Author Topic: Teach Me...  (Read 22510 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Teach Me...
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 10:12:36 PM »
I've conveniently missed Se7en all these years.

SEVEN can teach you more than I ever could.

I might never sleep again. *shudder*

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »
I might never sleep again. *shudder*

Well, prolonged sleep deprivation will certainly have you thinking outside the...everything.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 10:19:10 PM »
Well, prolonged sleep deprivation will certainly have you thinking outside the...everything.

Your teaching methods are very strange, yet effective.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 10:56:41 PM »
I better start out with something simple so since I make a decent pico de gallo,

OK, so here's a thought...

Do you have a good seafood market in your town? If so, then buy some Halibut steaks, but makes sure the halibut is fresh. It should be paper white in color, no off coloring on the edges. You'll also need one lime. You saute the steaks in butter, and when the fish is almost done, your going to squeeze lime juice over them. Then place the steaks on a plate and top them with your Pico de gallo.

For accompaniments, you'll need a small amount of chorizo sausage, red and green peppers, garlic and onions. Depending on how many people you will be feeding, you'll take 1 cup white rice, 1-3/4 cups chicken broth, 2 tbsp. Sofrito, 1/2 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika, 1 small Jalapeno pepper finely minced (remember to wear gloves when you do this!!!!). Saute the sausage, peppers, onions and garlic in EVOO, add rice and saute for a minute longer. Add chicken broth and spices, cover and simmer for twenty minutes. After twenty minutes, let sit covered for 5 minutes to make sure all moisture is absorbed by the rice. This is enough rice for 3 people, so if you have more showing up, adjust accordingly. The great thing about this rice is that it reheats well, so don't be afraid to make extra.

For the vegetable, blanch some fresh green beans. Take 6 tomatillos and removes the husks, and slice into 1/4 inch pieces. Take a couple of slices of salt pork and render a bit of pork fat in a saute pan. Remove the pork pieces and add the green beans and the tomatillo slices. When the tomatillos start to wilt, the beans should be done.

Now you have the option of making a bed of the rice, then placing the fish steaks on top with your Pico de gallo, and you can border the rice and fish with the green beans. It will look great on the plate, very colorful. Now you have a Southwestern series of items which will meld together nicely. You have the cool freshness of the Pico de Gallo, the spiciness of the rice, and the citrus flavor of the tomatillos with the green beans. I'd serve a white Sangria, and watch your friend's reactions!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:09:44 PM by Antares »
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 11:14:34 PM »
I better start out with something simple so since I make a decent pico de gallo,
OK, so here's a thought...

My own personal culinary school! Except for the Sangria, I think I can pull this off, or at least have fun trying. :) Do you use homemade Sofrito, or does it come in a jar? I might have some time this weekend and will report back with the results. Antares, you're the greatest!

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 11:27:45 PM »
My own personal culinary school! Except for the Sangria, I think I can pull this off, or at least have fun trying. :) Do you use homemade Sofrito, or does it come in a jar?

If you can find all the ingredients, then do make it from scratch. You can make it in a batch and then portion it into ice cube trays and freeze it for later uses. But you can use the sofrito in a jar.

Also, white sangria is easy to make. Take 1 bottle of white wine (I like to make it with either a Riesling or a Gewurtztraminer), 1 lime, 1 lemon, 2 oranges, 1 cup cointreau, 1/2 cup brandy, 1 pint orange juice, and 1 can of sprite. Slice up the fruit and put into a pitcher, muddle the fruit slightly and add everything else, except the sprite and chill covered for at least 24 hours. Just before you're ready to serve, shake well, and pour your mixture over ice in big wine goblets, and top with a little of the sprite. One word of warning!!!! These go down so easy, and they will kick you like a mule if you drink too much. You've been warned. ;)
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »
Also, white sangria is easy to make. Take 1 bottle of white wine (I like to make it with either a Riesling or a Gewurtztraminer), 1 lime, 1 lemon, 2 oranges, 1 cup cointreau, 1/2 cup brandy, 1 pint orange juice, and 1 can of sprite. Slice up the fruit and put into a pitcher, muddle the fruit slightly and add everything else, except the sprite and chill covered for at least 24 hours. Just before you're ready to serve, shake well, and pour your mixture over ice in big wine goblets, and top with a little of the sprite. One word of warning!!!! These go down so easy, and they will kick you like a mule if you drink too much. You've been warned. ;)

:)) Yeah, that would kick me like a mule. What I meant to say is that I don't drink, so maybe I could still pull together the fruit, juice and sprite.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2012, 11:46:29 PM »

:)) Yeah, that would kick me like a mule. What I meant to say is that I don't drink, so maybe I could still pull together the fruit, juice and sprite.

