Author Topic: Teach Me...  (Read 22516 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Teach Me...
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »
What I wish filmspotters could teach me:

Dave and Lobby: How to dance.

I would love to, unfortunately I am on the wrong side of the world and I am not willing to film myself dancing. Still I see dancing as something that should be taught in-person. One thing I will say find a busy dance floor, wiggle into the middle (so you are well shielded from external viewers) and dance.

Will do Dave.  :D

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 12:26:10 PM »
I love to go to a restaurant and enjoy the creation of others, but I've never created a signature dish, or have taken the time to tweak a recipe until it was just right. Since cooking has always been a task, I've never experienced the passion of it. To hear you talk so lovingly about what you create is just so darn cool.

So it boils down to this... you want to find that passion, but unfortunately, it can not be taught to you. You must find it yourself. I learned how to cook because I was never home at meal times. Back then, the microwave oven was still on the horizon, so if i wanted a hot meal, I had to learn to do it myself (That old necessity is the means of invention saying). But, I was lucky enough to have a mother and grand mother who were excellent cooks, so when they were cooking, I'd watch and they'd let me put in the spices. It was like chemistry with food. The passion came later when I would take standard recipes and tweak them slightly to make them even better. Food can be a sensual experience. I love seeing someone take a bite of something I whipped up, and that look of almost orgasmic expression appears on their face.

So if I can teach you one thing when it comes to cooking it is this... To be a great cook you must have an arrogance that says, Nobody can make this recipe better than me. There are certain recipes that I make, that I know that Wolfgang Puck, Emeril Legasse, et al, could not make any better. You give me a recipe and I'll make it step by step the first time. But the next time, I'm going to tweak it slightly to give it more flavor and I'll continue to tweak it until I'm sure that is the best it can possibly be, and that no one has ever made it that good before. Once you have achieved this, make your final recipe for friends, but don't tell them it's something special that you've been working on. Just serve it like it's no big deal, and watch their faces when they take a bite. If it goes suddenly quiet, and then you start to hear them emitting low moans of pleasure, look up to see if anyone is rolling back their eyes in pleasure, if so, then you've been successful *. Soak in the moment and don't look for a compliment (because sometimes they just say it's great to be nice ;) ), be thankful for the visual evidence of their happiness. The first time this happens for you, a seed of culinary passion will be sown in you. It is then up to you to nurture that passion and expand upon it.

One thing my wife hears me say a lot is this... I pity people who don't know how to cook, they don't know what they are missing. If you're going to have to eat everyday to survive, you might as well make it a king's feast, every chance you get.

* - Like my grand mother, when I'm feeding a group of people, I always come up with some excuse to go back into the kitchen when we start the meal. I don't want them to feel obligated to compliment. You miss the initial expressions on their faces, but you'll hear the moaning if they like it. That expression returns with each bite if they like it anyway.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:28:45 PM by Antares »
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »
Sandy! You wanted links with examples of what kind of dances I dance.

Here you are.

http://dineth.forodrim.org/movies.html

Unfortunately I'm not in any of the films, but this is the dancing guild I belong to. Most of the time we dance in ordinary clothes in a basement, like in one of the films. But sometimes we dress up in old looking clothes, which certainly adds a bit of atmosphere.

But actually just hearing those songs playing up is enough for me to move hundreds of years back in my imagination. It's great fun!
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »
AAAutin: How to think outside the box.

Stay away from John Doe, thereby avoiding the box altogether.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 07:00:19 PM »
I love to go to a restaurant and enjoy the creation of others, but I've never created a signature dish, or have taken the time to tweak a recipe until it was just right. Since cooking has always been a task, I've never experienced the passion of it. To hear you talk so lovingly about what you create is just so darn cool.

