love

Author Topic: June 2012 MDC: Your Personal Top 100  (Read 17918 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
June 2012 MDC: Your Personal Top 100
« on: May 30, 2012, 07:59:55 AM »
Your Personal Top 100

Dictator                             Subject                                   Film
1SO                                   Antares                                    Excalibur
Antares                             PeacefulAnarchy                        Touchez Pas au Grisbi
Jared                                 tjwells                                       Classe tous risques (The Big Risk)
KasperL                             verbALs                                     Letter From an Unknown Woman
Martin Teller                      KasperL                                    Charulata
PeacefulAnarchy                1SO                                          The Cloud-Capped Star
sdedalus                            Martin Teller                              Los Angeles Plays Itself
tjwells                               Verite                                         Fanny and Alexander
verbALs                             sdedalus                                   Brighton Rock
Verite                                Jared                                         Memories of Murder
Sandy                               oldkid                                        Bright Star
oldkid                                Sandy                                        The Mission
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:22:01 AM by ses »
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: June 2012 MDC
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 09:40:31 AM »
In.

How about we each get to dictate something from our Personal Top 100?

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:08:26 AM »
in.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:11:42 AM »
In.

Personal top 100 is not bad, but it seems like we should wait until after the FS Top 100 is done.  I know some people (ahem, me) haven't finalized their top 100 yet.

June is the start of summer... how about "summer movies"?  Left up to the interpretation of the dictator.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:22:50 AM »
In.

I like the top 100 idea.  Using last year's in preparation for this year's.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 10:44:33 AM »
I'm in, though I haven't seen my May dictation, it should be done by the weekend.

KasperL

• letterboxd.com/KasperL & fb.com/favoritefilms
    • Criticker
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 12:05:25 PM »
I'm in for the Top-100 (Martin, if the list isn't finished then maybe just use your 100 highest rated on Criticker for now?).

One thing to consider about this particular choice for MDC is how personal the lists ought to be... What I mean is this: 'Dumb & Dumber' would figure highly among my personal favorites but even though I love that film dearly I would understand if others maybe didn't hold it in the same regard.

My point is that another variation where we would construct lists for which we tried to settle on 100 Must-Sees or 100 Masterpieces might be an interesting approach.

What I'm suggesting is that we each might seek to weed out (semi-)guilty pleasures in a tricky attempt to constrict the lists to the very "best" films we've seen, based more on  originality, execution and whatever other admirable qualities than on personal preferences.

No matter we decide, I think it should be helpful to consider whether this MDC is about dictating films we love or films that we hope others are likely to enjoy (preferably both, obviously!).

Either way, I'm in :)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 12:30:37 PM »
My thought wasn't to dictate Lawrence of Arabia because it's a film everyone should watch, but to make this an opportunity to dictate something probably special to your list. A film that you wish more people would seek out because it's not just good or great, but Top 100 Great.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 12:47:50 PM »
I would assume a film that is somewhat unique to your list, a film you think others would like that they maybe haven't heard much about before.  Like, going off my list, no one needs a dictation to know that they should see Seven Samurai, but maybe a kick to see A Canterbury Tale would be nice.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 12:57:06 PM »
I would assume a film that is somewhat unique to your list, a film you think others would like that they maybe haven't heard much about before.  Like, going off my list, no one needs a dictation to know that they should see Seven Samurai, but maybe a kick to see A Canterbury Tale would be nice.

Exactly. I want to see a film that YOU want ME to watch.