Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226564 times)

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #550 on: February 18, 2015, 03:20:41 PM »
Finished season 3 of Justified. Neal McDonough made for a great villain. I would rank this season second best behind season 2 but ahead of 1.

Halfway through 5 now. 4 is a good season but loses major points for the overlong Ellen May storyline. It had a strong last few episodes though. I'm going to rank it my least favourite of the 4.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #551 on: February 19, 2015, 12:08:34 AM »
Just watched the first 2 episodes of Misfits (UK), great stuff.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #552 on: February 25, 2015, 11:36:03 AM »
I've watched the first 3 episodes of The Affair.  I find it compelling enough to keep watching, but I'm not blown away yet.  I do like how the story is told in the first half of the ep by Noah's point of view and the second half by Alison's point of view, it adds nuance to the storytelling.  They haven't revealed everything about the story yet, so I like how it is peeling away the layers.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #553 on: February 25, 2015, 04:14:50 PM »
In my view, The Affair gets better as it goes along.  Really great acting drove my appreciation for it in the first half, and plot development kept me watching until the end.
Texan Down Under

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #554 on: February 25, 2015, 11:15:57 PM »
Was excited that Orphan Black S2 became available on Amazon Prime. Disappointed when I realized I had binged six episodes on demand when I stayed at my cousin's last May so I only had four new episodes to watch and now have to wait again.

#clonedanceparty is my everything.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #555 on: February 26, 2015, 01:12:21 AM »
How to Get Away with Murder is a crap show that I generally watch against my will, but it's suddenly all worth it, with Cicely Tyson dominating the most recent episode.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #556 on: February 26, 2015, 05:27:35 PM »
#clonedanceparty is my everything.

Maybe you already know this, but the dancing is actually part of Maslany's prep before doing a scene. Each clone has her own dance to help her get in character.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #557 on: February 26, 2015, 08:13:55 PM »
Re- The Affair.

Not the best show, but it's pretty good. There's a scene with Ruth Wilson's character and her therapist in episode 9 that is incredible. It made me think she's worthy of awards consideration at the very least.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #558 on: February 26, 2015, 10:37:57 PM »
She won the Golden Globe for her performance in The Affair.

She's a terrific actress.
Texan Down Under

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #559 on: March 04, 2015, 12:25:54 AM »
House of Cards S3

The almost sheer melodrama of season 2 was fun and all, but I kind of like that season 3 is more grounded. Heck, Frank Underwood almost seems admirable. It is hardball, cynical politics, but it no longer goes beyond the pale. It has a stronger shade of realism. And his hardball here has an real relevance to current events. His initial effort with America Works hits on extraconstitutional issues much as Obama's immigration actions have, with similar response from Congress. And that signature policy may be insane in real policy terms, but I appreciate the populism in action involved. So in this way, the season feels the most settled and accomplished.

But it also feels perhaps like half a season. The first two seasons had very clear markers of progress, Underwood having fought hard and leveled up as a result. Season 3 represents a character arc, but not really a plot one, and that character arc didn't have the elegance of the political one. I really was done with Doug Stamper and his arc here feels like that foot stuck in the worst parts of S2. So while the show hits some of the highest points, it seems unwilling to commit that transition which holds it back.

love