love

Author Topic: Teach Me...  (Read 22577 times)

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
Re: Teach Me...
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »
This feels like an assignment, are we gonna get marked for this?

I'll have to get back to you on this.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 11:10:55 AM »
Well, I'm afraid my knowledge of dancing is limited. I only know about historical dances, such as Branle Double, Sherewsbury Lasses and Estampie Real no. 5. Not exactly something you can use an ordinarly night out.

As of modern dances, I'm clueless.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 11:52:32 AM »

I think truly tough people are the ones who don't allow their enthusiasm, empathy, humour or sensitivity to be worn away by other people, or circumstances or the generally emotionally rough place that the world is. That also means you don't contribute to the cynicism of the world by blocking other people from expressing themselves (especially your kids). Sometimes it means stepping up and bumping back, when others bump you, and I find people are amazed at some of the things I won't allow them to say to me without getting a reaction. It means I make mistakes, but I tend to think if you aren't making mistakes, it might be a sign you aren't learning or prepared to learn by doing.

The image of one bad apple spoiling the barrel is an apt one. Act to remove those bad thoughts (the ones that stop you getting on with life), be conscious of avoiding negative people who will end up making you feel negative- the negative ones tend to make up about 10% of the population so why let a minority ruin the fun for the rest of us (that's not aimed at anyone here- we are the little overachievers in my mind).

On Thursday, my son (he's 9) and I were talking about what makes a man "tough".  Yes, Chuck Norris came up, because I was after all having a conversation with a 9 year-old boy.  Your definition is wonderful, verbAL, and I'm going to use it.  Thank you!
The answers you seek are in Norway.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 12:03:54 PM »
Your welcome, I'm glad it even made sense. :o ;D
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 06:09:06 PM »
Bondo: How to speak with conviction.

I find a generally negative view of mankind helps.

I was thinking more on the lines of your ability to study and analyze information before coming to a conclusion.  :)

I'm afraid this is the only thing I feel qualified to teach. Mild language: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJxYiIfr4WM

:D I think I've mastered it. Thanks Junior!

This feels like an assignment, are we gonna get marked for this?

I'll have to get back to you on this.

Monty! Not an assignment. Maybe I should have called the thread. "Attributes of filmspotters that I wish I possessed." What I meant to convey is that you've already taught me what it is to be gracious. Now, if you have more insights to share, I'd take the advice. :)

Well, I'm afraid my knowledge of dancing is limited. I only know about historical dances, such as Branle Double, Sherewsbury Lasses and Estampie Real no. 5. Not exactly something you can use an ordinarly night out.

As of modern dances, I'm clueless.

Those are the exact dances I was referring to. Dave and Junior can take care of the modern stuff. If you've ever recorded your dances or have links to what they look like, I'd love to see them.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 07:02:33 PM »
verbALs: How to be alive while living.

Sorry for the flippant answer, last night.

No jokey comments I swear, I'll be serious for 5 seconds.

I think truly tough people are the ones who don't allow their enthusiasm, empathy, humour or sensitivity to be worn away by other people, or circumstances or the generally emotionally rough place that the world is. That also means you don't contribute to the cynicism of the world by blocking other people from expressing themselves (especially your kids). Sometimes it means stepping up and bumping back, when others bump you, and I find people are amazed at some of the things I won't allow them to say to me without getting a reaction. It means I make mistakes, but I tend to think if you aren't making mistakes, it might be a sign you aren't learning or prepared to learn by doing.

The image of one bad apple spoiling the barrel is an apt one. Act to remove those bad thoughts (the ones that stop you getting on with life), be conscious of avoiding negative people who will end up making you feel negative- the negative ones tend to make up about 10% of the population so why let a minority ruin the fun for the rest of us (that's not aimed at anyone here- we are the little overachievers in my mind).

I think you already know what I'm talking about Ms. Sandy. I think you are very much alive.

I understood the idea of thriving as being fully alive, but the very act of withstanding and bumping back against the difficulty around me is too? That's a big concept to perceive. I've tried to not tear others down, but wasn't good at protecting myself, so had to learn to toughen up and bump back. It doesn't come naturally to me so that's definitely something to work on.

Do you ever grow weary of being tough or wish that you could just have a soft place to land? This place is the closest facsimile of that to me. I'm taking your advice and am sorting through my barrel. :) I knew I asked you the right question.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »
The logic of my previous statement goes something like this: if you have a positive view of people, you're liable to trust them/take their word for things/worry about disagreeing and it shall compromise your independence of thought when considering things.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 09:14:16 PM »
Antares: How to be brave with cooking.

Brave in what way?

Brave enough to try new foods and recipes or
brave enough to experiment with herbs and spices or
brave enough to wing it without recipes and create your own culinary masterpieces or
brave enough to tweak recipes rather than follow them exactly or
brave enough to try new ways of cooking foods from different ethnic regions?
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 11:49:56 PM »
The logic of my previous statement goes something like this: if you have a positive view of people, you're liable to trust them/take their word for things/worry about disagreeing and it shall compromise your independence of thought when considering things.
:D Liberation!

I really don't see you this way though. I think you may be able to compartmentalize and be objective, but you seem to have a pretty decent view of people in general--I mean just look at how your are an advocate for women. :)

Antares: How to be brave with cooking.

Brave in what way?

Brave enough to try new foods and recipes or
brave enough to experiment with herbs and spices or
brave enough to wing it without recipes and create your own culinary masterpieces or
brave enough to tweak recipes rather than follow them exactly or
brave enough to try new ways of cooking foods from different ethnic regions?
:)) Yes!

I'll try and explain the best way I can. I've been cooking all my life. Since both my parents worked, I was in charge of the meals from my early teens for our large family. I don't worry about following recipes very closely and am able to look in a fridge and make a meal with what is available, but I'm afraid I may have the finesse of an army cook. I love to go to a restaurant and enjoy the creation of others, but I've never created a signature dish, or have taken the time to tweak a recipe until it was just right. Since cooking has always been a task, I've never experienced the passion of it. To hear you talk so lovingly about what you create is just so darn cool.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 07:18:29 AM »
What I wish filmspotters could teach me:

Dave and Lobby: How to dance.

I would love to, unfortunately I am on the wrong side of the world and I am not willing to film myself dancing. Still I see dancing as something that should be taught in-person. One thing I will say find a busy dance floor, wiggle into the middle (so you are well shielded from external viewers) and dance.

love