Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226290 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2013, 11:36:18 PM »
Reading your post, I was starting to wonder how you've stuck with it so long. The scenes between Elba and Wilson are my favorite because they bring out Luther's Dexter tendencies. It's what I think Neil Cross is going for. A cop driven so dark he has serial killer qualities. Even though Cross builds in a lot of latitude by not explaining what got Luther into such deep trouble before Season 1, he crosses into unbelievable territory many a time.

The scene that I think is the biggest betrayal of staying true to Luther's character is during 1:2 when Luther is forced into Russian Roulette. He turns all soft and beggy. I think it's meant to show Luther's limit, but it reminded me of early James Woods characters who, when in a similar situation, say "f' it" and encourage the shooter to bring on the bullet. The Luther we meet during the rest of the show would do the same.

I don't know what your problem is with Ruth Wilson (and this isn't just my love of redheads). She's sometimes a bit of the cartoon Hannibal Lecter became, but more often a nice blend of Dexter and Moriarty with a large helping of Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2013, 11:59:15 PM »
I don't know what your problem is with Ruth Wilson (and this isn't just my love of redheads). She's sometimes a bit of the cartoon Hannibal Lecter became, but more often a nice blend of Dexter and Moriarty with a large helping of Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Well, that was your second reference to Dexter, which I think is a pretty silly show and character. Moriarty is a great character, but also not particularly believable in a modern context. And Angel is a vampire with a soul: if he showed up in a gritty contemporary police procedural, you'd roll your eyes. However, as I've already confessed my affection for Elba, it's only fair that I honor your love of redheads.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 12:13:28 AM by don s. »
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2013, 12:03:37 AM »
Luther is not the cleverest show of it's type, but I find the characters so enjoyable and the writing (despite it's flaws) so entertaining that I was able to fully embrace the contrivances and just enjoy the ride. It definitely prioritizes flashy concepts and larger-than-life characters over strict realism, but that's part of the charm for me, and I find the execution to make it all work.

I'm glad you're finding at least some enjoyment in it. I'll be interested in hearing your opinion of the second story in season two, which has at the very least my favorite opening scene of the series.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »
"Orange Is the New Black"

Thank you, Junior!
Texan Down Under

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2013, 08:51:30 PM »
So I've been watching a marathon of "Million Dollar Listing: Los Angeles" this afternoon, and one of the real estate agents was faintly mocking a buyer for paying what he thought was a slightly inflated price for a house on Rodeo Drive. "People will pay more for the fancy label," he tells us. At this moment we are treated to a view of what appears to be a Louis Vuitton humidor on his desk.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2013, 12:06:21 AM »

Thank you, Junior!

You're welcome! It's pretty fantastic. Gonna make my top 50.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

exskiman

« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2013, 11:54:07 AM »

Thank you, Junior!

You're welcome! It's pretty fantastic. Gonna make my top 50.

Just finished watching the season as well and was surprised by just how much I loved it. I've already submitted my list but I only put in 30 so I might as well add it as I feel it definitely deserves a spot.

Granted no matter how much I like or love the show I will always have a tinge of dread that it may all fall apart at any moment simply because of who created the show. I can't say I ever particularly loved Weeds but the first 3 seasons were a fun, well made guilty-pleasure. The change in quality from very solid fun to just plain awful (between season 3 and 4) is unlike anything I have ever seen in my life.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2013, 12:25:06 AM »

Enlightened - "The Weekend", 1.4

:'(
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2013, 12:50:35 AM »
So good.

exskiman

« Reply #149 on: August 10, 2013, 01:33:06 PM »
What a great show. Such a shame it got cancelled after two seasons though with the ratings it had I suppose we should be thankful it even got 2. The second season is one of the strongest seasons of any tv show I have watched in a good long while.

love