love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226300 times)

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2012, 08:36:05 PM »
GTO

Lesson 5: An Eye for an Eye, a Butt for a Butt
The camera pan of Uchiyamada's daughter: the series has adopted Onizuka's visual POV smh-lol.  Huh, unless I'm missing something, Onizuka's request of pics from Kikuchi is a genuine one?  I thought it was part of a revenge/teach-them-a-lesson scheme.

Lesson 6: Conspiracies All Around
Anko's (or Miyabi's?) line about the minds of middle-aged men is Ozu-esque  ;D

Lesson 7: The Mother of all Crushes
This epi cracked me the hell up.  Based on how many times I laughed hard, this is probably a top 50 episode.  Gems: Onizuka's excitement after Yoshikawa's description of Miss Murai; "That line makes me melt."; another camera pan starting from the legs (smh-lol); the perfume.  Despite all the awesome silliness, some poignancy is achieved with the Murais' backstory.

Lesson 8: Bungee Jumping Made Easy
The Doraemon and Kenshiro references went over my head.  One of the bottom-tier epis in my book.  I'm hoping we delve into Uchiyamada's family life. 

Lesson 9: Onizuka and the Art of War
What's in store for Toroko?  The swimming sequence is great.  Was the Inugami Family a reference to the Nekogami manga?  I saw the Ichikawa movie but I don't get why Onizuka yelled it out in the pool.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:20:48 PM by Verite »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2012, 09:35:11 PM »
The Kenshiro and Doraemon jokes are what put it over the top! One of the great episodes!

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »
School me on the references, Great Teacher Roujin.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2012, 10:31:25 PM »
School me on the references, Great Teacher Roujin.

Don't encourage him!

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »
FLY is also a fan of GTO. Been forever since I have watched it though.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »
Figured I'd jot down my thoughts as I revisit ST:TNG season 2.

STTNG S201 "The Child" - What a dud season opener.  The story has no zing to it... no mystery, no surprise.  The introduction of the lame Dr. Pulaski.  On the plus side: bearded Riker, first Guinan episode (screw the haters, I dig Guinan) and it's a Troi-centric episode in which she's not completely useless.  But otherwise... blah.  4/10

STTNG S202 "Where Silence Has Lease" - All-around good ep.  Solid sci-fi premise, maybe a little too close to Q but very satisfying.  Love how somber it gets towards the end ("Gymnopedie"!).  8/10

STTNG S203 "Elementary, Dear Data" - I know this is a fan favorite, but I'm not big on holodeck episodes.  Too often it's just a chance for the actors to dress up and make pat observations about current society.  As far as holodeck eps go, however, this is one of the better ones.  7/10

STTNG S204 "The Outrageous Okona" - A mess.  TNG's attempt to come up with a suave, Han Solo/Don Juan character is laughable.  His story goes nowhere special and the resolution is predictable as hell.  The subplot with Data trying to learn humor has potential, but is squandered.  Points deducted for suggesting that Joe Piscopo was ever funny.  2/10

STTNG S205 "Loud as a Whisper" - A decent premise, and again we have Troi's abilities actually coming in handy for something besides just stating the obvious.  But Riva (Howie Seago) is super creepy looking.  6/10

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2012, 08:21:03 PM »
Yay! I'll happily follow along with your ST:TNG seaon 2 thoughts!

first Guinan episode (screw the haters, I dig Guinan)

Me too. :)

STTNG S202 "Where Silence Has Lease" - All-around good ep.  Solid sci-fi premise, maybe a little too close to Q but very satisfying.  Love how somber it gets towards the end ("Gymnopedie"!).  8/10

Side note of no importance. Richard Mulligan (Soap) was possibly going to play the alien Nagilum named for him--which is Mulligan backwards without one l.

STTNG S203 "Elementary, Dear Data" - I know this is a fan favorite, but I'm not big on holodeck episodes.  Too often it's just a chance for the actors to dress up and make pat observations about current society.  As far as holodeck eps go, however, this is one of the better ones.  7/10

I'm not a huge fan of the holodeck episodes either unless Broccoli is involved.

STTNG S205 "Loud as a Whisper" - A decent premise, and again we have Troi's abilities actually coming in handy for something besides just stating the obvious.  But Riva (Howie Seago) is super creepy looking.  6/10

Interesting to think about this episode following after my time with Sound and Fury (Thanks for the recommendation btw :) ) Your Troi comment goes right to my well worn pathways to one of my favorite quotes, "Look! I have one job on this lousy ship, it's stupid, but I'm gonna do it! Okay?" (Galaxy Quest)

Can't wait til you get to season 3!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2012, 10:56:44 PM »
Sandy!  Great to have your input!

I'll be doing season 3 when the Blu-Ray comes out, which I think is scheduled for June.  I'll probably get to disc 2 of season 2 later this week.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2012, 11:26:26 PM »
STTNG S206 "The Schizoid Man" - a "Data's not acting like himself" episode.  Seems like they did a lot of these, but they're usually fun/good thanks to Spiner's talent.  This is one of the lesser ones, though.  It takes everyone way too long to figure out what happened to him.  6/10

STTNG S207 "Unnatural Selection" - Pulaski-centric ep that's really slow.  Blah.  4/10

STTNG S208 "A Matter of Honor" - I like Riker in this mode, curious and ballsy.  Normally I wouldn't be too interested in a Klingon-heavy ep, but this one works nicely.  Decent subplot with the Benzite, too.  8/10 

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2012, 12:20:46 AM »
I liked the Worf's kid epsiodes. All that kid living by a warrior code stuff is potential-full (even *gulp* in 300). TNG is DNA level stuff, wouldn't know how to properly critique it.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy