Author Topic: Teach Me...  (Read 22513 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Teach Me...
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2012, 07:36:01 PM »
That looks yummy

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2012, 07:48:16 PM »
What's are those things canoodling with the beans?

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2012, 07:52:51 PM »
That looks yummy

Thanks Martin! My son just showed me the picture he took on his better camera, so I'll put that up and the food will look even yummier. :)

What's are those things canoodling with the beans?

Those are tomatillos. :D I wasn't sure how to slice them and I didn't have Antares' phone number, so I guessed.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2012, 08:08:35 PM »

Hmm, maybe not better. The tomatillos aren't very pretty--maybe I just needed to cook them longer so they looked less slimy. They tasted good though.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2012, 08:28:25 PM »
Your countertop looks like the same type I just put in. Corian, Flint.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2012, 08:39:41 PM »
Your countertop looks like the same type I just put in. Corian, Flint.

:D Good choice. Easy to clean, especially since my last counter top was tile--who thinks up those things?

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2012, 08:43:28 PM »
I could use some plating instructions.

You got it right, that's exactly how it should look. It looks fresh and eye catching, I'd be proud to place that in front of someone at a restaurant. Hell, you'd get $25.95 for it. Congratulations!

The tomatillos aren't very pretty--maybe I just needed to cook them longer so they looked less slimy. They tasted good though.

You don't want to cook them any longer than what you did, because they'll fall apart. Tomatillos aren't the most aesthetically pleasing looking fruit when you cook them, but they have a wonderful citrusy flavor that goes well with salt pork.

Now come the questions, if I may, because I whipped up that recipe in my head the day I posted it....

1. Did the lime juice go well with your Pico de Gallo on the fish?

2. How did the smoked paprika and sofrito blend together in the rice and was it spicy good, not spicy hot?

3. Did you like the taste of the salt pork, together with the citrus taste of the tomatillos on the green beans?

4. Overall, did all three items meld well together, or did one item seem out of place, from a taste standpoint? What I basically mean is, was one thing overpowering, or did anything not seem to fit the character of the meal?

5. What were your friends responses? Thumbs up, thumbs down or meh!

6. Did you also wind up making those citrus spritzers?

I just want you to know that this completely made my day. I'm going to go crack open a bottle of port and have myself a little celebration. If you ever want any more ideas, just let me know. I hope this sews the seed of culinary passion in you.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2012, 09:24:45 PM »
You got it right, that's exactly how it should look. It looks fresh and eye catching, I'd be proud to place that in front of someone at a restaurant. Hell, you'd get $25.95 for it. Congratulations!

:)) I'm glad I have a marketable skill in case I need it. Though, working in a restaurant must be one of the most demanding of jobs.

The tomatillos aren't very pretty--maybe I just needed to cook them longer so they looked less slimy. They tasted good though.

You don't want to cook them any longer than what you did, because they'll fall apart. Tomatillos aren't the most aesthetically pleasing looking fruit when you cook them, but they have a wonderful citrusy flavor that goes well with salt pork.

Now come the questions, if I may, because I whipped up that recipe in my head the day I posted it....

I cooked for my family so there were adults and children at the meal.

1. Did the lime juice go well with your Pico de Gallo on the fish?

First, one of the ingredients in my Pico de Gallo is lime juice and since I love limes, between the fish and the pico, it was perfect.

2. How did the smoked paprika and sofrito blend together in the rice and was it spicy good, not spicy hot?

This is what I had the most comments on. Everyone loved it, so I'm glad I doubled the recipe. I'm really happy to get to use the paprika and sofrito more often. They are a great combination with the peppers, onions and garlic. I used a small jalapeno and nobody commented on the heat--I could detect a little and it added to the dish.

3. Did you like the taste of the salt pork, together with the citrus taste of the tomatillos on the green beans?

I had never cooked with tomatillos before and had fun trying to figure out what they were supposed to look like. I liked the mixed flavors. My kids gave me their tomatillos. :) They loved the beans a lot.

4. Overall, did all three items meld well together, or did one item seem out of place, from a taste standpoint? What I basically mean is, was one thing overpowering, or did anything not seem to fit the character of the meal?

They all worked together really well. Nothing was too strong or took attention away from anything else. You created a great combination. I especially loved the heat of the rice against the cool of the pico de gallo.

5. What were your friends responses? Thumbs up, thumbs down or meh!

For those that love fish, it was thumbs way up. For those that don't, they still were impressed with the fish, so it was still thumbs up.

6. Did you also wind up making those citrus spritzers?

Oops, I didn't take a picture. My kids preferred these over the meal. :) I couldn't find red papaya, so used yellow papaya, which still worked, but I bet the color would have been even better with the red.  I think I'll try the mango version sometime to see how that works.

I just want you to know that this completely made my day. I'm going to go crack open a bottle of port and have myself a little celebration. If you ever want any more ideas, just let me know. I hope this sews the seed of culinary passion in you.

Antares, you helped me be brave with my cooking and success begets success, so I now look forward to trying new things. Thank you so much for writing to me about passionate cooking and creating that recipe for me to try out. It was so nice of you. Many, many thanks.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:29:39 PM by Sandy »

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2012, 11:19:02 PM »
OK...modification... take 1 lime, 1 lemon, 2 oranges, 3 red papayas, 1 quart pineapple juice, 1 quart orange juice, 1/4 cup agave nectar and 1 quart soda water. Skin papayas, and puree the pulp. Slice fruit and muddle in a pitcher, then add papaya, agave nectar and juices. Cover and shake well. Fill halfway into goblets over ice and top with soda water. Refreshing tropical fruit spritzers.

If you want, you can also add some pureed mango, but if you do, you'll want to cut the agave nectar in half.

Antares, I poured some more, so you can see the color with the yellow papaya--still pretty.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2012, 08:40:12 AM »
Damn, it's going to be 90+ today here, I could go for a couple of those, they look so thirst quenching.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)