Author Topic: Saftey Not Guaranteed  (Read 1118 times)

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
Saftey Not Guaranteed
« on: July 27, 2012, 10:44:22 PM »
This was on par to be one of the best films I had seen this year so far in the theater. But the ending was totally lost on me, I'm just more of a fan of open ended films. I loved the dynamic going on between the three reporter characters working in the story and how they mind it for comedy and I also loved the dynamic between what I would call the two main characters the "dick" and you know the other. They did a pretty good job of someone who was full of regret and the other who lived in the here and now.

Up until the last scene this film should have been called a glimpse inside the mind of a coast to coast am caller.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:47:21 PM by Alan Smithee »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Saftey Not Guaranteed
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 10:56:35 PM »
I liked the ending. I think it needs to show that he wasn't crazy in the easy ways. They really were out to get him and he really did know how to time travel. It's far more interesting not to be able to write him off as a standard order lunatic. Instead, you get an insight into a more standard-order character. Someone who talks the standard lost love tune but really the regret is not loss but shame at what he did in his youth.

Tenenbaums

• Ashvegas
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »
When I saw the time machine, the film lost its magic for me.  Everything up to that point (just about all of which I loved) suggested it was a film that wouldn't show it.

The ending is way too tidy for a film so loose and free up to that point.  I'm all for toying with expectations, but you almost need a predictable rom-com version of the script with far less skilled leads for this ending to line up.  That's how incongruous it felt to me in relation to the rest of the film.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 06:26:17 AM »
When I saw the time machine, the film lost its magic for me.  Everything up to that point (just about all of which I loved) suggested it was a film that wouldn't show it.

The ending is way too tidy for a film so loose and free up to that point.  I'm all for toying with expectations, but you almost need a predictable rom-com version of the script with far less skilled leads for this ending to line up.  That's how incongruous it felt to me in relation to the rest of the film.

I agree i was thinking "If they make this thing take off like the Delorean on water I'm going to be pissed they ruined a perfectly good movie".

It felt like everything leading up to that and the theme especially after we found out he had been lying was "make the most of the here and now and you can't change the past" and then we find out yeah you can because im on a boat MF im on a boat.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 03:25:39 PM by Alan Smithee »