love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 222064 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #2920 on: July 20, 2023, 11:05:56 AM »
Somebody Somewhere is an absolute joy. Jeff Hiller is a treasure.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2921 on: July 23, 2023, 11:40:47 PM »
In the animation forums there is a trifecta of recent Disney series that are always recommended:
-Gravity Falls
-The Owl House
-Amphibia

All three have the usual YA fantasy trope of kids sent to a world of magic and mystery and adventure and they become magical humans themselves and so save one world or another.   However, I appreciated all three despite the overlapping YA themes of romance, undermining authority and lessons to be learned each episode.  Looking past all that, each have decent character development and truly unique surprises, although few in their respective first seasons.

Gravity Falls has a pair of twins sent to their uncle in backwoods Oregon, where both fake and real conspiracies exist. The best part of this series are the wonderfully extreme characters-- the boy intent on solving mysteries, the girl wanting new experiences and is impossibly cheerful. The greedy uncle with secrets, the upbeat helper, and the cheerful janitor who is the surprise GOAT of the series. The end felt too brief, and the story seemed to be better wrapped up with another season or half season.  Still, it is a completed plot with complete characters. 3.5

That cannot be said of my favorite of the three, The Owl House.  Disney shut the series down at the end of the second season with at least another season of plot to finish. Disney shut it down because the content was to LGBTQ friendly, that it wouldn't be seen in some major overseas markets.  The outcry of some other markets convinced Disney that they should allow four long-ish episodes.  So what we have instead of a full season is a montage of scenes trying to quickly catch us up and a concluding episode.  This was extremely frustrating.

But of all, I want to spend time in the world and characters.  It is a fun twist of Hogwarts, with more satisfying characters.  4.5

Amphibia is the only fully realized series of the three, with three full seasons. It seems aimed to a younger audience than the other two, so the "lessons" are more obvious.  By the third season, the humor matures and the stakes become high, and it feels much more like a magical girl anime.  A lot of fun, but the character development is pretty weak, I think. 3.5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2922 on: August 31, 2023, 11:01:28 PM »
Halfway through season 5 of Vera, and I feel like I'm done. I love Brenda Blethyn to pieces and her character is great, but the story/structure is always the same. They just aren't great murder mysteries.

Speaking of that, my wife and I are 4 episodes deep into Only Murders in the Building. We're invested enough to stick with it, but we both wish the show was a little funnier than it is. Also the surreal moments really don't work very well.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2923 on: September 01, 2023, 11:47:14 AM »
Speaking of that, my wife and I are 4 episodes deep into Only Murders in the Building. We're invested enough to stick with it, but we both wish the show was a little funnier than it is. Also the surreal moments really don't work very well.
You've correctly identified the show's biggest weakness. I thought that aspect smoothed out after Episode 1, but it pops up throughout and came back hard during an episode of Season 3. The show gets better because the interaction between the three leads grows increasingly endearing, and there's an undertow of sadness to all the characters that gives the show a little depth to fill the void left by it not being as funny as you expect from a Martin & Martin project. The humor is something that seeps back in the more everyone gets comfortable.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2924 on: September 24, 2023, 03:29:47 PM »
You've correctly identified the show's biggest weakness. I thought that aspect smoothed out after Episode 1, but it pops up throughout and came back hard during an episode of Season 3. The show gets better because the interaction between the three leads grows increasingly endearing, and there's an undertow of sadness to all the characters that gives the show a little depth to fill the void left by it not being as funny as you expect from a Martin & Martin project. The humor is something that seeps back in the more everyone gets comfortable.

It took me through the first season to love the show. Season three is even more Martin and Martin awesomeness.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 03:36:29 PM by Sandy »

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2925 on: September 24, 2023, 03:32:35 PM »
Just finished the two seasons of Good Omens.... my heart hurts, a lot.

Didn't know it was a love story until well into the episodes.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2926 on: September 24, 2023, 04:53:46 PM »
Good Omens, both seasons were so good, loved them.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2927 on: September 24, 2023, 08:17:09 PM »
I need to remember to sign back up for Netflix for a month to catch up on the latest seasons of Black Mirror and Sex Education. Other than watching soccer on Apple TV and Peacock I almost forget I have a TV these days.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2928 on: January 11, 2024, 09:00:09 PM »
Echo is not good. It's better than Secret Wars, but I don't understand the intention here. It's both too Marvel and not Marvel enough. Wants to hold you hand and let you know it's still part of the Marvel machine, but forgets to be exciting or fun. The pace is even slower than The Eternals.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2929 on: January 15, 2024, 10:38:29 PM »
Sex Education, season 4-- I feel that this season is really just about the wrap up. Which I appreciate, I needed some closure on certain relationships.  But it doesn't have the spark, the controversy, nor the humor of the earlier seasons.  It's good for what it is, but I expected more.

Bee and Puppycat-- I'm on my second watch of this animated show.  It originated with a series of shorts (available on YouTube) and this follow up (available on Netflix)  takes some elements from the original shorts, retells parts of those stories, totally fails to mention other parts and gives us a whole reboot.  I love this show.  It is as gentle as Bluey, but is so complex visually and in background, that viewers have to pay close attention to understand what is happening. This is not a kid's show, although it has the look and pacing of one.  It is primarily about the frustrations of work, set in a fantasy/SF world which is nonsensical, until we dig a little deeper.  Well, maybe it is still nonsensical. But the more I watch it, the more sense it makes, like Puppycat's speech, which becomes more like a form of English as I keep listening to it.  Subtitles are highly recommended.

I think I'm done with the "tough guys justifying their excessive violence" shows.  Reacher and Justified are interesting, but also makes me a little queasy.

I watched half an episode of Echo, and I think I got it.  I like the indigenous background, and Kingpin is a solid character, but there just isn't enough to keep me interested.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love