love

Author Topic: New York Doll  (Read 2588 times)

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
New York Doll
« on: June 18, 2012, 12:12:40 PM »
I was born and raised Mormon, but I've been an atheist for the past 12 years.  My parents have been in mourning since I told them.  When your parents are devout and you're not, it's hard for them to ever, ever talk to you about anything besides When You're Going to Wake Up and Go Back to Church. 

My mother is particularly zealous on this front.  We have so little in common anymore... It's like we speak different languages.  If you met my mom you'd have a hard time believing we're even related.  She's Shirley, I'm Britta, and we're both pretty convinced the other is doing life wrong.

She brought New York Doll to me in 2006.  "We're going to watch this together."  Picture a more pure version of Doris Day handing you a documentary about a member of one of the most infamous glam-punk rock bands of all time-- What would you do?  ;D

My defenses went up.  It had to be a trap.  But she'd made cookies, and... I like cookies.

So we watched it together.  I expected a glib, one-dimensional, heavily Edited-for-Truth-According-to-Mormonism movie.  Instead, I saw a beautiful portrait of one man's life, warts and all, and I loved it. 

I don't hear this movie discussed much, and although it received critical kudos here and there I wonder how many people have heard of it.  Don't hesitate to give it a try if you get the chance. 

I'm still an atheist, Mom's still a Mormon, but New York Doll gets two thumbs up from two people who won't ever, ever agree on anything else.   
The answers you seek are in Norway.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: New York Doll
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »
Haven't seen it yet,  but definitely want to.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:28:04 PM »
I saw a beautiful portrait of one man's life, warts and all, and I loved it. 
This. Something else that wowed me was how the documentary came about and the small window of time for it all to come together. Loved your post OmNom. My thought is that if a religion speaks to you, pursue it. If not, pursue what does. I wish your mom would step back a little so she could see your greatness--she's missing out. (and you can quote me on that  :) ) As for the film, I'm glad that Arthur Kane found somewhere safe to fall and find peace. My favorite moment was when David Johansen and Brian Koonin honor Kane in a song, a pioneer one at that. "...and should we die before our journey's through, happy day all is well..." I got all choked up.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:31:24 PM by Sandy »

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »
I saw a beautiful portrait of one man's life, warts and all, and I loved it. 
This. Something else that wowed me was how the documentary came about and the small window of time for it all to come together. Loved your post OmNom. My thought is that if a religion speaks to you, pursue it. If not, pursue what does. I wish your mom would step back a little so she could see your greatness--she's missing out. (and you can quote me on that  :) ) As for the film, I'm glad that Arthur Kane found somewhere safe to fall and find peace. My favorite moment was when David Johansen and Brian Koonin honor Kane in a song, a pioneer one at that. "...and should we die before our journey's through, happy day all is well..." I got all choked up.

Aw, thanks for for your kind words, Sandy.   :)  I'm glad you've seen this too! 

Who knows... Maybe we can convert a few more glam rockers.  I might show up on Sunday for that eh.   ;D
The answers you seek are in Norway.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 07:54:03 PM »
 :D Raise the roof!