love

Author Topic: Filmspotting - we have a problem  (Read 17540 times)

Moviebuff28

• Elite Member
Re: Filmspotting - we have a problem
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 07:12:52 PM »
The bonus content is where I really felt Josh came alive.  The Prometheus arguements and his throw away line about getting a "I ♥ We Need to Talk About Kevin" on spring break was hilarious.

dheaton

• Public Transportation Snob
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 03:18:32 PM »
This is an interesting discussion.  Going back to when Sam left and Matty arrived, I had some major difficulty enjoying the show at the same level. Once Matty had been on for six months or so, I really started to enjoy Filmspotting in a different way.  There some things that I liked more, while I still missed some parts of Sam's approach.

I expect this will be the same case with Josh.  I really like his relaxed approach to the show and his film knowledge, and I know the chemistry with Adam is only going to grow.  It's been an adjustment, but there are still a lot of great parts of the show each week.  Michael Phillips is one of my favorite critics, and it's fun to start a podcast and then realize he's part of it.  Filmspotting has become more polished over the years, but that isn't a negative change. It's just a different approach. The level of criticism and intellectual curiosity has never been higher on the show, and that's what has drawn me to Filmspotting since the very first episode.
My Film and TV Blog - ptsnob.com
Letterboxd Profile - ptsnob

Robert Holloway

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 12:22:07 AM »
I started this thread and have kept listening - more observations -

About a month after my original post i suddenly realized that Adam and Josh had found their groove. Josh was more relaxed and himself and this communicated to Adam who dropped a gear and stopped babysitting.

I don't mean this critically, because changing host has to be difficult.

Recent weeks have been excellent IMHO.

There really do seem to be more disagreements and Josh's genre appreciation versus art house Adam is a very listenable contrast.

Matty is suddenly a distant memory, and that is a good thing.

Congrats!
Rob

Kristina

• It's all mind...so you might as well enjoy it.
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »
Though we don't post much, my husband and I have been devoted listeners for a few years now.

I have to say, I really like the addition of Josh.  More than I thought.  I like that he and Adam give each other the space to be heard, especially given that they don't agree quite often.  I think this is a big contrast to Matty's bombastic style in which he was constantly interrupting and getting more and more intense in his rants - which seemed to put Adam in a more "balancing" role.  Now, maybe it's just me, it seems to be a bit more relaxed and convivial, though still strong in opinions.