Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226372 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #2860 on: November 17, 2022, 08:21:55 PM »
Is 1SO enjoying The Mysterious Benedict Society Season 2? I have seen all but the most recent.

Andor has me anxiously waiting to see where all this goes.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2861 on: November 17, 2022, 08:49:43 PM »
YES! We feel like we're the only ones watching, but everything is clicking this season. Having that and Andor to watch on the same day has made Wednesdays a day to look forward to.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #2862 on: November 18, 2022, 04:56:49 PM »
YES! We feel like we're the only ones watching, but everything is clicking this season. Having that and Andor to watch on the same day has made Wednesdays a day to look forward to.

I second that last statement, I watch Andor pretty much immediately, and if I have time and don't have to get to bed, Mysterious Benedict comes next.

Will get into more specific soon.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2863 on: November 24, 2022, 07:37:32 PM »
Andor

Nothing like Star Wars.  No force, no Jedi, no dark side, no Skywalker.  Still, some good creature stuff.

It is, instead, the best show on revolution against mundane fascism since The Battle of Algiers.

The reveals, the character development, the planning and even the politics were all fascinating, and they fit the general outline of the timeframe pretty well.  By the third episode, I was invested in these characters and the tight spots they found themselves in. Honestly, I can’t wait for the next season.

4.5/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2864 on: November 24, 2022, 08:23:26 PM »
I have 1 episode of Andor to go, but unless it totally stuffs it up, it has been by far the best of the Marvel/Star Wars tv shows that Disney has been making. And it is the best by a fair margin.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2865 on: November 24, 2022, 09:34:45 PM »
It is to SW TV what WandaVision is to Marvel TV, which is to say in a class by itself, and yet I don't think I'll be rewatching it as much as some of the lower-quality shows because it's more something you have to absorb yourself into and not the quick fix of a Mando or even the best parts of Obi Wan.

It is the best writing for any Star Wars project ever. Some Hall of Fame monologues and performances that warrant serious award consideration. Faye Marsay (Vel Sartha) is doing better work than most actors in television right now, but she's in a show where Genevieve O'Reilly (Mon Mothma) is giving one of the greatest SW performances ever, and neither can compete with Denise Gough (Dedra Meero), who is so convincing I had to make the effort to look up interviews and clips where she's acting in other things. Her cold expressions as Dedra make her and the role one and the same on a level of Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #2866 on: November 29, 2022, 01:23:39 AM »
Finished The Bear today. Agree with all the praise I’ve seen for it. Really nice blend of naturalism and sentimentality. Hoping to find another show that’s as distracting from treadmill workouts. Any suggestions?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2867 on: November 29, 2022, 03:46:34 AM »
I have 1 episode of Andor to go, but unless it totally stuffs it up, it has been by far the best of the Marvel/Star Wars tv shows that Disney has been making. And it is the best by a fair margin.

It stuck the landing. A finish where if there is no season 2 I am satisfied, and if there is a season 2 I look forward to see what happens to the characters.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2868 on: December 01, 2022, 11:29:41 PM »
Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities
I went in wondering how I would handle placing individual episodes into my Horror/Thriller 1000 since each episode is the length of a short feature and none are connected, much like Masters of Horror which has 4 films in the list. Turned out to be a non-issue since these stories constantly come close only to fall way short. I wonder if any of these were abandoned scraps from GDT's Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark since nearly all of them involve a creature coming in towards the end. (It would be smart to ditch Scary's badly-handled mystical book, replacing it with del Toro as a host with his puzzle box cabinet.) Unfortunately, the creatures are either lacking in detail or rendered with reality-breaking low quality CGI. None of the episodes are bad, and with all of them you seem to be getting the uncompromised vision of the directors, but none of them can be called a success either.

wuatenigenu1

« Reply #2869 on: December 04, 2022, 12:02:26 AM »
Been diving back into Mr. Robot. Still amazing acting and great concept