Author Topic: Filmspotting - we have a problem  (Read 17553 times)

The Dude Abides

Re: Filmspotting - we have a problem
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 01:10:53 PM »
I love Josh and his crazy accent.
The Dude abides' . . . I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that

The Dude Abides

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 01:12:43 PM »
also, i loved that he championed Cedar Rapids the way he did. It really did bring a new flavor to the show and really, I'd put it on my top ten list for last year too-- had I seen it last year.
The Dude abides' . . . I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 01:59:21 PM »
I think the show is still great.  And Josh is a great, but different, co-host.  It's wonderful how you guys disagree and we get to hear some great other perspectives from other guests and SVU folks.  I really like the way you guys are mixing it up.

My only problem with the show is a "good" problem-- that it sounds more like a radio show.  More ads, more time on donations, more time spent advertising special events and stuff.  This means that the program is becoming more solvent, which is good, and more listeners, which is good.  But it also means more "dead" time where there isn't any real conversation going on.  The more ads, the less interested I am, and I can't help but wonder if that isn't the case for others.

But as far as the conversation goes, I think it's as good as ever.
Naturally, you'd post this the week that we have no 'notes' about special events or anything else in segment 2. But coming off a week when we had a bunch. :)

Time spent on things like Audible and Donations is actually no more or less than it was 1, 2 or 3 years ago. But you add in Fandor for MT, special events like #400, my class, the apps... Yeah, there's often more 'stuff' to promote.

Listening to this week's show, I realized what it is for me.  A lot of the listener comments are going to the app,  which I can't get, not having a smart phone.  So a lot of the "conversation" is conversation with listeners, and there is far less of that on the regular show than there used to be.  So the other non-conversation stuff stands out.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 02:01:37 PM »
I think the show is still great.  And Josh is a great, but different, co-host.  It's wonderful how you guys disagree and we get to hear some great other perspectives from other guests and SVU folks.  I really like the way you guys are mixing it up.

My only problem with the show is a "good" problem-- that it sounds more like a radio show.  More ads, more time on donations, more time spent advertising special events and stuff.  This means that the program is becoming more solvent, which is good, and more listeners, which is good.  But it also means more "dead" time where there isn't any real conversation going on.  The more ads, the less interested I am, and I can't help but wonder if that isn't the case for others.

But as far as the conversation goes, I think it's as good as ever.
Naturally, you'd post this the week that we have no 'notes' about special events or anything else in segment 2. But coming off a week when we had a bunch. :)

Time spent on things like Audible and Donations is actually no more or less than it was 1, 2 or 3 years ago. But you add in Fandor for MT, special events like #400, my class, the apps... Yeah, there's often more 'stuff' to promote.

Listening to this week's show, I realized what it is for me.  A lot of the listener comments are going to the app,  which I can't get, not having a smart phone.  So a lot of the "conversation" is conversation with listeners, and there is far less of that on the regular show than there used to be.  So the other non-conversation stuff stands out.
All of the bonus content is available on the site too, just fyi.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 02:20:18 PM »
Thanks.  I'll get it for certain, then.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

spoko

• Elite Member
  • Hero of the Great Taco Syndicate
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »

I won't. The whole point of a podcast is that it comes to you; you don't have to go and find it. I almost never listen to anything talk-related via my computer; it's exclusively from my iPod. So unless I know there's something there I need to hear, chances are very good I won't hear it.

I'm a bit bothered by how much stuff is only in bonus content now. Particularly the awards from the last Marathon--the awards are a pretty significant part of the Marathon discussion, because they really bring to the fore a lot of your ideas about the Marathon--both of the specific moments, etc., and also of the Marathon in general. There was a real void there; I hope you won't continue to do that for every Marathon. It was your awards discussions (and not the film-by-film discussions) that convinced me I needed to watch the Powell/Pressburger films, and the same goes for some stuff from previous Marathons.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 04:55:47 PM »

I won't. The whole point of a podcast is that it comes to you; you don't have to go and find it. I almost never listen to anything talk-related via my computer; it's exclusively from my iPod. So unless I know there's something there I need to hear, chances are very good I won't hear it.

I'm a bit bothered by how much stuff is only in bonus content now. Particularly the awards from the last Marathon--the awards are a pretty significant part of the Marathon discussion, because they really bring to the fore a lot of your ideas about the Marathon--both of the specific moments, etc., and also of the Marathon in general. There was a real void there; I hope you won't continue to do that for every Marathon. It was your awards discussions (and not the film-by-film discussions) that convinced me I needed to watch the Powell/Pressburger films, and the same goes for some stuff from previous Marathons.
If you deem that extra content not worthy of a one-time payment of $1.99, that's totally your call and cool... but I don't think we have a responsibility to provide 'extra' free stuff to anyone. Especially when we are providing it free on our website.

I can't guarantee we won't continue to put awards in bonus content... can't guarantee we'll do it either. But our shows are already too long for radio, and we don't have the time or energy to construct separate shows around our Marathons... and the percentage of people, realistically, following along and invested in the awards is probably minimal... Which makes it, frankly, ideal 'bonus' content.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

spoko

• Elite Member
  • Hero of the Great Taco Syndicate
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 06:40:44 PM »

If you deem that extra content not worthy of a one-time payment of $1.99, that's totally your call and cool... but I don't think we have a responsibility to provide 'extra' free stuff to anyone. Especially when we are providing it free on our website.

I can't guarantee we won't continue to put awards in bonus content... can't guarantee we'll do it either. But our shows are already too long for radio, and we don't have the time or energy to construct separate shows around our Marathons... and the percentage of people, realistically, following along and invested in the awards is probably minimal... Which makes it, frankly, ideal 'bonus' content.

It's not that I don't think it's worth $2. I have an iPod classic, so the App isn't an option. My only option would be to manually download all that extra content from the web and then manually put it all onto my iPod. I suppose what I'm saying is that it's below that threshold. Then again, I hear you saying that your threshold is a factor of the time constraint of radio and the interested listenership. (Apparently I alone am not enough of an audience for you?) All of which is fair, so I'll probably just grumble into my coffee and make the effort when there's a bonus segment that I really wish I could hear.

shuabert

• Elite Member
    • Caveat Lector (Personal Tumblr)
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 11:31:12 PM »
I see Spoko's point. I would gladly shell out the $2 for the app, but I'm a BlackBerry user, so it's not available. I love the bonus content, but generally forget to go seek it out on the site. Is there any way of pushing it into the main FS feed, or does that defeat the purpose of the app? Honestly, I think FS listeners are generous and would be willing to support the show by downloading the app even if they weren't really getting anything "extra" as a result. In reality, they already aren't, if you can access the bonus content on the site anyway.

george96

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 11:31:37 AM »
A different perspective and background between the hosts helps as well in my opinion.  That's why I was rooting so hard for Dana or Allison as replacements.  It would have been really great to have a female perspective for a while after the single guy.

I was rooting for Dana, as well. But I think the 'same background' pick has turned out surprising well. Adam and Josh are settling into their grooves, and I think 'Filmspotting 3.0' will get better with time.

Can't say that listening to vintage Matty doesn't bring a tear to my eye and a sting to my chest, though.

love