Author Topic: Girls (HBO)  (Read 29453 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Girls (HBO)
« on: April 13, 2012, 09:56:05 AM »
So, anyone besides FLY excited about this one? I'm obviously a bit more interested to see how Veep plays out because The Thick Of It is brilliant, but with Eastbound and Bored to Death finished I am interested to see how HBO works these new comedies in to the lineup.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Girls (HBO)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:01:45 AM »
I'm of course very excited, being a big fan of Lena Dunham. But because I don't have HBO, it will have to wait.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:06:12 AM »
Not necessarily excited, but definitely curious.  Got it set to record.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:06:29 AM »
I'm most interested to see the format of the show. The previews seem in indicate the hints of larger arcs, and there is a bit of plot that propels Tiny Furniture, but I'm not so sure how much that will drive the program either. That's probably what I'm most curious about.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:51:49 PM »
Not necessarily excited, but definitely curious. 
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 01:46:55 PM »
The first episode of this television program was, in fact, pretty dank.

I watched Tiny Furniture as kind of prep work for Girls since I knew the latter was coming and I was going to watch the former by the end of the year anyway, and one of the things I noted while watching the film was that I kind of felt like the tone would work really well in 30 minute chunks. This proves true, and even if it does feel like Tiny Furniture for TV at times that's not really bad at all as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a bit puzzled at the critical acclaim both this and Tiny Furniture have seemed to garner, even by extension the near universal praise of Dunham, and as a result a notably vocal backlash in certain parts, but even being able to recognize some of the problematic elements in both of her works I find it easy to overlook the flaws and privileged perspective because, ultimately, that's what both creations appear to bring: perspective.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:54:51 PM by FLYmeatwad »

mousterpiece

• Elite Member
    • Mousterpiece Cinema
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
Watched the pilot. If nothing else, I think it's safe to say this show will get no help from the intense critical hype. I liked it well enough, but...yeah, some of the proclamations about this show are baffling to me.
Listen to my podcast, Mousterpiece Cinema!

Find me on Sound on Sight!

Follow me on Twitter!

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »
I'm of course very excited, being a big fan of Lena Dunham. But because I don't have HBO, it will have to wait.

However, for at least the next week or something the HBO youtube channel has the pilot up.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 05:55:08 PM »
Awesome, and it was as great as expected. Better than anything else I've been watching on TV lately (Smash and Community). Something that lingers rather than just occupying time.

I'm not entirely sure what to think about this complaining that everyone is white. The idea that any show/film that doesn't on its own present a perfectly calibrated cross-section of America is unacceptable infuriates me. The goal is that the world of media as a whole represents that cross-section, but if you try to force it within every single component part, it often breaks it, feels too focus group tested to include everyone. It's not impossible that this group of friends would be multi-ethnic, my social circle in Denver certainly is, but it isn't an act of white-washing that it isn't, it's entirely plausible. The question is, what does the show do with this...does it every make note of it and comment on the potential for racial self-sorting in these communities. That would be a commentary on race that couldn't be made if they had forced racial diversity among the main characters, and arguably a real concern for the real life equivalents of these characters.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:16:11 PM »
I liked it, too, and I'm looking forward to seeing how characters and storylines develop.  I think I identify more with Hannah's parents than Hannah, and I don't have a lot of sympathy for her, with her attitude of entitlement still going strong.  But I am interested in her (and her friends and their relationships); I'm wondering what her arc will be - if, when, and how my interest will turn more towards sympathy.