Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226547 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #360 on: August 01, 2014, 02:19:20 PM »
Manhattan ep 101

Really strong pilot. I'd read the script and found they pulled back on some of the more outlandish moments. John Benjamin Hickey creates a compelling central character and the setting and period details are great. Not sure how long they can sustain the series in this claustrophobic setting, but I'm willing to see them try.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #361 on: August 01, 2014, 03:39:04 PM »
Alias Season 2

After watching Season 1 and being hooked, season two kept up much the same heightened excitement from the first. More twists and turns and changes came than season 1, so I feel I am still processes those, as I come to grips of how this one ended and the implications to many of the story lines, it seems like season 3 will have plenty of change as well. In many ways that is a good thing because it means new opportunities at plot, but at the same time it feels less well thought out from a script perspective. Almost like they're making it up as they go along. But in any case, so long as Sydney Bristow and company continuing kicking ass, I'll stay tuned in to finish the series.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #362 on: August 01, 2014, 04:49:55 PM »
Season 1 is pretty strong with minimal leaps into the fantastic. Those leaps grow larger as the series continues, but Sydney and company anchor it solidly to the point where you feel they kind of deserved better material. Great things still lie ahead and weaknesses as well, but I don't want to point them out and spoil.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #363 on: August 01, 2014, 07:37:28 PM »
I love Alias. With all the talk around the place now about Lucy and female leads i don't think Jennifer Garner gets enough credit or recognition for what she did on that show. She was badass all the way through.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #364 on: August 04, 2014, 11:52:07 AM »
Manhattan ep 102

A solid second episode that suggests this show knows what it's doing and where it's going. The interrogation/torture parallels to contemporary times was the only thing that really seemed forced.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:15:25 PM by saltine »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #365 on: August 04, 2014, 03:49:53 PM »
The Almighty Johnsons S3E01-04

Still loads of fun. This is likely to be the last season and it looks like it is going to finish strongly. I have enjoyed this New Zealand series lots and would happily recommend it to people. It should be watched from the beginning as there is an overarching story. Oh, what is it about. A family of 4 brothers who are all Norse gods in human form.

SmashTheTV

« Reply #366 on: August 11, 2014, 03:28:17 AM »
The Almighty Johnsons

WOW I didn't think this would have an audience outside NZ.

I am watching The Returned. A French mystery. Just finished episode 3. Loving it! Fantastic music and scenery. If you guys enjoyed Top of The Lake (or even Twin Peaks) you should definitely give this a go.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #367 on: August 11, 2014, 07:10:13 AM »
I heard about it from the Boxcutters podcast and thought it sounded good, so bought the first season. Watched that and bought the next 2 as they came available. Did you enjoy it SmashTheTV?

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #368 on: August 11, 2014, 07:59:35 AM »
Some of us here watched The Returned, season 1.  I loved it.

The Almighty Johnsons looks interesting.  I'll have to check it out !
Texan Down Under

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #369 on: August 14, 2014, 09:29:31 AM »
Farewell, Wilfred  :'(

Of the two final episodes I preferred the first, and honestly feel like that could have been an ending point of its own (and one that I would have been fine with) though the real ending was also pretty great. The montage in that one was fantastic, though once things started to bottom out there, it felt like the show could use a little more time. Mostly it kind of breaks a lot of the show's internal logic, which is a bit of a bummer, but this was such a unique and occasionally beautiful show that I can't help but love it. I wrote on my flog last night that throughout its run Wilfred was never the exact show I wanted it to be, especially given its premise and the questions it concerned itself with, and the finale echoed that, but despite that it was incredible and refreshing for what it was, and TV is a worse place now that it's finished.

love