Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 77668 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #2200 on: July 29, 2019, 07:24:58 AM »
Watched season 4 of Veronica Mars. Only 8 episodes for this season and they have dropped the case of the week within an overarching mystery of the first 3 seasons. Now it is just a single mystery over the whole season. This has been one of my favourite TV shows since I first started watching it and this season does not change that view. Some of the edge has been sanded off, but the character is older and wiser so it is understandable. Hopefully they can come up with a good mystery to make a season 5.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2201 on: July 29, 2019, 09:20:32 AM »
We haven't watched yet, but I'm a little bummed to hear there's no case of the week. I always preferred those to the season-long arc. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to it.
Switchboard
Watched 2019

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Poor  |  Crap

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #2202 on: July 29, 2019, 01:33:13 PM »
LUIS MIGUEL, LA SERIE (2018) - Diego Boneto stars as the Latino singing legend Luis Miguel.  I am only vaguely familiar with Mickey's music (he even dated Mariah Carey for a time), but the more I delved into the show I have found myself listening to more of his Bolero-style albums and Romance songs.  The story itself is excellent and plays out like a telenova, unfortunately the quality comes off the same as a telenova.  There are some super-cheesy moments that ruin the really great mystery of Mickey and his long-lost mother.  Being a child prodigy and the complicated lifestyle of being famous your entire life are highlighted throughout.  I have a semi-famous friend who is a lot like Mickey going from reckless, irresponsible playboy vacillating back to kind, respectful guy who always ends up doing the right thing.  The abuse of the father resonates throughout with strong themes of pushing a child to greatness, but at the expense of the family.  Camila Sodi as the love interest shines and I look forward to her starring in bigger, more nuanced roles.  The production is weak, but there is such a great story with incredible music, worth a watch.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
« Reply #2203 on: July 29, 2019, 04:42:24 PM »
We haven't watched yet, but I'm a little bummed to hear there's no case of the week. I always preferred those to the season-long arc. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to it.

I went and looked up information about season 5 and found a big spoiler for the season 4, so I would recommend you avoid doing so.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2204 on: July 29, 2019, 08:27:30 PM »
Me: I guess Ill check out The Boys.
*show immediately and randomly kills an innocent woman, probably to drive a mans plot*
Me: Well, I guess I can skip this show.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2205 on: July 29, 2019, 09:07:26 PM »
That's not the only time it happens, either. I still think it's pretty good, but it's not great at reading the room in this regard.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #2206 on: July 30, 2019, 01:57:09 AM »
I think it's worth keeping in mind that the show is very much aware of comic book tropes and presents some of them to be twisted.

Especially as the season goes on, the dead girlfriend is used as a manipulation tool to keep Hughie in long enough to the point of no return, which you could argue is a self aware acknowledgment of how superhero books often misuse female characters to give male leads flimsy motivations.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2207 on: July 31, 2019, 08:24:51 PM »
My basic thought about The Boys at the conclusion is the same as at the beginning:  like Watchmen, but less subtle.  Still, its a fun ride.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2208 on: August 02, 2019, 07:45:44 PM »
It's strange to me how the main guy kind of looks like Bill Hader.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2209 on: August 02, 2019, 08:31:38 PM »
I was thinking a less intense Michael Shannon personally.