love

Poll

How do you want to pick the year for the second Retro Filmspots?

Poll for the years 1919-1976
Poll for the years 1977-1986
Poll for the years 1987-1996
Poll for the years 1997-2006
Random draw from 1919-1979
Random draw from 1980-2006
Random draw from select years nominated by voters

Author Topic: Retro Filmspots II: Year Selection  (Read 26578 times)

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
Re: Retro Filmspots II: Year Selection
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »
I would actually participate if it was '94, '95, or '99 (back when I saw about 100 new films a year).
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2012, 04:13:10 PM »
I would actually participate if it was '94, '95, or '99 (back when I saw about 100 new films a year).

Just curious... Would you rewatch some of the films you haven't seen since then (and watch some you've never seen at all)? Or is your interest more that you have a strong enough background in those years taht you could vote almost just from memory?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2012, 04:16:45 PM »
I will try to watch some new stuff no matter which year is picked...not sure how much I'll participate in the voting/caring about the results side of things.

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2012, 04:28:59 PM »

Just curious... Would you rewatch some of the films you haven't seen since then (and watch some you've never seen at all)? Or is your interest more that you have a strong enough background in those years taht you could vote almost just from memory?

pixote

The top 10 or 15 I have seen multiple times over the years (all of those years are pretty strong in my book), but I would absolutely like to rewatch some that I remember from the next tier, as well as some I may have missed that get mentioned by the FSs, especially for best performances and technical categories.
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2012, 04:30:45 PM »
1999:
1999's not looking quite as good as I expected it to look. It does contain the 90s US Bracket winner (Magnolia), which might be more of a curse than a blessing, plus two other films from our current Top 100 (Fight Club and The Matrix). There'd be almost of full slate of Animated Features for that race — Toy Story 2, The Iron Giant, South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut, and My Neighbors the Yamadas — most of which could very well factor in the Best Picture Race as well. Any and all love for The Green Mile, The Boondock Saints, and The Cider House Rules would make my head hurt, as would a rehashed discussion of the various merits of American Beauty, The Sixth Sense, and Dogma. Being John Malkovich could maybe factor into the Best Picture race as well, along with my own favorites, Ratcatcher and Three Kings. I guess the real appeal of this year, for me, is that most of these films are ones I wouldn't mind revisiting, and I'd certainly love to see others catch up with It All Starts Today (!!!), Postmen in the Mountains, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, The Wind Will Carry Us, Peppermint Candy, The Road Home, Not One Less, and Topsy-Turvy. Plus I owe a watch (or rewatch) to Rosetta, Beau Travail, After the Rain, and Seventeen Years. I'd hope that Russell Crowe would walk away with the Best Actor Filmspot for The Insider (another dark horse for Best Picture), though I could see the sentimental vote giving it to Richard Farnsworth for The Straight Story. All About My Mother might well walk away with Best Non-English Language Film (and, heck, Best Picture), but we'll see. Documentary will be a better race, perhaps, with My Voyage to Italy, One Day in September, My Best Fiend - Klaus Kinski, American Movie, Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr., Buena Vista Social Club, and On the Ropes all in contention. Some other films that might factor into the awards: Office Space, Boys Don't Cry, George Lucas in Love, Sleepy Hollow, The Hurricane, Election, Audition, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Go, Eyes Wide Shut, The Virgin Suicides, Sweet and Lowdown, Galaxy Quest, Arlington Road, Girl, Interrupted, The Limey, 6ixtynin9, and 10 Things I Hate About You.
Score: 7

