Author Topic: August 2012 MDC: 1974 Retrospots  (Read 13909 times)

worm@work

• Godfather
Re: August 2012 MDC: 1974 Retrospots
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 12:35:26 PM »
I am also happy to bow out if Sandy and Totoro just wanna pair up (that is if that's easier etc.). Good with anything, really :).

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 12:48:26 PM »
I was just clarifying, it all seems good to me.  I've updated the first page.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 01:13:53 PM »
I was just clarifying, it all seems good to me.  I've updated the first page.

Thanks, ses!

That sounds like a great set up. W@W I'll have something for you in the morning. Does that sound good?

No rush at all. Looking f/w to it :).

tjwells

• Elite Member
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 02:39:10 PM »
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry
* 1/2

I'm now even more confident in my praise of Gone in 60 Seconds. Here's a film with a "screenwriter" and "professional" actors who do a much worse job than H.B. Halicki and his gang of amateurs. Peter Fonda seems disconnected most of the time, with bouts of bravado that slide back into an attitude of "Hey man, it's all in good fun" grooviness. (Even Owen Wilson has never appeared this lazy on screen.) If I hadn't seen Susan George in Straw Dogs I'd have thought the filmmakers won her in a beauty contest. The performance made me long for someone with the talent of Denise Richards.

They're not helped in any way by the dialogue which includes such cringers as "If you try another stunt like that again, I'm gonna braid your tits." and "Every bone in her crotch. That's what I'm going to break." How about this fight between Larry and Mary...

Mary: You don't know how to say hello, and you don't know how to say goodbye.
Larry: All right, I didn't say goodbye. I had a robbery to pull this morning, woman!
Mary: Well, all right. It's not actually the goodbyes. What pisses me is you didn't even leave me a clean towel!
Larry: Oh, God, if it hadn't been the goodbyes, if it hadn't been the towels, it would've been something else. You know why? Because that's the kind of person you are. You know that? You're the kind that's never satisfied. You'd eat the last cookie in the jar!
Mary: And I'm telling you something - there's no more cookies in the jar, and there aren't.
Larry: But even if there was, you'd eat it! And you'd go looking in my fridge for my pie stash!

Everybody signed off on this. They were happy with it. Thought it was a good day's work.

The car chase finale is very by-the-numbers, except for some nifty moments involving a helicopter trying to stop Crazy Larry. Again, it made me appreciate the DIY approach used in Gone in 60 Seconds. That film had an honesty about it. This was like Hollywood trying to make a cheap movie and tap into the youth market, but none of it felt genuine.

I feel bad because this was obviously dictated to me with good intentions. Even if tjwells isn't a big supporter of the film, it was at least under the belief that I would get some thrills out of it. Maybe it was a good film to watch growing up. I enjoy Smokey and the Bandit on those terms, and this made me wish that film was a 1974 release.

One of my favorite movies, I actually own it on DVD and VHS. But to each their own.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »
for Totoro:

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 03:22:25 PM »
I thought Dirty Mary Crazy Larry was quite a bit of fun (havent seen it for 3 or 4 years though). Doubt Ill nominate it for anything but it is a good watch in my opinion.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2012, 04:20:21 PM »
worm@work will be watching How to Drown Dr. Mracek, the Lawyer. :)

Totoro

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2012, 11:46:19 PM »
Sandy (and her kids?) will be watching

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2012, 12:14:54 AM »
Great! We'll make a party of it!

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »
The last two posts would be so much more amazing if this dictation in question was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

love