love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226537 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #470 on: December 20, 2014, 08:24:21 AM »
Sounds great, will have to see if they made podcasts of them since I can't use iPlayer stateside. Feel like awareness and options have changed significantly even in 2 decades since I was at the critical age.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #471 on: December 20, 2014, 12:43:24 PM »
The Legend of Korra is over.

P.S. It was fantastic.

Cool.  Now I can watch it.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #472 on: December 20, 2014, 12:46:55 PM »
I watched the first season and a half and I just could never bring myself to care about any of the characters so I quit watching.  :-\

The second season is the weakest link in the series, but I still enjoyed the characters. I think as the show goes on the best characters kinda emerge into the spotlight more (Less Mako, more Bolin!).

The Legend of Korra is over.

P.S. It was fantastic.

Cool.  Now I can watch it.

Please report back! :)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #473 on: December 28, 2014, 01:27:31 PM »
True Detective

Josh Larsen, referring to Inherent Vice uses the phrase "the plot is a joke". True Detective is a good example. Do you care who the killer is? Why he is killing? The plot performs the role of a cattle prod to zap the character out of the two main players. Events occur that force an emotional reaction. It gets them talking. It provides them with an excuse to talk about themselves and each other. It's McConaughey and Harrelson doing the talking. It's also M & H playing different ages of men. Any series, which puts Harrelson in the conservative of the two roles is probably going to extreme places. The McConaughey back story is awesomely extreme. It's an extremely bad idea for this man to be anywhere near this case or any murder. Harrelson is an anchor, but, being Woody, a consummate noir player; he gets to explain how he remains grounded- family, mistress, drink. Like  a cop's holy trinity. The cop in a noir anyway. In a typical duality, he understands the madness in his partner, whilst despising his intellectual aloofness, his snobbish attitude to "down-home". The third major character is Louisiana. Harrelson respects it. McC disdains it. Dave Robidoux's Louisiana but a taste of Angel Heart's Louisiana also. The other reality that leads to madness and murder- the reality of supernatural religion. Louisiana's touch of madness and an unhinged Texas cop seeing things as he comes down from narcotics overload. A good old boy cop stuck in the middle. The beautiful extremities of character.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #474 on: January 05, 2015, 08:56:10 PM »
Rewatching Justified with the girlfriend (she hasn't seen it) in preparation for the final season in a few weeks. I haven't seen the first season since it aired or at least close to back then. I'm surprised at how smooth it has been from the get go. I remember it taking a little while to get really good but it has been awesome since the first scene.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #475 on: January 06, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »
Finally got around to watching Hannibal and knocked out season one in less than a week. I remember when it first came out I gave the pilot about 15 minutes before turning it off (when Hettienne Park came on spouting really bad exposition). To me it seemed like NBC was trying to make CSI with Thomas Harris's characters. Boy, was I wrong.

The visuals, characterization, and dialogue are in league with the very best shows on TV. It's one of the most sophisticated shows I've ever seen. And it is astoundingly dark in a very compelling way.

I finished season 1 and immediately watched the first episode of season 2, which looks like it's going to be just as good.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #476 on: January 06, 2015, 04:54:25 PM »
Rewatching Justified with the girlfriend (she hasn't seen it) in preparation for the final season in a few weeks. I haven't seen the first season since it aired or at least close to back then. I'm surprised at how smooth it has been from the get go. I remember it taking a little while to get really good but it has been awesome since the first scene.

For me, Justified peaked with Season 2 and then totally lost me in Season 5. My wife and I watched 8 episodes and gave up. Thought it was just a mess. I'd love to see them course-correct in the final season.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #477 on: January 06, 2015, 08:26:53 PM »
I finished season 1 and immediately watched the first episode of season 2, which looks like it's going to be just as good.

Glad to hear it has another fan around these parts! I think it's fair to say there's nothing like it on TV (or has ever been), at least not for a show that airs on NBC on Fridays at 10.

If you liked season 1, can only imagine what you'll think of season 2. The season finale of 2 is easily one of my favorite episodes of the year. The visuals, the performances (Dancy, Mikkelsen, Fishburne and Dhavernas deserve the most acclaim, holy crap are they incredible)... It's grade A for me.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #478 on: January 07, 2015, 04:54:37 PM »
Hannibal is fantastic!

Also, watching Happy Valley, excellent in every way.
Texan Down Under

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #479 on: January 07, 2015, 09:29:40 PM »
I watched the first few episodes of Hannibal. I liked it but so far I just haven't really wanted to go back to it.