Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226390 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2013, 02:11:12 PM »
Cowboy Bebop 1.4 Gateway Shuffle

While I've got qualms with the plot of this episode, it seems like this is where the show takes the first step to evolving. Valentine's story drifting in space serves as a b-plot that gets woven into the larger story. I wasn't immediately won over by her character in the first episode, but her whole bit every time a ship comes by makes her endearing because she's playful with a nice dose of spunk. My biggest laugh of the show so far is when Spike and Jet find Valentine.

But the actual plot of this episode feels like the weakest one of the show so far. Eco-terrorism almost always makes for poorly motivated, boring villains and while Mom is certainly a chilling presence, as an actual character she's really dumb. It's such a lazy and bad way to build conflict. Still, there are some great scenes here, like when Spike is trying to break open the device Valentine finds.

Cowboy Bebop 1.5 Ballad of Fallen Angels

So far, the show's happy-go-lucky spirit has been one of its most endearing qualities, so for the show to switch gears into something this dark and dramatic should be a turnoff, but in some ways it makes it work even better. There's a time for the fun action romps, but this isn't one of those times. Spike even knows it. When Jet tells him to walk away from this one, he agrees, but he knows he has to see it through.

There are two scenes in this episode that are breathtaking. The first is Spike entering the chapel. The lighting and use of color is astounding. The detail of animation for a TV show feels almost gratuitous for backgrounds that last mere seconds. And the song Rain is just perfect for the moment and adds that final bit of mood which makes the scene haunting and beautiful.

The second scene is Spike falling out the window. It's long, almost too long, but it gives us enough taste of Spike's past to give us a suggestion of what might be going on, but without just coming out and telling us. Maybe the show will fill in the blanks, but I kinda hope it doesn't. I think this might be the best episode of the show so far. Also, the last bit between Spike and Valentine is a great way to lighten the dark mood of the episode.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2013, 02:16:50 PM »
So far we agree. I wonder when that will end.

Sure seems to be taking longer than usual for me to disagree with you.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #172 on: October 05, 2013, 02:55:59 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMtaEASd2LI

It was TV a week or so ago and I thought it was a great episode. I think it was primarily done with the Northern Soul film due to be released later on this year.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #173 on: October 07, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 3, Episode 20  "Prom"

I've slowly been watching Buffy over the past couple of years, I watch it in streaks.  I think that there can be a lot of throwaway episodes having to do with a weird teacher or a possessed student, etc., but then you have the main episodes, the ones that push Buffy's story forward.  I find these the most interesting.  I don't think I really embraced the show until episode 7 "Angel".  The Angel episodes have always been my favorite. 

*mild spoilers ahead*

So Prom, I really loved this episode.  Buffy finally gets the recognition she deserves from her peers, she gets her dance with Angel, finally Buffy gets a small moment of happiness.  I liked that her and Giles got to share a few father-daughter moments as well.  You could really see the pride in his face when they were giving Buffy her due credit. I think this show really has some great moments, and this one was one of my favorites I've seen so far.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #174 on: October 07, 2013, 07:43:37 PM »
Yup, that one sticks out in my memory as being really great.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #175 on: October 07, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »
Did anyone ever watch Angel?  Is it worth watching?
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #176 on: October 07, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »
It's got a following, I think. I've watched only the first episode but plan on returning to it at some point.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #177 on: October 07, 2013, 09:12:38 PM »

Hell yes. It started pretty good and got to be great. Season 4 is a big deal because it's one long story about Angel and his group fighting the Apocalypse. Also, many believe the greatest Buffy/Angel story was told on Angel. Overall there are less bad episodes in 5 years of Angel than in Buffy Seasons 2-4.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #178 on: October 07, 2013, 09:16:59 PM »
I'm really not crazy about the first season of Angel, but it progressively gets better and the last season of Angel might be the best season of any Whedon thing.

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #179 on: October 07, 2013, 09:31:44 PM »

...Overall there are less bad episodes in 5 years of Angel than in Buffy Seasons 2-4.

I would agree, but would add there are also fewer transcendent ones.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

love