    • Criticker
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2012, 06:07:00 AM »
oldkid will be watching my favorite film of 1957 - maybe of all time: Sweet Smell of Success

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:30:20 AM by KasperL »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2012, 07:32:50 PM »
Old Yeller

Everyone knows Old Yeller gets rabies and is shot at the end, what I did not know is that the dog is actually called Old Yellow, and is written that way because that's how things be pronounced in good ole reconstruction Texas, where the confederate money ain't worth the paper it's printed on. This film is so full of things I can't stand I should have hated it right from the start, but it's so ridiculously sincere that it instead became a constant source of amusement. The cheesy intro song, the terrible child actors, the stereotypes bursting out of every hole, the early bambi allusion before the kid turns around and shoots a deer, the terrible "comedy" introduction of the lead character, the list goes on and on. Whatever else one can criticize, and there's a lot, the pacing is not one of those things. It's brisk and energetic, scenes flow nicely and, whatever the quality of the content, there's always something keeping your interest. Somewhere towards the end it stopped being amusing and the sincerity began to take hold, however tenuously, and I'm still unsure if that made it better. On the one hand it increased my respect for the film quality a little bit and I can understand better why some people consider it a classic, on the other hand my enjoyment diminished and the trite messages that replaced it weren't all that worthwhile. I wouldn't call it good, but I'd hesitate to call it bad and I didn't mind watching it. The dog killing scene is certainly well set up and well executed, and that seems to be the film's most memorable trait.

Given Martin's dislike of child actors I expect a similar reaction from him, or perhaps more negative if he can't find it in him to laugh at at the silliness.

Well, at least you can say you've seen it now.

And oldkid's already seen SSoS, so K will have to choose a different one :)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 01:27:42 PM »
Totoro and I have to drop out of this month's MDC. Which is ok because we are dictating to each other.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 02:03:54 PM »
Well, at least you can say you've seen it now.
True, and while I didn't think it was a good movie it wasn't a slog to watch and I had some measure of fun with the silly earnestness. As far as mediocre/bad movies go I had a decent time watching it, so I don't mind.

KasperL

• letterboxd.com/KasperL & fb.com/favoritefilms
    • Criticker
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2012, 02:07:10 PM »
And oldkid's already seen SSoS, so K will have to choose a different one :)

Instead, it will be my pleasure to dictate another 1957 favorite of mine, Mikhail Kalatozov's wonderful 'The Cranes are Flying'.

Life as Fiction

• South of the Border, West of the Sun
    • Life as Fiction
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 01:44:29 AM »
Life as Fiction will be watching:

Well, what do you know!  I've never seen a Mansfield film, so this should be exciting.  Also just watched Duryea for the first time in Scarlet Street, so this'll be a nice follow-up/change of pace before I watch The Woman in the Window.

Life as Fiction

• South of the Border, West of the Sun
    • Life as Fiction
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2012, 02:06:16 AM »
1SO will be watching Yasuzo Masumura's Kisses:

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2012, 10:08:54 PM »
Nights of Cabiria (1957) 5/5 - As I was watching this fantastic movie, I found myself pondering two questions. First, has there ever been an actress who could evoke such emotion with only her eyes as Giulietta Masina? I thought she was outstanding in the only other Fellini film I've seen, La Strada, but in that film she's either playing comic or pathos. In Nights of Cabiria she runs the gamut of anguished, angry, forlorn and on the opposite end of the spectrum, innocent and lovestruck. Now that I've finished this film, I have to rethink my nomination for Best Actress as it's going to be a tough choice between Masina and Tatyana Samojlova, as both actresses deal with a whole host of emotions in their character's lives. My second question deals with the stories main character Cabiria. Was this the first film to deal with the concept of the hooker with the heart of gold? After the film ended, I racked my brain, but couldn't think of another film that used this concept prior to this. Maybe someone else can think of one. Getting back to the film, Fellini plays all the right notes in his storytelling, as I felt pity and hope for Cabiria, even when I knew what was going to happen when she meets Oscar. That hope that I mentioned comes during a beautifully played out scene in a theater where Cabiria is hypnotized by a magician, and the innocence I alluded to, is on full display. This was going to be the next film added to my List of Shame, and I'm now very glad that we picked the Retro Filmspots for this month. I really enjoyed this, and now La Strada takes second place to this wonderful film.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)