Author Topic: Metaphysical Marathon  (Read 1924 times)

malabarjettison

• http://www.orangejeep.org
Metaphysical Marathon
« on: December 01, 2006, 10:49:58 PM »
In my Metaphysical Marathon, I'd include Kieslowski's Tricolor trilogy; Wenders' Wings of Desire; Duvall's The Apostle; Axel's Babette's Feast; and Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev. Of course, there are about a million others that could qualify. The awards could be the "Sorens" (after Kirkegaard).

I have to fess up that the real reason I'm suggesting this is because I love Kieslowski's films so much.

DaveNJ

Metaphysical Marathon
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 12:17:54 PM »
Andre Rublev has a lot working for it, but I found the experience of watching it excruciating. It's incredibly long, but Tarkofsky's directon and cinematography in the film are masterful. I just never managed to connect with any of the characters, so it's more an outside look at a work of art for me, rather than a cinema experience.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Metaphysical Marathon
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 02:46:44 PM »
I felt that coldness about Solaris, I more admire it than like it.  But Andrei Rublev I connected with completely.

Can't have a metaphysical marathon without Robert Bresson and Carl Theodor Dreyer.  For Bresson: Au Hasard Balthazar is a good place to start, but Diary Of A Country Priest is more specifically metaphysical.  For Dreyer: The Passion of Joan Of Arc, of course, but Day Of Wrath and especially Ordet may be more metaphysical.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
Metaphysical Marathon
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 03:44:14 PM »
How about I [Heart] Huckabees. 'Nough of that old stuff.

love