love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226446 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #680 on: June 11, 2015, 06:31:32 PM »
Not for the Many-faced-God.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #681 on: June 12, 2015, 06:00:21 PM »
I've resisted the GoT hype machine for so long, but we just got season 1 as a wedding gift. 

Episode 1 sooiler

"The things we.do for love" :)

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 13, 2015, 06:07:47 AM »
Just finished the mid-season finale of Mushishi season 2. Figured I might as well talk a bit about the show before moving on to the next half of the season.

What Is Mushishi
A better question is, "What isn't Mushishi?" The first thing any average viewer might notice is its distinct lack of typical anime stereotypes - your big boobs, bug-eyes, and ridiculous superpowers. Mushishi is one of the rare gems out there that prove anime can be about anything, especially when you consider the definition of the term being: "Japanese animation".

The story is about a man named Ginko who could see these creatures of the world called "Mushi" (hence the title, "Mushi-Master" or "Mushi-shi"). These mushi can become a plague to people due to their capabilities, which is why mushishi like Ginko exist to help people with these problems.

Neutrality and the Respect of Nature
The greatest part about the story lies in its neutrality towards these 'mushi'. These natural phenomenon were never treated as enemies by the mushishi who know better. There are no edgy action scenes or melodramatic tragedies, just a relaxing journey with Ginko as we see nature takes its course and people doing their best not to get in the way. I would compare watching Mushishi to drinking fine sake under a moonlit sky; you would gain a greater appreciation for life and all its wonders.

I would recommend this to anyone bothered by the outrageous style of typical anime. If you like what I've described, I would also recommend you to check out Kino's Journey, another anime that breaks the mold, is almost as relaxing, and features equally profound short stories.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #683 on: June 13, 2015, 11:39:08 PM »
I'm through the first six episodes of S3 of Orange is the New Black and the best thing I can say is that it thus far is leaving behind S2's venture into big drama. S2 had plenty of really great moments in flashback and the like, but the overall arc got way off track by needing to escalate conflict to unrealistic levels (judging by the source material). I'm not sure S3 has had anything to match the better moments of S2, but so far I really liked Flaca's backstory.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #684 on: June 14, 2015, 06:30:30 AM »
I'm through the first six episodes of S3 of Orange is the New Black and the best thing I can say is that it thus far is leaving behind S2's venture into big drama. S2 had plenty of really great moments in flashback and the like, but the overall arc got way off track by needing to escalate conflict to unrealistic levels (judging by the source material). I'm not sure S3 has had anything to match the better moments of S2, but so far I really liked Flaca's backstory.

I had no idea that had even been released already. I'm just about to finish S2.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #685 on: June 14, 2015, 06:49:16 AM »
Just watched season 4 of The Guild. This show is still funny and fun, and each episode is only 6 minutes long.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #686 on: June 14, 2015, 05:48:15 PM »
Wayward Pines is the nuttiest show I've seen in a long while. Builds a mystery for four episodes, has a massive infodump in ep 5, is insane. Enjoyable because it's filled with good actors and fun characters. But, like, it's super crazy.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #687 on: June 15, 2015, 06:28:20 AM »
Wayward Pines is the nuttiest show I've seen in a long while. Builds a mystery for four episodes, has a massive infodump in ep 5, is insane. Enjoyable because it's filled with good actors and fun characters. But, like, it's super crazy.

I'm watching and it's a lot of fun. At first I thought It was gonna be a mash-up between something like Shutter Island & The Truman Show. Then it goes a bit Fortitude, then episode five happens and it goes completely mental ;D

Brilliant!

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #688 on: June 16, 2015, 11:55:42 PM »
Mushi shi is quite good.  I've only finished about half the episodes, but I love the creepy-but-not-scary feel to it.  An otherworldly presence, but also realism.

The Guild is so much fun.  It's not much in commitment and it's good comedy.

Sense8

I finished it in about four days.  It was captivating, and it was better than I thought it would be.  It would be easy for it to get lost, or to focus on some stories and not others.  Instead, it kept a precise balance of stories and interweaving.  And it didn't hurt that the cinematography and locations were always stunning.

It seems though, that more than just plot, this series is about the human experience.  Radically different cultures, moral codes, religions, and experiences still have, behind them all, a common human experience.  This comes out most clearly in the montages-- all eight characters share in sexual pleasure, in birth, in music, in love.  They struggle together through their differences and the discussions are some of the best cross-cultural interactions I've seen on screen. 

It is fun, and it isn't really deep, but what is displays is quite unique. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #689 on: June 22, 2015, 09:25:50 AM »
I watched a Modern Family episode yesterday, which I would normally not talk about but for the fact that this one was interesting. It took place entirely on a computer screen, with the "camera" focusing on the particular corner of the screen being used at that moment by the character. I thought the gimmick would become tiresome pretty soon and hoped it would be used only for the beginning of the episode ; but it turns out it worked quite well. The quality of the episode was on par with the rest of the series. It turned out to be quite a bit of interesting directing. 

love