love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226283 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #2550 on: April 11, 2021, 07:57:54 PM »
The latter. It was the first one on imdb TV.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2551 on: April 11, 2021, 08:23:29 PM »
I binged Columbo about 10 years ago. Good times.

Veep is outstanding too.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2552 on: April 12, 2021, 05:45:02 AM »
What makes the show, the Mystery or the character of Columbo?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2553 on: May 13, 2021, 03:31:49 PM »
Watched about the first six episodes of Columbo now. I'll have to keep watching more but I think the character is definitely what makes the show so far. You know the murderer at the beginning of every episode so it's more watching Columbo's process and how he gets these people into either giving themselves up or making a dumb mistake.

I watched part of the Battlestar Galactica miniseries for the first time and over a decade and as much as I love elements of it some of this is not aged well. Basically all the stuff with Baltar and Number Six is just cringe-inducingly bad nerd psychosexual b******* added with just creepiness for the sake of creepiness. Debating if I want to keep watching or just try out something new. I enjoyed the series a lot at the time but it definitely petered off the last couple of seasons.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2554 on: May 14, 2021, 07:15:43 PM »
The Show about the Show

Heard this recommended on the /Filmcast podcast, just because it sounds like the most meta thing ever.  The first show is about the director/showrunner pitching the show.  The show we are watching.  The second show is about the making of the first show.  The third episode is about the making of the second episode and the drama around that.  Eventually, the drama takes over.

This is the most compelling, fascinating documentary series I have ever seen.  Each episode is less than 15 minutes, so they go fast, but you feel that you've been through a lifetime by the time it is over.  The total is only 12 episodes (I've seen 10 of these), but the drama feels much more.  Plus, we get a full discourse on the director's philosophy of radical honesty and we get to see that philosophy lived out in the course of the show.  Well done, but you end up feeling bad for anyone who touched this show.

If you want to see it, each episode is streaming on YouTube.

Party Down
This is a comedy by the team that made Community and Parks and Rec.  Or is it a comedy?  These folks are so sad that it is often difficult to laugh at them or their antics.  The show is really more like The Office (US), but without the adorableness or consistent humor that made The Office charming.  Don't get me wrong, I like this (I'm almost done with season 2), but it makes me more uncomfortable than anything else.  I hope things work out for the crew.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 10:30:35 AM by oldkid »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2555 on: May 14, 2021, 07:27:22 PM »
Do you mean Party Down?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2556 on: May 14, 2021, 08:04:06 PM »
The Show about the Show

I heard the same discussion on /Film and plan to watch it this weekend.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2557 on: May 15, 2021, 06:54:27 PM »
The Show about the Show

Heard this recommended on the /Filmcast podcast, just because it sounds like the most meta thing ever.  The first show is about the director/showrunner pitching the show.  The show we are watching.  The second show is about the making of the first show.  The third episode is about the making of the second episode and the drama around that.  Eventually, the drama takes over.

This is the most compelling, fascinating documentary series I have ever seen.  Each episode is less than 15 minutes, so they go fast, but you feel that you've been through a lifetime by the time it is over.  The total is only 12 episodes (I've seen 10 of these), but the drama feels much more.  Plus, we get a full discourse on the director's philosophy of radical honesty and we get to see that philosophy lived out in the course of the show.  Well done, but you end up feeling bad for anyone who touched this show.

If you want to see it, each episode is streaming on YouTube.

Finished it last night and pretty much think this guy is insane. It’s as if we were watching Larry David in Synecdoche, New York for real.  His determination to keep to the show above all else must drive everyone around him nuts.  Season 1 is really episodes 1-6 and season 2 is 7-12, in which case there is a bit of a shift, it is more a linear story then a show about the making of the previous episode. Apparently there is a season 3 in the works that is about the making of season 2. It is a train wreck that is hard to not watch

I looked up his other work, I actually saw his first movie when it first came out, A Little Stiff but only have vague memory of it.  But it looked arty and depressing so rented the video tape. 

Tripping with Caveh can be find here where he does mushrooms with Will Oldham (Bonnie "Prince" Billy) is here:

https://youtu.be/7dF-TLYaYmY

In the Bathtub of the World: https://youtu.be/2PlpN_5GKTI

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2558 on: May 16, 2021, 10:30:47 AM »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2559 on: May 16, 2021, 10:39:21 AM »
His determination to keep to the show above all else must drive everyone around him nuts....It is a train wreck that is hard to not watch

Exactly this.

He talks about “radical honesty”, but he is demanding radical public exposure.  That’s not the same thing.  I wish someone would sit down and calmly explain to him how the show is ruining his life and not that everyone around him is acting crazy.  Are they?  Yes, but only because his “moral” demands are outlandish.  I wonder, if by watching this show, I am enabling his addiction.   Still, hard not to watch.

love