Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226313 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #770 on: August 11, 2015, 11:58:34 PM »
With S8 of Doctor Who hitting Netflix finally, I have to say after two episodes I'm quite disappointed. Just not feeling Peter Capaldi in the role, though that is more not seeing the big arc yet and not finding the two episodes individual arcs particularly interesting.

MattDrufke

« Reply #771 on: August 13, 2015, 12:21:36 PM »
Bojack Horseman is masterful. The best show on TV. First season takes a few episodes to get into, but after episode 4 or so, you will most likely be hooked. The character writing in Season 2 is the best since Breaking Bad or Community and the satire on Hollywood is the most biting since Sunset Blvd.

Could not agree with this more. Just getting started with season 2 and loving it so hard. Paul F. Tompkins is hilarious with every line.
@ihatemattdrufke

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #772 on: August 13, 2015, 05:14:18 PM »
Top of the LakePart II (#1.2)
The second episode of this mini-series ends with a whimper, and the story didn't progress as much as I would have hoped, but it still succeeds on account of the weird, unsettling vibe of this location and its inhabitants. The culture of the town is honestly a little frightening — full of primitive, might-makes-right machismo and emotionally disconnected souls — but still mostly realistic. I remain very excited to see where the story goes.
Grade: B-

SeinfeldMale Unbonding (#1.4)
The heart of this episode is a very good comic conceit about how friendships lack the mechanism for ending that you find in romantic relationships: the breakup. The writing doesn't go anywhere all that interesting with the idea, unfortunately. Kramer's make-your-own-pizza enterprise provides a laugh or two, but there's still not enough rhythm to the comedy and the writing — something underscored by the fact that Elaine doesn't even show up (in person or in dialogue) until the last scene.
Grade: C

Orange Is the New BlackChing Chong Chang (#3.6)
Some nice moments, but this season remains rather directionless and just moderately engaging. The cast remains very appeals, but the writing isn't giving them enough substance. It's almost as if the show is too attached to the ensemble and too concerned with giving each character a moment, at the expense of the episode as a whole. The most notable story arc this season concerns the privatization of the prison, but that puts the focus on the less interesting characters. I don't think this show needs high drama in order to succeed; just more shape. Still, it's nice to see another periphery character (Chong) take center stage. And I remain, as even, ready for Poussey to be paroled and get her own spinoff.
Grade: C+

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #773 on: August 13, 2015, 11:32:54 PM »
Top of the LakePart II (#1.2)
The second episode of this mini-series ends with a whimper, and the story didn't progress as much as I would have hoped, but it still succeeds on account of the weird, unsettling vibe of this location and its inhabitants. The culture of the town is honestly a little frightening — full of primitive, might-makes-right machismo and emotionally disconnected souls — but still mostly realistic. I remain very excited to see where the story goes.
Grade: B-

pixote
A cautiously positive review! Looking forward to seeing what you think of the remaining episodes. Love this description, btw: "the weird, unsettling vibe of this location and its inhabitants. The culture of the town is honestly a little frightening — full of primitive, might-makes-right machismo and emotionally disconnected souls"

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #774 on: August 14, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »
Mr Robot s01e08
This is hands down the best show on television right now. Even with Hannibal in its end run and Rectify finishing another amazing season. Mr Robot has simply been astonishing. There's no other show that engages the viewer so directly. It's daring and thrilling stuff.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #775 on: August 14, 2015, 11:31:46 PM »
Mr Robot s01e08
This is hands down the best show on television right now.

You're the second person I know to say this, from completely different quarters.  Well, I guess I should give it a chance.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #776 on: August 18, 2015, 07:38:02 AM »
It was okay.
If you were lukewarm on the movie, I don't think the Netflix series will do much more for you.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #777 on: August 21, 2015, 08:08:07 PM »
Dominion S2.3 - I have very low expectations for this end of times apocalyptic SyFy series and it delivers solidly used tropes and decent action. Plus I like the subject matter. It's not top tier TV but it keeps me entertained.
Hey, nice marmot!

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #778 on: August 21, 2015, 11:10:10 PM »
Hannibal s03e12
Mads effing Mikkelsen. The delight on his face in a scene in this episode... So amazingly good. I can't say I've found this season quite as compelling as the last, but Mikkelsen might be at his very best as Hannibal. God, I'm going to miss this show.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #779 on: August 22, 2015, 04:26:33 AM »
I started to watch Game of Thrones maybe 5 years back but never got past half way through season 1.  But rewatched season 1 and half of season 2 over the last 2 weeks and now am going to finish it
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman