love

Author Topic: Teach Me...  (Read 22518 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Teach Me...
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2014, 10:07:48 PM »
Or just watch lots of Malick. That's what I do.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2014, 01:08:02 AM »
If I drive without the radio on, I start talking to myself. After a few minutes I realise I'm doing it and it freaks me out. Genuine, jump scare, as in "jesus, where's that voice coming from". Especially when I'm chanting "get out of my way, get out of my way" in a scary 16th c. monk's voice.........just me though right?
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2014, 07:15:03 AM »
I talk to myself a lot and don't always notice, especially when I'm waking up. Also hum to myself a lot and don't realize it.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2014, 09:28:14 AM »
I talk to other drivers when they're annoying me, as if they'll listen and my children look at me like, "Seriously?"

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:36:39 PM by Sandy »

JakeIsntFake

• Nothing that a few mega-vitamins couldn't cure
    • 2015 Watchlist
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2014, 11:20:48 AM »
I don't talk to myself (or my mom next to me for that matter) when I drive, which would probably be better because I just completely zone out.
What a world
"The detail of the pattern is movement"
ICheckMovies
Top 40

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2014, 11:24:30 AM »
I talk to other drivers, when they're annoying me as if they'll listen and my children look at me like, "Seriously?"
Oh, I do that a ton, but I'm usually in the car alone. Sometimes I even mocking clap as if they can hear me. I'm a very judgmental driver.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2014, 12:33:41 PM »
 :D

I'd love to see that.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2014, 09:19:54 PM »
Carne Guisada

This is a dish that colonel_mexico recommended to me. I had never heard of it before, so asked how it was served and what toppings went with it. He said he liked it as a taco with a layer of Spanish rice, the meat mixture and spicy salsa. I made my pico de gallo, but added some jalapeno for a little kick. I'll get more adventurous as I go. :) His mom likes it with avocado and my kids like cheese, so I added those. I didn't have time to make Spanish rice, so will come back and make a variation on this recipe again some day.

I found the recipe on the Food Network site.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/carne-guisada-recipe0.html

It was from an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and is a recipe from Bob's Taco Station in Rosenberg Texas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg4vE3xUp5U

The recipe is adjusted down from the vast amounts they make at the restaurant and then I had to double it to feed my family. The things I would change are, I'd double the meat and not the vegetables and gravy. I ended up taking out the vegetables and meat from the gravy with a slotted spoon and will use the extra for a soup. The taste is great, but I did not put 2 oz. of cumin seeds in! I didn't even have that much on hand (I used a 1/2 oz), nor did I double the pepper. Anyway, it's hard to see the details, but this is what it looks like:

It was well received at the dinner table, so with a few adjustments, this will be used often. Thanks for the recommendation Col.!

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2014, 06:07:08 AM »
That looks good Sandy!

Oh, and isn't ironic that the video you linked to, has a superimposed statement stating that Guy Fieri is one of the worst cooks in America. For me, he's a talentless hack, who just eats his way across the country. He's been one of the reasons the Food Channel has been dying a slow death over the last couple of years.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2014, 10:46:39 AM »
Everyone's invited to Sandy's house for dinner!  Looks wonderful!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky