Author Topic: Retro Filmspots: General Discussion  (Read 22592 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Retro Filmspots: General Discussion
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 11:50:50 PM »
We'll probably extend the nominations through mid-October, and plan for final ballots to be due in late November (right before the 2012 Filmspots take center stage).

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 09:32:19 AM »
Looking forward to catching up with some of the 1974 films. What is the timeline?

Tentatively thinking something like mid-September for nominations and mid-October for final ballots.

pixote

What are you thinking now? This board's been inactive for a couple of weeks.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 12:21:57 PM »
Ive been watching a lot of stuff...just not much of a writer. Ready to go anytime!

toro913

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 12:32:50 PM »
I'm same as Jared, must've seen at least 25 film for these Retro Filmspots.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 12:35:25 PM »
Ooh lists, lists! And a few highlights, always like to get that push to see something new.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 03:48:57 AM »
What are you thinking now? This board's been inactive for a couple of weeks.

Yeah, I've personally been distracted by the brackets and the ratings project. But now that those are running pretty smoothly, let's set some dates:

Nominations ballot due: Sunday, November 11
Final ballots due: Sunday, December 9

Hope that's more or less acceptable to everyone. Apologies for not being better organized this round.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 01:10:18 PM »
I think the FYC threads would be that much more awesome if we included images. This occurred to me when I was thinking about cinematography and art direction, but I think it would add some richness for all categories actually. Linking to YouTube clips for scene, score and performances would be good too.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 02:20:05 PM »
I think the FYC threads would be that much more awesome if we included images. This occurred to me when I was thinking about cinematography and art direction, but I think it would add some richness for all categories actually. Linking to YouTube clips for scene, score and performances would be good too.
YES!

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
I don't want to complicate things, but on my run last night, I started wondering if maybe we could/should use the Ratings Project to determine the Retro Filmspot nominees for Best Picture, Best Non-English Language Film, and Best Director Documentary. Any thoughts on that?

Even if we stick with traditional Filmspot voting, maybe I'll still poll all the FYC'd films from those categories in the Ratings Project to see what the nominees would have looked like, and then we can try to gauge for future Filmspots which method gets us the more 'better' set of nominees.

pixote
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:42:59 PM by pixote »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 12:02:55 PM »
I'm good with any system that doesn't end up with the abomination that was 1957's Best Picture results.

love