love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226539 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #2070 on: January 13, 2019, 10:13:40 PM »
Found it... my season 1 comments start here.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2071 on: January 13, 2019, 11:04:07 PM »
Found it... my season 1 comments start here.

Ah thanks, those were fun to read again. :)

S1E05 "Where No One Has Gone Before" - Uh oh, I spoke too soon!  The Traveler!  And Stanley Kamel's gloriously slimy turn as Kosinski.  Great ep.  8/10

One of the better eps for sure. I loved that it took them so far away.

And this one:

S1E20 "The Arsenal of Freedom" - I don't know why I like this one so much, maybe it's Vincent Schiavelli or maybe it's seeing Geordi struggle with command or maybe it's just the idea of an automated weapons system that learns from its enemies.  8/10

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2072 on: January 14, 2019, 11:03:13 AM »
My wife was out of town the past three days, which I thought would be the perfect opportunity to make more progress with the Bergman box (in the moments when the baby was sleeping, anyway). And yet, when the time came, I just didn't feel like it. I was going to force myself to watch movies, but ultimately decided the heart wants what it wants so I just went with the flow and didn't question it.

Big Mouth season 2 - I don't love this show, but I love the people involved. I think I could love it, if it was more grounded and lost some of the more out-there stuff like the Hormone Monsters and Coach Steve. Heck, maybe even just Coach Steve. That character bugs the shit out of me.

Adam Ruins Everything - I binged a bunch of these. Some interesting things to be learned but Adam's deliberately annoying persona is too genuinely annoying. Also, don't promise me "Adam Ruins Sex" and then just talk about circumcision, herpes and hymens.

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling - I loved Shandling's first HBO show ("It's Garry Shandling's Show") but curiously only ever watched a handful of episodes of "Larry Sanders". The whole series is only $16 on Amazon right now, I might just take the plunge (sadly, the "IGSS" complete series appears to be out of print and going for insane prices). Anyway, this was a really compelling doc, if perhaps a tad overlong, that dives deep into Shandling's psychology.

Bojack Horseman - Finally getting into this. As a huge Paul F. Tompkins fan, I delight in the character of Mr. Peanutbutter (the greatest name!) and the rest of the show is pretty good too. I'm 8 episodes in and not completely in love with it yet but definitely want to keep watching.

that new Brian Regan show on Netflix - I love Regan's comedy but this format does not work for me at all. The fake banter with the producer and the sketches just disrupt the flow of the stand-up (some of which is recycled anyway). I bailed before finishing the first episode.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #2073 on: January 14, 2019, 11:21:40 AM »
Renewed my HBO Now subscription, had to revise the list:

Top 20 Best Shows of 2018:

1. Homecoming (Amazon Prime)
2. High Maintenance (HBO)
3. Maniac (Netflix)
4. Atlanta (FX)
5. American Vandal (Netflix)
6. Barry (HBO)
7. The Good Place (NBC)
8. Forever (Amazon Prime)
9. Bodyguard (BBC)
10. Better Call Saul (AMC)
11. Ray Donovan (Showtime)
12. Who Is America? (Showtime)
13. Ozark (Netflix)
14. Billions (Showtime)
15. Goliath (Amazon Prime)
16. Daredevil (Netflix)
17. Silicon Valley (HBO)
18. Narcos: Mexico (Netflix)
19. Crashing (HBO)
20. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (Netflix)

Bottom 5 Disappointing Shows of 2018:

1. Legion (FX)
2. House of Cards (Netflix)
3. The Walking Dead (AMC)
4. Altered Carbon (Netflix)
5. Westworld (HBO)

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2074 on: January 21, 2019, 12:21:22 PM »
Flowers

I found this show surprisingly affecting and even a tearjerker in later episodes. It stars Olivia Colman and Julian Barratt, who is a particular favorite of mine after his work in The Mighty Boosh. The series is sort of a gloomy take on The Royal Tenenbaums. It features a family of eccentrics dealing with their depressed father, who is the author of modestly successful Edward Gorey-esque children's books. The filmmaking is remarkably good. It's packed with beautiful shots, clever compositions and visual treatments, and great editing.

There's a Japanese character named Shun, who is the illustrator of the children's books and lives on the family's property. It's quite an over-the-top performance and I even looked up the actor to see if he did have Japanese heritage. Turns out he does and is the creator of the show, Will Sharpe. Shun is also the source of one of the show's most poignant scenes later on.

And most importantly, it's very funny. Everything really worked for me and we're already half way through the second season.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #2075 on: January 23, 2019, 11:17:23 PM »
Is anyone keeping up with Better Call Saul? I just caught up on season 4. It’s still a great show and it’s a very easy watch, especially compared with Breaking Bad, but it’s starting to feel empty for me. It feels like almost nothing happened in season 4.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2076 on: January 25, 2019, 04:17:01 AM »
Is anyone keeping up with Better Call Saul? I just caught up on season 4. It’s still a great show and it’s a very easy watch, especially compared with Breaking Bad, but it’s starting to feel empty for me. It feels like almost nothing happened in season 4.

Yeap
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #2077 on: January 26, 2019, 03:00:47 AM »

Yeap

Kills me to agree, but yep.
Texan Down Under

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #2078 on: January 26, 2019, 03:23:28 PM »
The Magicians

Just finished season one and started season two and have been enjoying it quite a bit. Nothing groundbreaking, but a great cast and a fun (but very dark) take on a magical world. It definitely starts with a bit too much of - it's Harry Potter but in college and people swear and have sex - but it does the character work necessary to make the story compelling in its own right.

Had to go back a ways to find any mention of this show, which seems like a hidden gem, despite its presence on Netflix. A full third of the people I mention it to ask, "The Noah Wyle one?" (No, that's The Librarians. And the Eric McCormack one is Travelers.) As philip918 said, the first half of season one is definitely to indebted to a grad school take on Harry Potter (and Narnia), but the show really grows into its own, becoming more of a Buffy, the Vampire Slayer for this generation (knowingly so). Anyway, season four just started on SyFy, and I'm nervous about the current storyline, but I now trust the writers to make it a fun ride, no matter where it goes. Hale Appleman is especially great to watch, and Summer Bishil is right up there, too.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2079 on: January 27, 2019, 09:21:19 PM »
that new Brian Regan show on Netflix - I love Regan's comedy but this format does not work for me at all. The fake banter with the producer and the sketches just disrupt the flow of the stand-up (some of which is recycled anyway). I bailed before finishing the first episode.

I gave it a couple episodes and bailed too. He's one of my fav's for his stand up specials. I enjoyed his latest one quite a lot. Too bad.

love