love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226443 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #2380 on: June 10, 2020, 07:21:15 AM »
Finished up S1 of The Wire, and started Ep 1 of S2, so it's now officially as far as I've made it in to the series. I'll likely continue to go, but I'm still finding the things I enjoyed the first few tries (the balance of thematic convos masked as regular interactions, the goings on in the inner city) to be very much the things I'm enjoying now, while the aspects I didn't like (pretty much the majority of the cop shit, the actual overall case/operation plot) to be mostly dull. Maybe Amy Ryan changes that in S2, but we'll see. Still waiting for it to 'really jump off' but maybe it's just not that kind of show. Which is fine, the plot was rarely 'the thing' in Sopranos either, though the core cast seemed fleshed out in a much more compelling way. Again, the more time we spend away from the cops, the better The Wire seems to be, and between Omar, Stringer, and that surprising appearance by Michael B. Jordan (who you can tell is young and still developing as an actor because he doesn't incorporate "bruh" after every couple of lines), it's not surprising why. Also plays worse for the cops in the current world, but I'm not sure they'd ever be the strength of the series. Could be wrong, perhaps, as I was about Christopher's role in Sopranos; however, looking back to how uncompelling the central plot was in S1 it's hard to imagine that'll be the case, even if it's easy to make them a little more sympathetic by having obviously corrupt politicians shut them down. These systems are a racket, I get that for sure.

For some reason I thought this was like True Detective, in the sense that the cast would change each season. Not sure why I thought that, but either way I was surprised to see Stringer Bell and pretty much all the cops from S1 show back up in the first episode.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 07:26:22 AM by FLYmeatwad »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2381 on: June 26, 2020, 07:23:49 AM »
Always nice to see a FLYiendly face! How's The Wire going, big dog? Shiiiiiiieeeet, I'm getting through it. Which is probs an applicable term for the most part, as my feelings on S1 have carried through S2 and S3 for the most part, and do wish we'd get away from these CINECAST!ing cops. Think I just don't like Jimmy that much. Maybe punch up a few thoughts more at length later? You know you've probs got a lot of typing ahead of you this weekend though, just keep that in mind.

That said, I'm on S4E6 rn before work starts, and S4 as a whole has been on a completely different level, pretty much everything about it is fantastic. Where has this show been? And is it a coincidence that, at least thus far, Jimmy has been an afterthought? Who can say.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2382 on: June 26, 2020, 07:48:01 AM »
Keep on keeping on FLY.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2383 on: June 26, 2020, 08:03:40 AM »
This one is wrapping up now and this might be the best episode so far. I realize that this season, in a way, works because of the three previous ones, but as I contextualize it as a whole it's still a 'big ask' when looking at its place among the best of the best. But can't really speak to that until it's done. Been reading along after the seasons with your write ups, but haven't posted to preserve the threads and to avoid much about later seasons I haven't seen yet, but glad to have it to go to when I've finished with them, real strong stuff.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2384 on: June 28, 2020, 09:01:04 AM »
Finally finished Homeland.
It was what series finale should be with Carrie coming full circle back to Brodie and how he served his country.
Carrie Mathison is one of the most layered, complex, vulnerable characters on TV - she delighted me, frustrated me and moved me.
The partnership that developed between Patinkin and Danes, as actors was a thing to watch over the years and I found this series to be underrated in its later seasons. It’s moral ambiguity presented in the pursuit of loftier goals made it a challenge to watch at times but I enjoy being confronted like that.
Highly recommended.
Hey, nice marmot!

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #2385 on: June 28, 2020, 10:03:45 AM »
I got sidetracked halfway through the season after the one with Miranda Otto in it. Sounds like i should go back and finish it.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2386 on: June 28, 2020, 08:06:29 PM »
I am so very upset.  I watched all the first season of Watchmen on Hulu this week, but the last two episodes.  Now it's gone.  I knew that this was what was going to force me to get HBO Max.  They planned this.  Grrr.

The Good Doctor
By David Shore, the creator of House, this is a more optimistic form of House.  A strongly autistic surgeon begins working in the hospital, and he is both brilliant and just doesn't fit.  But instead of just being a jerk (sometimes he is), usually he is pleasant, just not neurotypical. It doesn't have the highs and lows of House and so it is less of a series.  But my family is made up of mostly people on the autistic spectrum (Mrs. Oldkid is the exception), and so we all love watching it from that perspective.  There are other characters we enjoy, but the show mostly focuses on the autistic doctor's interactions with other people.  Not for everyone, but we like it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2387 on: June 28, 2020, 08:30:49 PM »
They only had Watchmen up during the week of/following Juneteenth in an effort to broaden its audience during that time. Those last two episodes are amazing too. Can you just do a trial to finish up? I don't think they're going to make a second season.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2388 on: July 01, 2020, 07:21:03 AM »
Finished The Wire last night. Might write up some extended thoughts later, but I would say that I'd rank things as: 4 > 2 > 5 > 3 > 1. As a whole, I think it comes together nicely in the back half (though the first half of S5 is rough in a way that makes it feel like the earlier seasons, which are all flawed to different extents), and contextualizing it as a whole the show is more than the sum of its parts, as it were, with the way the system is fundamentally broken being (not really a revelatory) a fully fleshed insight that benefits from seeing things from both sides, even if the cops are still the worst part of the show a lot of the time.

Also taking suggestions on one or two quick, lighter series to bang out before presumably starting Twin Peaks.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2389 on: July 01, 2020, 07:39:20 AM »
For a quick fun (and very positive way of solving problems) I would suggest Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts. Only 2 seasons and they are not long (I think there is only 20 episodes of about 22 minutes each)

love