OK...modification... take 1 lime, 1 lemon, 2 oranges, 3 red papayas, 1 quart pineapple juice, 1 quart orange juice, 1/4 cup agave nectar and 1 quart soda water. Skin papayas, and puree the pulp. Slice fruit and muddle in a pitcher, then add papaya, agave nectar and juices. Cover and shake well. Fill halfway into goblets over ice and top with soda water. Refreshing tropical fruit spritzers.

If you want, you can also add some pureed mango, but if you do, you'll want to cut the agave nectar in half.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2012, 11:54:40 PM »
OK...modification... take 1 lime, 1 lemon, 2 oranges, 3 red papayas, 1 quart pineapple juice, 1 quart orange juice, 1/4 cup agave nectar and 1 quart soda water. Skin papayas, and puree the pulp. Slice fruit and muddle in a pitcher, then add papaya, agave nectar and juices. Cover and shake well. Fill halfway into goblets over ice and top with soda water. Refreshing tropical fruit spritzers.

If you want, you can also add some pureed mango, but if you do, you'll want to cut the agave nectar in half.

Thank you. :)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 03:11:20 AM »
What I wish filmspotters could teach me:
oldkid: How to see beyond the here and now.

Hmmmm....  I'm not sure this is something one teaches. My wife suggests a Magic 8 Ball.  Verbals might suggest alcohol.

There are two ways to go with this, at least three ways that I know how: futurism, deep focus and mysticism.

1. Jesus futurism
(Those who consider Christian stuff to be mumbo jumbo, you can skip this paragraph.  Or you can read it if you want to be entertained.  Whatever.)
In the teaching of Jesus, the secret to living a right life here is to constantly be considering the future, especially one's future with God.  Jesus' ethical teaching is constantly referring to the future state-- not necessarily "heaven", but the final judgment of God and one's eternal state.  There are three basic principles he refers to:
    a. How we treat others (especially those under our authority) is how God will treat us
    "Judge not lest you be judged" "Forgive and you will be forgiven" "By whatever measure you measure, by that measure you will be measured."  "Enter into the kingdom prepared for you... for when I was a stranger you invited me in."
    b. Whatever we take for ourselves, we will be given the opposite
    "Those who exalt themselves will be humbled, those who humble themselves will be exalted."
    c.  Whatever kind of suffering/comfort we find ourselves in now, we will be living the opposite
     "In your life you received good things and Lazarus evil; even so, now he is comforted and you are in agony."  "Blessed are you who mourn, for you shall be comforted." "Woe to you who are rich for you have already received your comfort; woe to you who laugh now for you shall mourn and weep."
In the end, Jesus' recommendation for us to live beyond the present is to remember the future.  He told us clearly what the future holds (in general terms), if we can remember the future, it will actively change the present.  And this is the most important thing: the point of looking beyond the here and now is to change the here and now.  Because if we do not change the here and now, then our "beyond" will always look the same.

2. Deep focus
This is a paradoxical piece of advice to look beyond the here and now, and that is to look deeply into the here and now.  This doesn't mean take up particle physics (unless that is your deepest desire), but instead to be so "here" that other "heres" are relatively insignificant.  Another way of saying this is in a phrase in an old tract: Don't be caught up by the urgent, but instead focus on the important.  What are the one or two most important things in your life?  I know your kids are one.  So deeply focus on caring for and loving them that other things fade away.  Yes, you will miss opportunities.  There will be so many "good" things that seem important.  And for someone without a focus, they may very well be important.  But once you have the one or two things that are really important to you, let everything else go.  To everyone else, you will seem to be "in another world" or "unrealistic" or "obsessed."  And they'd be right.  My two focuses are the homeless and my immediate family.  Everything else is but shadow to me.  People tell me that I need a break or that I need to focus on my health more or whatever.  But I can't do that (unless I'm watching a movie).  I've got more important things to do than to measure my life by someone else's standard.

3. Mysticism
There are two things that are essential ingredients to a happy, productive life: love and silence.  We must give and receive love, which can keep us very busy.  But we must balance out our love with silence.  In silence is prayer, it is rest, it is renewal, it is peace.  More often than not, we can find both God and ourselves in the silence.  For those full of fear or anxiety or guilt or doubt or pain, silence is frightening.  But it is still essential because without silence we cannot properly process and move past these issues.  In order for silence to do it's work, we must trust the Spirit in the silence.  Trust that the Spirit will heal us, and will empower us to keep living.  Trust that if we listen, the Spirit will speak.   And in an age of the internet and iPods and social networks, silence is hard to achieve.  There are so many things we "need" to do.  And our minds are so busy.  We need to stop and allow our minds to rest and allow the Spirit to do some work for us.  So, at times, we desperately need to shut our computers off, take our headphones out, get in the shower and turn on the water.  Or I like to occasionally go to a monastery and take a few days of silence (Trappist monasteries are good for that, and many have lodging for men and women).

Sermon's done. I think I'll go to the silence of sleep now.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky