love

Author Topic: Retro Filmspots 1974: Personal Ballot  (Read 6681 times)

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
Re: Retro Filmspots 1974: Personal Ballot
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 04:19:14 PM »
Thanks go to Verite for giving me the final push for Edvard Munch (and Elektra, too).

Glad you watched them! 

At the very least, I understand that Edvard Munch's runtime of 174 minutes (or the longer version: 211 minutes) is going to scare a lot of people away.  But I still can't help being sad about the lack of interest and lack of mention of it in the discovery and review threads.

As for Electra, My Love, I think I made a fateful error by writing about the average shot length of the film (lol).  Should've focused more on what it was about (revolution, tyranny, communism, etc.) and contrasting Jancso's Electra to the ones in the Greek plays.  At the very least, mention of the abysmal DVD transfer was the biggest factor.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:29:14 PM by Verite »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »
Yeah, I was bummed out not to see a single review of Vincent, François, Paul and the Others, which I've championed for a while to no avail. I eventually rationalized it away on account of its availability. Couldn't do the same with Juggernaut, though, since it's been available to stream on Netflix this whole time. I feel like if I can't excite people to see a readily available film about a bomb plot ransom, maybe I should just give up, lol.

Then again, all my good intentions to discover a bunch of new films from 1974 pretty much went for naught, so I can't talk.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 05:00:14 PM »
Yeah, I was bummed out not to see a single review of Vincent, François, Paul and the Others, which I've championed for a while to no avail.

I really, really, really wanted to watch this.  I mean, Piccoli, Audran, Reggiani, and Montand...yes, please!  Just had no access to it.  Alas, I'm in a try-to-save-as-much-money-mode so my plans to buy the DVDs of Mouth Agape and VFPatO went in the trash.  The Un homme qui dort DVD is $52!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 05:28:53 PM by Verite »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »
Yeah, I was bummed out not to see a single review of Vincent, François, Paul and the Others, which I've championed for a while to no avail.

I did put out a call for suggestions, you didn't mention it. 

Granted, I didn't end up actually taking any of the suggestions I was given (although I did take some earlier ones, like Mouth Agape), but still, that would have been a good time to try to convince me.  If it makes you feel any better, hardly anyone listened to my suggestions either. 

I do wish I had gotten to Missiles of October.  I'll definitely try to see it if it gets nominated for anything, otherwise I'll check it out at some point down the road.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 05:12:12 PM by MartinTeller »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 11:30:51 PM »
Was ¡Keith! put in charge of announcing the Winners?

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 11:58:01 PM »
I don't think pixote has posted for a while now, I hope everything's okay

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 12:54:43 AM »
I think he's in for one of his periodic software upgrades.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

love