love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226418 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #1950 on: March 22, 2018, 06:12:11 PM »
The Push on Netflix - interesting social experiment. You can draw your own conclusions about what it says. I couldn't believe 3 of the 4 people actually did it in the end! I wasn't especially surprised by any of it up to that point, but the ending was shocking.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1951 on: March 22, 2018, 06:22:56 PM »
The Push on Netflix - interesting social experiment. You can draw your own conclusions about what it says. I couldn't believe 3 of the 4 people actually did it in the end! I wasn't especially surprised by any of it up to that point, but the ending was shocking.

I heard about it at /film podcast, they outright spoiled and and begged people not to watch it. It actually made me more curious but I am so far behind on so many things, I am not sure if I will get to it
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1952 on: March 22, 2018, 06:40:45 PM »

I heard about it at /film podcast, they outright spoiled and and begged people not to watch it. It actually made me more curious but I am so far behind on so many things, I am not sure if I will get to it

I imagine they're afraid people will take away the wrong message from it, and so they probably went on at length about all the reasons the entire experiment is not scientific and can be discredited etc. I think it's an interesting show and interesting result in spite of all that. Yes you have to take it all with a grain of salt, but it asks some interesting questions and leaves you with more. Just don't try to apply what you see beyond what's reasonable.

What surprised me was that the people who DID it weren't more traumatized. Very quickly after it happens the host and cameras come out and reveal the prank, and what's surprising is how quickly the people were able to laugh about it as if it were just another candid camera awkward moment, with the initial shock and then smiles and relief and embarrassment. If I take the show at face value and assume none of the marks were themselves actors, and that their reactions were genuine... well then those reactions are very interesting. And I'd love to see a follow up with them. I feel like you can't possible shake it off that quickly, and that there may be real psycological damage done.

I don't know if there were waivers or how that works with a show like this, but it seems realistic that down the road someone might turn around and sue over this.

This sort of thing isn't typically my favourite, because it so often seems overly cruel, especially to innocent bystanders (but in this case there weren't any). Heck, I can't even watch The Amazing Race because all I see is annoying tourists running around and leaving behind a wake of insulted locals. But when it's a self contained thing like Jackass, where they're usually only hurting themselves, it's fine. The Push was bearable that way at least.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:46:10 PM by smirnoff »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1953 on: March 23, 2018, 01:03:01 AM »
I won't respond since it probably is difficult to discuss without spoilers but will try to watch it this weekend. Then maybe can put together a spoiler thread. Good or bad, it has a lot that I think can be talked about
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1954 on: March 25, 2018, 01:37:29 AM »

I imagine they're afraid people will take away the wrong message from it, and so they probably went on at length about all the reasons the entire experiment is not scientific and can be discredited etc. I think it's an interesting show and interesting result in spite of all that. Yes you have to take it all with a grain of salt, but it asks some interesting questions and leaves you with more. Just don't try to apply what you see beyond what's reasonable.

What surprised me was that the people who DID it weren't more traumatized. Very quickly after it happens the host and cameras come out and reveal the prank, and what's surprising is how quickly the people were able to laugh about it as if it were just another candid camera awkward moment, with the initial shock and then smiles and relief and embarrassment. If I take the show at face value and assume none of the marks were themselves actors, and that their reactions were genuine... well then those reactions are very interesting. And I'd love to see a follow up with them. I feel like you can't possible shake it off that quickly, and that there may be real psycological damage done.

I don't know if there were waivers or how that works with a show like this, but it seems realistic that down the road someone might turn around and sue over this.

This sort of thing isn't typically my favourite, because it so often seems overly cruel, especially to innocent bystanders (but in this case there weren't any). Heck, I can't even watch The Amazing Race because all I see is annoying tourists running around and leaving behind a wake of insulted locals. But when it's a self contained thing like Jackass, where they're usually only hurting themselves, it's fine. The Push was bearable that way at least.

Just watched it this morning. Assuming that the joke is not on us and that what happened to those that were being led to believe they just pushed a man from a ledge, I can't believe they are not now suffering some kind of real trama. At the point where the reveal happened, they may have seemed to have laughed it off. I don't know what else you would do, either laugh and feel relief or punch and try to through the host off the building would seem to be both normal reactions.

I am going to say it wasn't BS for now, after all, Compliance also looks like it should be complete BS when you watch it but it is amazingly accurate to the actual footage that was filmed at the time.

Maybe this warrants a thread to allow spoilers if others watch it, but I will leave it here for now.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1955 on: March 25, 2018, 02:57:59 AM »
That's a good point.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1956 on: March 25, 2018, 12:27:53 PM »
I watched half of episode 2.1 of Jessica Jones. And I’m done.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1957 on: March 25, 2018, 01:57:38 PM »
After months of bullying and badgering I have succumbed to pixote's assaults and finally resolved to try The Good Wife. The writing's good and the stories are clever, even though the whole family/husband thing is a tad too touchy feelly for me. The real highlights of the show though are the judges. Boy, they are some doozies. I also like that the show seems to be going towards a multi-episode class action that's only hinted at in the beginning. Good stuff.

I hate the title however. Terrible.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1958 on: March 29, 2018, 07:01:26 PM »
Fargo: S3

Just finished this. Best season of Twin Peaks since the original. However, worst season of Fargo.

It has a significant gender disparity. The male actors, normally pretty reliable sorts (Ewan McGregor, David Thewlis, Michael Stuhlbarg) are doing overly affected, terrible performances, but are bailed out by the terrific, honest work of the likes of Carrie Coon, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Olivia Sandoval. All seasons of Fargo have featured good female performances, but this is the only one where the men completely drop the ball.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #1959 on: March 30, 2018, 09:53:27 AM »
I thought all 3 of those actors knocked it out of the park. It was a slow season but in the end i found it to be the best season so far.