love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226335 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #570 on: March 11, 2015, 07:27:04 PM »
Empire

This show is just a ridiculous amount of fun. I mean, so much fun. They blow through huge plot points some shows would spend an entire season on in five minutes. The cast is great. Taraji P. Henson should get all the awards. All of them. Cookie for life.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #571 on: March 11, 2015, 07:57:05 PM »
Is this streaming?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #572 on: March 11, 2015, 08:18:03 PM »
I just finished bingeing Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.  It is really funny and it has great development of almost every character by the end of the show.  I really enjoyed it.  I still have the theme song continuously running through my head.

But racially, it's really problematic.  I loved the episode where Titus discovered that a black man is treated better if he's dressed as a werewolf.  "It's funny cause it's true".  But as was mentioned before, the Vietnamese character is racially poked at continuously.  But what about American Indians?  What does it mean that the blonde hair/blue eyed white character is actually Native American?  What does it mean that she came to a realization of her racial background while howling?  At best, it's a mixed bag for them.  I like some of the points-- that "indian giving" is more reflective of whites than "indians" and how some of the assumptions about Native Americans is simply silly  But is the role positive or negative?  I'm not sure.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #573 on: March 11, 2015, 11:02:46 PM »
Empire

This show is just a ridiculous amount of fun. I mean, so much fun. They blow through huge plot points some shows would spend an entire season on in five minutes. The cast is great. Taraji P. Henson should get all the awards. All of them. Cookie for life.

If I wanted to, could I imagine this is the follow-up to Hustle & Flow? Because then I would definitely watch.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #574 on: March 11, 2015, 11:23:29 PM »
There is a reveal right at the end where Jacqueline takes out contacts to reveal dark eyes. But yeah, I had a difficult time with how it include racial diversity outside of Titus. His character is more effective in part because LGBT characters are so often portrayed as upper class and/or white and/or coastal. He's from the deep south in addition to being black and it speaks to a very different experience.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #575 on: March 12, 2015, 12:17:52 AM »
I've been binge-watching The Following recently. Not sure how that started or why it continues. I'm just fascinated at the use of black males as red shirts, I guess.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #576 on: March 12, 2015, 12:24:25 AM »
Remember the day when as a TV show you could get away with that sort of thing without a lot of comment?

I just finished season 3 of Gilmore Girls. Gotta say the thing that annoys me most is Lorelei's continued beef with her parents. She is constantly ready to make her life much worse if it allows her to stick it to them. That worked season 1 but now I'd like to see some growth.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:30:04 AM by Bondo »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #577 on: March 12, 2015, 03:15:25 AM »
Empire

Is this streaming?

Season 1 eps 1-10 are currently on HuluPlus with 5 available on the free version Hulu (my guess is that it is episodes 6-10 that are available on Hulu)

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #578 on: March 12, 2015, 02:39:03 PM »
Empire

If I wanted to, could I imagine this is the follow-up to Hustle & Flow? Because then I would definitely watch.

Yes.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #579 on: March 12, 2015, 07:07:44 PM »
I've been binge-watching The Following recently. Not sure how that started or why it continues. I'm just fascinated at the use of black males as red shirts, I guess.

pixote

It's a troublesome show and I honestly can't put my finger on why it irks me so much. I just don't like its depiction of senseless violence. I'm not saying this is required, but there is nothing redeeming or emotive or resonant about anything that happens in regards to that violence. It's almost as if it's saying "You are an audience member and audience members like blood, let's give you blood." I don't even find it thrilling on a basic level like your average episode of say "24".
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard