Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226488 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #2430 on: September 16, 2020, 12:37:28 PM »
American Horror Story - Season 3: Coven
★ ★ ★ - Good

I'm amazed by how unrestrained this series is. The amount of violence, sex and overall transgressive material - this season has a lot of uncensored racism and incest - isn't seen in mainstream Hollywood entertainment, with big stars and high production value. It's something an indie horror would do to help get its name out there, and here it's overwhelming enough to keep away moral watchdogs who would condemn it on every level. So, for a fan of Horror like me, this is like inheriting an ice cream shop, and I am enjoying all the flavors.

The cast is outstanding, but special mention must go to Jessica Lange for making this her Baby Jane. It helps that she most of the best scenes and delicious lines, but Lange just dives head first into the diva insanity. It's not even the best performance of the series - Sarah Paulson anchors this ensemble solid - but she's reason enough to binge.

My favorite touch this season, and evidence that the writers leave no stone unturned, is the swamp witch (Lily Rabe) whose craft descends from the gypsy style of Stevie Nicks. I didn't expect Nicks to turn up in the Season, but I totally should have expected it with all the mentions and the songs. It doesn't even feel like a guest star forced into the Season, but more like this story would've been incomplete without her participation.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2431 on: September 16, 2020, 12:58:17 PM »
Yeah, that's a fun one. I really liked season 6(?): Roanoke, too, for its fun formal play. Not quite as cohesive as this season nor as well-stocked cast-wise, but fun nonetheless.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2432 on: September 16, 2020, 07:48:43 PM »
I jumped off when #TeamEmma died. Though I heard she eventually came back.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2433 on: September 16, 2020, 08:07:44 PM »
She died and came back multiple times in Season 3.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2434 on: September 16, 2020, 09:02:46 PM »
Perhaps I'll dive back in, I left after the first time.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2435 on: September 17, 2020, 07:07:49 PM »

Bless the BBC for keeping alive two of my favorite things, a solid murder-mystery and worthy parts for talented actors. Paddy Considine plays the detective in this 4-film series that ran from 2011 to 2014. (I guarantee I'll be watching the other three.) I skipped to Episode 2 because I heard it's a big improvement over the fact-based first episode, and I thought not knowing all the backstory gave Considine's former detective a lot of intrigue. I also started here because of Olivia Colman, who is her usual wonderful self. Production values are as good as they need to be. More importantly, the mystery is  extremely well-plotted. Not overly clever, but that's where the great acting comes in.   
★ ★ ★ - Good

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2436 on: September 17, 2020, 08:05:26 PM »
I highly recommend the book

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2437 on: September 17, 2020, 10:27:37 PM »
Added Des as well.... 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2438 on: September 18, 2020, 05:29:11 AM »
American Horror Story - Season 3: Coven
★ ★ ★ - Good

Is there an reason you have to watch the season’s in order?  I saw the first season many many years ago but didn’t watch the second but you have me interested to watch the 3rd, can I just skip to that?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2439 on: September 18, 2020, 07:43:36 AM »
You can. I hear the seasons connect later on, but right now there are just a couple of Easter egg connections.