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »
2000:
Yikes, I'm not that impressed to see that four of the five highest rated films for 2000 at IMDb are Memento, Gladiator, Snatch, and Amores Perros (Requiem for a Dream is the lone standout, ranked second), but how about this for a Best Non-English Language Film race (or even a Best Picture race): In the Mood for Love, Werckmeister Harmonies, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Yi Yi, and Eureka. And that top five doesn't even include Devils on the Doorstep, Battle Royale, J.S.A.: Joint Security Area, Nine Queens, In July, Divided We Fall, Il Mare, A Time for Drunken Horses, Songs from the Second Floor, Together, La commune (Paris, 1871), Platform, The Circle, and Blackboards. That's a pretty exciting list. And English language cinema has its moments, too: Almost Famous, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Traffic, Before Night Falls, Dancer in the Dark, You Can Count on Me, Billy Elliot, High Fidelity, Remember the Titans, Cast Away, American Psycho, George Washington, Wonder Boys, Best in Show, X-Men, Unbreakable, Thirteen Days, Erin Brockovich, Pitch Black, Meet the Parents, etc. Not a bad documentary race either: Sound and Fury, Into the Arms of Strangers, Dark Days, Paradise Lost 2: Revelations, and The Gleaners & I. And maybe something from Japan could keep either The Emperor's New Groove or Chicken Run from walking away with an undeserved Animated Feature Filmspot.
Score: 8

pixote

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »
2001: Another year with three films in our Top 100: Spirited Away, Amélie, and Mulholland Dr.. It also boasts the beginnings of the decades two big franchises — The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone — and a wide selection of films I've seen promoted on the forum on more than one occasion — Donnie Darko, Children Underground, Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India, Murder on a Sunday Morning, Monsters, Inc., Wit, Shrek, Winged Migration, Rivers and Tides: Andy Goldsworthy Working with Time, Millennium Actress, Black Hawk Down, The Others, Ocean's Eleven, Y Tu Mamá También, The Man Who Wasn't There, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, All About Lily Chou-Chou, Moulin Rouge!, The Royal Tenenbaums, Ghost World, Read My Lips, Manic, Lantana, The Son's Room, The Fast Runner (Atanarjuat), Frailty, The Believer, The Piano Teacher, Gosford Park, The Devil's Backbone, Waking Life, In the Bedroom, Monsoon Wedding, Metropolis, What Time Is It Over There?, L.I.E., A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Bully, and Ichi the Killer. I'd welcome the extra motivation to finally watch My Sassy Girl, Nowhere in Africa, Time Out, Things Behind the Sun, and Shaolin Soccer; as well as the chance to encourage other to watch Bungee Jumping of Their Own, The American Astronaut, and Startup.com; but I couldn't work up much enthusiasm to revisit the likes of A Beautiful Mind, Training Day, Dogtown and Z-Boys, K-PAX, Blow, I Am Sam, Iris, Thirteen Conversations About One Thing, or Brotherhood of the Wolf. I'm just kidding, of course. I've never seen I Am Sam.
Score: 5

pixote

george96

« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2012, 06:44:34 PM »
There are way too many options. I'm beginning to like the idea of random selection.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2012, 06:57:52 PM »
2002:
A year with some good films, for sure — I'm personally a fan of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Lilya 4-Ever, 25th Hour, Whale Rider, Devil's Playground, Sweet Sixteen, Punch-Drunk Love, L'Auberge Espagnole, Narc, and About a Boy — but I don't feel like there's that much here I'm all that keen to catch up with. Just scanning through the list, maybe just The Twilight Samurai, Hero, Oasis, Bus 174 (I've seen most of it but was sleepy), Mondays in the Sun, All or Nothing, The Son, 8 Women, Lilo & Stitch, and Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary — but even some of those are a stretch. And I'm not in all that big a rush to revisit most of these: Bowling for Columbine, Stevie, City of God, The Pianist, Infernal Affairs, Talk to Her, Catch Me If You Can, The Bourne Identity, The Magdalene Sisters, In America (not a fan), Adaptation (an exception), To Be and to Have, Road to Perdition, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Bloody Sunday, Spellbound, Minority Report, The Man Without a Past, The Weather Underground, The Trials of Henry Kissinger, 28 Days Later..., The Hours, Rabbit-Proof Fence, Far from Heaven, Gangs of New York (I assume it's still a mess), Dirty Pretty Things, Uzak, Broken Wings (ugh), Lost in La Mancha, Spider-Man, About Schmidt (ugh), Antwone Fisher (meh), Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Russian Ark, Chicago, Raising Victor Vargas, Better Luck Tomorrow, etc.
Score: 4

pixote

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2012, 07:54:51 PM »
There are way too many options. I'm beginning to like the idea of random selection.

love