love

Author Topic: Retro Filmspots 1974: The Discovery Project  (Read 21944 times)

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
Re: Retro Filmspots 1974: The Discovery Project
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2012, 07:06:29 PM »
Not sure if anything is gained by watching them in such atrocious quality (only peeked into Celine and Julie, though). I realize this is a variation of "movies are meant to be seen in the cinema", but still...

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2012, 08:05:33 PM »
You tell me. Btw, I wasn't criticizing you for providing the links. I get falling back on YouTube if a film isn't available anywhere or for a quick impression whether it's worth the effort of tracking down a maybe costly DVD. But watching a film like Celine and Julie (or On the Silver Globe) in this form seems more than a bit strange to me.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2012, 08:12:25 PM »
I get that (and my other post I just did was not meant to be a smartass response to your concern.) I plug my computer into my TV and the quality is usually more than adequate. I remember have a problem with the subtitles on the version of Celine I watched (I think the 2nd one I posted). Part of the reason why I stopped watching. As for On the Silver Globe, I was just tooling around the net and saw it on youtube. Wanted to get a taste of it and the film just sucked me in. (Took me 2 nights to finish it because I wasn't expecting to get pulled in.)

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2012, 08:30:26 PM »
Not sure if anything is gained by watching them in such atrocious quality

I'll take what I can get.

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2012, 08:36:43 PM »
I guess I'm just old and set in my ways. I usually don't even bother with streaming services like Netflix. I remember for example watching a YouTube-like version of Jancso's Red Psalm years ago and not being too impressed with the film. Then I got the new UK DVD last year and it was an entirely different matter.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2012, 10:25:28 PM »
I really don't get watching feature length movies that are obviously easily pirated on youtube. Either get a damn torrent with subtitles that are actually synchronized and better picture quality, or get a copy of the DVD if one is available and you're opposed to piracy. Shorts are different because for some reason they're often not easily available elsewhere, and shorts are something one can watch on a whim. But it's very rare that a feature length film on youtube isn't available in better quality elsewhere and it's unlikely you're going to stumble on Celine and Julie and decide "I have to watch this right now."

Celine and Julie is not on DVD in the US (it is in the UK) but Enigma of Kasper Hauser is in this wonderful DVD collection.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2012, 09:56:58 AM »
Ha, I clicked on those links 1SO posted and didn't think the picture quality was that bad. Then again, it really wasn't that long ago that I graduated from ratty old VHS tapes to DVD.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

love