love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226544 times)

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #690 on: June 22, 2015, 05:22:14 PM »
Silicon Valley: Binding Arbitration

Pete: "Well, it all depends on whether or not the attorneys at Hooli figure out that your girlfriend is your laptop."

Gilfoyle: "Are you telling us that this entire case hinges on people believing Richard had a girlfriend."

Dinesh: "We are CINECASTED!!!"

[Then later on at the Arbitration hearing, when Hooli have discovered that Richard's laptop is his girlfriend, Elrich tries to save the situation]

Erlich: "It’s okay, Richard. You don’t have to protect me anymore. I’m his girlfriend. I was the one who was in the shop for three days ‘cause he hit it so hard I needed a doctor."

;D I CINECASTING love this show, if only for the swearing. Erlich and Dinesh are such great characters.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #691 on: June 22, 2015, 05:50:29 PM »
The next episode is such a rollercoaster.  I was genuinely stressed out by it.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #692 on: June 22, 2015, 05:53:36 PM »
Oh, I binged through the first five episodes of Wayward Pines last night.  It's kind of trope-y and familiar (think The Prisoner meets Lost) but it takes some bold steps and is pretty engaging. 

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #693 on: June 22, 2015, 11:43:15 PM »
;D I CINECASTING love this show, if only for the swearing. Erlich and Dinesh are such great characters.
It's such a great show.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #694 on: June 23, 2015, 01:27:21 AM »
While I have been greatly enjoying the BBC adaptation of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell as it has been airing in Britain, it's not entirely perfect. One of the best things about that book was the epic scale of it even though it was also mostly a character study of the two titular magicians. Years and years pass, wars are fought and ended and fought again. The tv show, squeezed as it is into 7 episodes, loses the passage of time to achieve a much quicker pace. Additionally, the sound mix is often off to me. Maybe it's just my computer, but the voices are mixed much quieter than they should be for my liking.

With all of that said, man, this show gets almost everything else right. Casting is perfect (though there are three brunettes who all look quite similar and it can be slightly confusing), the art direction is astounding, and the regular direction is just delightful. It captures much of the source's dry sense of humor and ironic wit without the help of the footnotes which really helped expand the world of the novel outside its main story. Pretty remarkable stuff. The effect work is also top notch. Loved the ships in the opening of the second episode. I hope those on this side of the Atlantic catch up, there's only two episodes so far that have aired on BBC America. It's delightful.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #695 on: June 23, 2015, 08:12:14 AM »
Really enjoying Orange is the New Black this season.  It has progressively gotten better it seems.  I find some of the Subs that Netflix adds quite funny... around 48mins+ in the Don't Make me Come Back there episode, it says "[Black Cindy] you so gansta"

Is there a white Cindy?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #696 on: June 23, 2015, 02:09:34 PM »
It's such a great show.

I need to give it another shot.  I watched the first few episodes and it did nothing for me.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

MattDrufke

« Reply #697 on: June 23, 2015, 02:30:44 PM »
It's such a great show.

I need to give it another shot.  I watched the first few episodes and it did nothing for me.

I found you need to give it the full first season. I feel like the first 3 episodes specifically are setting up the storyline and what they want to do so Mike Judge can come in and start putting in (what feels to me) his own personal touches in the episodes. I feel like in the second half of the first season, the show finds the perfect balance between caring about the characters (and letting them have their jokes) and moving the storyline forward.
@ihatemattdrufke

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #698 on: June 24, 2015, 03:20:53 AM »
While I have been greatly enjoying the BBC adaptation of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell as it has been airing in Britain, it's not entirely perfect. One of the best things about that book was the epic scale of it even though it was also mostly a character study of the two titular magicians. Years and years pass, wars are fought and ended and fought again.

I just found out, by pure happenstance, that I have this book at home. Would you recommend it ? I was thinking of giving it a shot and try the series afterwards.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #699 on: June 24, 2015, 09:19:17 AM »
Definitely. It's a slow book but also one of the best of the new millennium.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”