love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226491 times)

MattDrufke

Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #720 on: July 16, 2015, 11:15:34 AM »
8 eps into season 3 of Game Of Thrones and this is, by far, the best season so far. You're finally starting to see why people would follow Daneyrs. That one chick fought a bear. Jaime lost a hand.

I just got done with the marriage of Tyrion & Sansa. Peter Dinklage is a damn champ actor, and doing better work on this show than most actors on most anything. His sad eyes through the entire plotline just destroy me, which is amazing considering some of the horrible stuff he was doing earlier in the season.
@ihatemattdrufke

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #721 on: July 16, 2015, 11:20:07 AM »
* Obligatory The Books Are So Much Better comment *
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Totoro

« Reply #722 on: July 18, 2015, 02:25:19 PM »
* Obligatory 'Still no one cares about your damn books" comment *

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #723 on: July 18, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
SeinfeldGood News, Bad News (#1.1)
By my count, the pilot episode of "The Seinfeld Chronicles" contains three amusing moments. First, George says to Claire (the waitress), "You're a woman, right?" and Claire drones back, "What gave it away?" It's a line that feels very indebted to Roseanne and thus maybe a little out of place on Seinfeld. It's fascinating to imagine what the series would had looked like had Lee Garlington remained the fourth lead, rather than giving way to Julia Louis-Dreyfuss. I think, tonally, I might have preferred it; but who knows. Anyway, humorous moment two: George, flummoxed that Jerry has brought in a guest bed for the woman coming to stay with him, asks, "Why not bring in another guy, too?" Or something to that effect. And then, third and best is when Jerry's visitor greets him at the airport in a fashion that's not in the greeting manual. If the pilot shows any promise of the series to come, it's in that moment. Most everything else is pretty disposable. The chemistry isn't there yet between the castmembers, and the standup routines just interrupt both the narrative and the comedic momentum (with no value added). I wonder if, as the show continues, I'll ever feel like Jerry the character (in the sitcom scenes) and Seinfeld the standup (in the nightclub act) are the same person. I suspect I won't.
Grade: C

Curb Your EnthusiasmThe Pants Tent (#1.1)
Finally getting around to giving this show a chance. It gets off to a decent start, with some solid comedy of the awkward situation. I had thought Larry David's was going to be a pure curmudgeon, so it was something of a relief to see that the character has a silly, joyous side. His mocking of Richard Lewis' "sundown" deadline was definitely a highlight, especially with Lewis acknowledging his character break in that moment. The technical aspects of the production leave a lot to be desired, however, and a good ten minutes of the half hour running time was more enervating than entertaining.
Grade: B-

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #724 on: July 18, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »

It's almost always this but I am actually on board with the deviations from the books.
Hey, nice marmot!

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #725 on: July 20, 2015, 01:15:04 AM »

It's almost always this but I am actually on board with the deviations from the books.

Me too mostly, but sometimes they change something about  character and I am «Huh...why ?» like how they made Circei so much less crueler or how they made Littlefinger's ability with coin to be nothing more than money borrowing.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #726 on: July 20, 2015, 03:13:20 PM »
Game of ThronesWinter is Coming (#1.1)
Not the most riveting start to a series, but it lays a lot of groundwork and succeeds in showing potential for the future. I wasn't expecting a supernatural element (the white walkers), so that's intriguing, but overall the show just made me want to return to my abandoned marathon of Robin of Sherwood.
Grade: C+

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #727 on: July 20, 2015, 03:16:12 PM »
It's not until the fifth episode that things start to get really great.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #728 on: July 20, 2015, 03:16:50 PM »
Ha, someone else told me it wasn't until the ninth.

pixote

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #729 on: July 20, 2015, 03:31:47 PM »
Well, it depends I guess. Make it to at least the fifth and then we'll talk.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”