So it boils down to this... you want to find that passion, but unfortunately, it can not be taught to you. You must find it yourself. I learned how to cook because I was never home at meal times. Back then, the microwave oven was still on the horizon, so if i wanted a hot meal, I had to learn to do it myself (That old necessity is the means of invention saying). But, I was lucky enough to have a mother and grand mother who were excellent cooks, so when they were cooking, I'd watch and they'd let me put in the spices. It was like chemistry with food. The passion came later when I would take standard recipes and tweak them slightly to make them even better. Food can be a sensual experience. I love seeing someone take a bite of something I whipped up, and that look of almost orgasmic expression appears on their face.

So if I can teach you one thing when it comes to cooking it is this... To be a great cook you must have an arrogance that says, Nobody can make this recipe better than me. There are certain recipes that I make, that I know that Wolfgang Puck, Emeril Legasse, et al, could not make any better. You give me a recipe and I'll make it step by step the first time. But the next time, I'm going to tweak it slightly to give it more flavor and I'll continue to tweak it until I'm sure that is the best it can possibly be, and that no one has ever made it that good before. Once you have achieved this, make your final recipe for friends, but don't tell them it's something special that you've been working on. Just serve it like it's no big deal, and watch their faces when they take a bite. If it goes suddenly quiet, and then you start to hear them emitting low moans of pleasure, look up to see if anyone is rolling back their eyes in pleasure, if so, then you've been successful *. Soak in the moment and don't look for a compliment (because sometimes they just say it's great to be nice ;) ), be thankful for the visual evidence of their happiness. The first time this happens for you, a seed of culinary passion will be sown in you. It is then up to you to nurture that passion and expand upon it.

One thing my wife hears me say a lot is this... I pity people who don't know how to cook, they don't know what they are missing. If you're going to have to eat everyday to survive, you might as well make it a king's feast, every chance you get.

* - Like my grand mother, when I'm feeding a group of people, I always come up with some excuse to go back into the kitchen when we start the meal. I don't want them to feel obligated to compliment. You miss the initial expressions on their faces, but you'll hear the moaning if they like it. That expression returns with each bite if they like it anyway.

Antares! The first thing I want to say is that I wish I could go to one of your dinner parties. :D I love how you are so nonchalant about serving the meal and even leave the room so they can have a personal experience with it.  --so well orchestrated! To be able to make food that pleases at that level is astonishing and I can see why success would compel you to continue to create.

My cooking is nurturing, satisfying and well liked (Ha! Are we still talking about food? :)) The line's gotten all blurry.), but arrogance is a new idea to me as is using that arrogance to produce food at that level. It's scandalous. :) I better start out with something simple so since I make a decent pico de gallo, I'll use your formula and try and make it fabulous! Thank you so much. Your post was a lot of fun to read.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 07:12:43 PM »
Sandy! You wanted links with examples of what kind of dances I dance.

Here you are.

http://dineth.forodrim.org/movies.html

Unfortunately I'm not in any of the films, but this is the dancing guild I belong to. Most of the time we dance in ordinary clothes in a basement, like in one of the films. But sometimes we dress up in old looking clothes, which certainly adds a bit of atmosphere.

But actually just hearing those songs playing up is enough for me to move hundreds of years back in my imagination. It's great fun!

I can see why you enjoy this. :) It's nice to think that these dances are being preserved. Some of the best scenes in costume dramas are dances where the characters go through the steps while having flirty, biting conversations. Thanks for linking for me.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 07:14:26 PM »
AAAutin: How to think outside the box.

Stay away from John Doe, thereby avoiding the box altogether.

:o Are you referring to Shade Sheist? Otherwise, I'm going to need some help. :)

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 09:49:32 PM »

(Be wary of the strangers 1SO attracts.)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 10:04:58 PM »
(Be wary of the strangers 1SO attracts.)

:) Two questions answered. I was wondering what his avatar was from. I've conveniently missed Se7en all these years.

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 10:10:20 PM »
I've conveniently missed Se7en all these years.

SEVEN can teach you more than I ever could.

love