Author Topic: Retro Filmspots: General Discussion  (Read 22574 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Retro Filmspots: General Discussion
« on: July 20, 2012, 12:18:05 PM »
An overdue thread.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Retro Filmspots: General Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »
Looking forward to catching up with some of the 1974 films. What is the timeline?

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 04:02:10 PM »
Hey look the comedian's a bear. No he's not he is wearing knickabockers.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 04:04:06 PM »
To those who are not inclined to participate, I hope you will consider at least jumping in after the nomination stage.  Maybe the "Discoveries" phase is a bit overwhelming, but by the time the nominees are in place, it should be a much smaller pool of films to contend with... and it should consist of some of the best the year has to offer. 

spoko

• Elite Member
  • Hero of the Great Taco Syndicate
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »
I'm looking at the whole year now, and getting pretty interested in several of the movies. If I don't have time to get to them all, though, I'm definitely hoping to do just that--hop in after the nominations.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 05:32:52 PM »
Looking forward to catching up with some of the 1974 films. What is the timeline?

Tentatively thinking something like mid-September for nominations and mid-October for final ballots.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Totoro

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 01:05:09 AM »
Could I get a message notification when ballots are due? Or will there be a thread made for the announcement? What date are you guys shooting for? I would hate to miss out. I have a full one that is, for the most part, done. I will probably be refraining from voting documentary though. I don't want to get into the habit of "watching a movie for the sake of watching a movie". I don't have the time nor the willpower.

I will probably be watching a few more in the coming weeks.

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 11:24:19 AM »
Tentatively thinking something like mid-September for nominations

How about Monday, 10/1? (It's almost mid-September, and I've been a little lax on my 1974 viewing schedule.)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 11:50:24 AM »
A little more time would be nice.  I still have about a dozen more from my original Discoveries wishlist I need to get to.  I must admit I'm not too enthused about any of them though.  Despite having a couple of great discoveries already (including the very unexpected Cocorico Monsieur Poulet, which sadly no one else has bothered to see) I kind of feel like I've already seen the best this year has to offer.  I wonder if others feel the same way.  It seems like participation is way way down compared to 1957.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 08:32:45 PM »
More time would be helpful and I'd love to see a much higher percentage on the discovery list. Should we dole some of the films out? I'm not quite sure what others are trying to get to, but I'll be looking for Where the Lilies Bloom, We All Loved Each Other So Much and Otpisani next week. I've got my second wind and because of it being Fall, have more time on my hands, :) so count me in.