Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226281 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #230 on: March 18, 2014, 04:56:35 PM »
That does sound good, I may have to check it out.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #231 on: March 18, 2014, 05:23:06 PM »
And this is the next episode!

Turks & Caicos stars Bill Nighy, Christopher Walken, Winona Ryder, Helena Bonham Carter, Ralph Fiennes, Rupert Graves, Ewen Bremner, James Naughton, Dylan Baker and Zach Grenier. It was filmed in London and Turks & Caicos.

I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #232 on: March 26, 2014, 10:49:58 PM »
Brooklyn Nine-Nine just ended one of the best first seasons of a sitcom in recent history with a super fantastic episode. The cast has come together really well and the show, which started good, found its feet so quickly that it already seems like an old pro and is doing some interesting storytelling that most sitcoms wait a few years (I'm looking at you, New Girl) to try.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #233 on: March 27, 2014, 03:46:36 AM »
And FOX didn't even cancel it.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #234 on: March 27, 2014, 04:37:56 AM »
I picked the right week to watch The Good Wife live. Really lucked out there, as the subsequent spoilers are impossible to avoid. Pretty sure it's still the best drama on network television and maybe the best drama on tv, period. Hope it comes to Netflix eventually so more people can enjoy it.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #235 on: March 27, 2014, 06:13:10 AM »
Just watched the first 2 episodes of The 100. It is ok, good range of characters, but they have shown a reluctance to kill them off. Still it has potential.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #236 on: March 28, 2014, 01:01:50 PM »
And this is the next episode!

Turks & Caicos stars Bill Nighy, Christopher Walken, Winona Ryder, Helena Bonham Carter, Ralph Fiennes, Rupert Graves, Ewen Bremner, James Naughton, Dylan Baker and Zach Grenier. It was filmed in London and Turks & Caicos.

They apparently filmed a second and third episode back-to-back. The third is called "Salting the Battlefield."
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #237 on: March 28, 2014, 02:02:33 PM »
It went out the other night, still trying to catch up on ep 2. Nighy seems to be getting angrier each episode, which I need to see.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #238 on: March 31, 2014, 12:48:36 PM »
Dollhouse

Dollhouse is a two season science fiction thriller by Joss Whedon.  Here's the setup: in LA there is a house set up for those who no longer want to live their lives, but need a "break".  A neuroscience genius named Topher saves their personality digitally and then wipes their brain, giving only the bare bones of functionality, without personality.  Their bodies, meanwhile, can be loaded up with a different personality and sent out on "assignments", usually prostitution fantasies, but sometimes quite dangerous.  The story focuses on Echo, the most requested "doll" who, of course, has a mysterious past, and strange abilities.

At first the series only real interest is setting up the situation.  It is a fascinating SF world, one that doesn't seem very removed from the present.  But after a time Echo's adventures on her assignments are repetitive and we seem to be in a stasis.  There isn't much of the tell-tale Whedon humor, and it's clever and all, and there's some progression... until the final episode of the first season.

At this point, and for the rest of the show, the 13 episodes of the second season, we are in high gear and this is some of the most remarkable television ever.  The plot very much intensifies and speeds up, and there isn't room to breathe.   Secrets are revealed as well as a crazy alternative future.  We are quickly caught up with the changes in characters.  I wish I could tell you just a bit about what happens, but I shouldn't.

What I will say is that Dollhouse is an underwatched series, and the second season is some of the best speculative fiction on television.  I'm glad they decided to shut it down early because stretching this out for another two seasons would have been unbearable.  As it is, the second season is taut, strong, character- as well as  plot-driven and worth going through the slow first season to set up for the glory that is to come.

4/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #239 on: March 31, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »
Yeah I've got those seasons. I like it despite the tendency to put her in lingerie all the time (or maybe that's why I liked it, not sure  :o). Liked the twists it went into in the second season. Really blew itself out, like they knew they weren't getting another season. Nice not great, but nice is good (huh?).

love