love

Author Topic: Watching the Eclipse  (Read 10032 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Watching the Eclipse
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 10:36:50 AM »
Fun, like when somebody blows a kazoo in your ear and shouts "Happy New Year!"

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 10:56:21 AM »
*takes 1SO off New Year's Eve party invite list*

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 07:52:37 AM »
Eclipse Set #1: "Pearls of the Czech New Wave"
Film #2: A Report on the Party and Guests

http://nursingshorelines.com/2012/07/31/a-report-on-the-party-and-guests-jan-nemec-1966/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 01:25:26 PM »
I'm really glad this is your marathon and not my undertaking. These films are the type of cinema I can appreciate. I see what they're doing, but as far as enjoying them as films, I find them difficult to sit through. Part of it is being a stranger in a strange land. I'm lacking a proper history lesson on Czechoslovakia's social and political climate as well as the development of their film industry. So there are times when I'm not sure what Nemec is going for.

For example, towards the beginning we see the women down by a stream washing and changing into their formal ware. I could infer a sexual context into the scene, though these women are not being put on display. The men don't receive the same treatment in their prep. But the camera is often too close and the women clearly being shown more for their naturalism than for their beauty. So what is the point of the scene? I'm missing something, which is entirely my fault.

Luckily, Nemec is very brief. (The film is only 67 minutes). After 10 minutes he gets right to the point with a series of set-pieces demonstrating the dangers and ease of outright conformity. The satire reminded me of Buñuel, especially Simon of the Desert which is just as short and direct. It also made me think of Milos Forman's Czech satire The Fireman's Ball. I can't begin to explain the different approaches to satire but that commonality is what separates this film from outright Buñuel.

On it's most basic terms, the acting is very good with the two hosts of the party being downright mesmerizing. I loved everything about those two, including how they played off each other like a Southern plantation Big Daddy and his spoiled brat son. The design of the banquet, with rows of tables along a lake makes a great presentation as well.

I can see some people loving a film like this - I'll be shocked if MartinTeller gives this less than 85 - and I wouldn't call it a bad film. Just not my cup of tea. I'd like to thank tjwells for acting as a guide through these films and pushing me to watch them. Plus, doing it this way I don't have to give a Rating, which couldn't possibly reflect on both the quality of the film AND my reaction to watching it.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 02:27:08 PM »
Only seen Nemec's Diamonds in the Night, but it was pretty good. Looking forward to this one.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
I'm really glad this is your marathon and not my undertaking. These films are the type of cinema I can appreciate. I see what they're doing, but as far as enjoying them as films, I find them difficult to sit through. Part of it is being a stranger in a strange land. I'm lacking a proper history lesson on Czechoslovakia's social and political climate as well as the development of their film industry. So there are times when I'm not sure what Nemec is going for.

For example, towards the beginning we see the women down by a stream washing and changing into their formal ware. I could infer a sexual context into the scene, though these women are not being put on display. The men don't receive the same treatment in their prep. But the camera is often too close and the women clearly being shown more for their naturalism than for their beauty. So what is the point of the scene? I'm missing something, which is entirely my fault.

Luckily, Nemec is very brief. (The film is only 67 minutes). After 10 minutes he gets right to the point with a series of set-pieces demonstrating the dangers and ease of outright conformity. The satire reminded me of Buñuel, especially Simon of the Desert which is just as short and direct. It also made me think of Milos Forman's Czech satire The Fireman's Ball. I can't begin to explain the different approaches to satire but that commonality is what separates this film from outright Buñuel.

On it's most basic terms, the acting is very good with the two hosts of the party being downright mesmerizing. I loved everything about those two, including how they played off each other like a Southern plantation Big Daddy and his spoiled brat son. The design of the banquet, with rows of tables along a lake makes a great presentation as well.

I can see some people loving a film like this - I'll be shocked if MartinTeller gives this less than 85 - and I wouldn't call it a bad film. Just not my cup of tea. I'd like to thank tjwells for acting as a guide through these films and pushing me to watch them. Plus, doing it this way I don't have to give a Rating, which couldn't possibly reflect on both the quality of the film AND my reaction to watching it.

Did the one guy (the adopted son) seem familiar to you? I feel like I've seen him in something else before. And yes, he was absolutely fantastic.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »
It could be that you just saw him in Daisies, but he did look very familiar to me as well. He reminded me a lot of Bruno Kirby. Very animated. I could see him working as a great physical comedian. He's most prolific as a composer.

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 01:16:13 PM »
Eclipse Set #1: "Pearls of the Czech New Wave"
Film #4: The Return of the Prodigal Son

http://nursingshorelines.com/2012/08/10/the-return-of-the-prodigal-son-evald-schorm-1966/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »
Don't have anything to add. Like you, I was also surprised to see a film from this set that was a regular narrative, with a lot of attention paid to characters. Bergman is a good describer, so would Satyajit Ray. Really solid performances, especially Jan Kacer and the actress playing his wife. It's hard to play an emotion when there's a lack of reasoning to support that feeling, but his depression is touching, when to an outsider it could be seen as putting on an act.

This is the first film from the box set I can recommend to people other than Martin and worm, and yet I have to admit I keep thinking about A Report on the Party and Guests. That first party host, I can't shake him and his casual bully tactics.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:39:39 AM by 1SO »

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »
Don't have anything to add. Like you, I was also surprised to see a film from this set that was a regular narrative, with a lot of attention paid to characters. Bergman is a good describer, so would Satyajit Ray. Really solid performances, especially Jan Kacer and the actress playing his wife. It's hard to play an emotion when there's a lack of reasoning to support that feeling, but his depression is touching, when to an outsider it could be seen as putting on an act.

This is the first film from the box set I can recommend to people other than Martin and worm, and yet I have to admit I keep thinking about A Report on the Party and Guests. That first party host, I can't shake him and his casual bully tactics.

Interesting note; the woman who plays his wife is Jana Brejchova, the older sister of Hana Brejchova, the star of Forman's Loves of a Blonde.

love