love

Author Topic: #400 Live: Top 5 Things We Learned From The Movies  (Read 6191 times)

ohiodeb

Re: #400 Live: Top 5 Things We Learned From The Movies
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 10:38:25 AM »
Hey Adam and Josh!! 

Congrats on a GREAT live episode.  Loved all of it, even though I am with Michael Phillips on the Wes Anderson question.  It was nice to hear Dana and Michael articulate a lot of the reasons for my dislike of most of his films--especially since I really was not aware of what it is that so actively puts me off when I try to watch one.

BTW, have completely revised my opinion of Phillips, also.  A few years back, I didn't like him at all, and felt he was phony and off-putting in his comments, but I really think at this point that he adds A LOT to the discussion.  I take it all back! I was wrong about him, totally. 

I want to SEE this entire thing and hope we will eventually be able to do that!!!  Possibility? 

Thanks for all you do!!

So, top 5 things learned from movies:

1.  Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line.
2.  Never sell your publishing.
3.  Politics and politicians may change over time, but will always remain slightly or majorly soiled. (Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Chinatown, etc.)
4.  One's point of view when watching movies changes RADICALLY as one ages -- once I was Elaine, and now I am Mrs. Robinson. 
5.  Parents and parenting may change over time, but will always remain a source of great stories; you can never go wrong loving a child, no matter what. 

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 02:44:39 PM »
Thanks deb! Did MP talk about Wes though? Josh's Rushmore pick?
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

ohiodeb

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 07:36:35 AM »
Oh crap, that was Dana talking about Anderson, not MP.  Sorry.  LOVE DANA, BTW.  Never miss SCGF and the Spoilers. She is one of the few female voices out there for movie criticism.  Go Dana and Alison Wilmore, too!! 

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 01:39:51 PM »
Great episode but did anyone else think Micheal basically missed the point of the top five?

Yeah it seemed like he didn't get the memo... or got an entirely different memo.  Still, a top 5 for the five senses might be a fun one for the show.

Very nitpicky comment on Dana's Gaslight talk: the light going up and down is not part of Boyer's plan to make Bergman think she's crazy (although it inadvertantly helps).  It's a side effect of him sneaking up to the attic and turning the gas light on up there, which dims the lights everywhere else in the house.

I told you it was nitpicky.

Totoro

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 07:08:10 PM »
Michael Philips should be in a Woody Allen film. His, uh... "way", I guess you could call it, of, *sigh* SPEAKING is just so, so, Allen-esque *ahem* that it would really be uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... interesting to see him in one of his, er, um FILMS.

wuatenigenu1

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 12:19:11 PM »
Michael Philips should be in a Woody Allen film. His, uh... "way", I guess you could call it, of, *sigh* SPEAKING is just so, so, Allen-esque *ahem* that it would really be uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... interesting to see him in one of his, er, um FILMS.

Spot on.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 12:21:25 PM »
LOVE DANA, BTW.  Never miss SCGF and the Spoilers. She is one of the few female voices out there for movie criticism.  Go Dana and Alison Wilmore, too!!
Amen.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 03:43:37 PM »
Adam, Im still kind of suprised youve never watched the Back to the Future sequels, being such a fan of the original (forgive me if youve seen them since then). The second one is actually quite a bit of fun.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 03:44:41 PM »
Adam, Im still kind of suprised youve never watched the Back to the Future sequels, being such a fan of the original (forgive me if youve seen them since then). The second one is actually quite a bit of fun.
I never bothered with Ghostbusters 2 either, which is odd since I was too young to be cynical about sequels and I loved Ghostbusters as much as any movie up to that point.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Osprey

The Origin/Mythology thing
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 06:48:53 PM »
Thank you, Josh, for pointing out the need to show rickety origins/myth framework that exists in a lot of these genre movies.  In particular, the first super hero movie in a series often spends most of the film trying to set up the character and world and then unveils the actual plot in the time it has left.  It is much harder to just drop the audience into a scenario and have them figure things out on their own, with only limited exposition.