love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226570 times)

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #880 on: November 19, 2015, 06:51:27 PM »
Whats going on with Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories? They played one new episode of the season and have played reruns ever since.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #881 on: November 30, 2015, 05:42:59 PM »
Fargo 207
Still so, so good. So many nods to Coen films in this one. Plus, some truly beautiful moments. My theory for the season: The season will end in a way where it will be possible to interpret Betsy's death from cancer as an alien abduction... somehow.

The Knick 207
Not quite as compelling as the last episode, which is the season highlight so far, but remains one of the most visceral and compelling shows on right now.

The Last Kingdom 108
A big finale to an enjoyable season. The series strikes a weird balance between Game of Thrones and Xena: Warrior Princess that makes it highly entertaining.

Jessica Jones 101-106
About halfway through and liking the series quite a bit. Mostly for the characters. The plot seems spread a bit thin.

Catastrophe 205
Superbly funny. Love it.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #882 on: November 30, 2015, 06:00:59 PM »
Master of None: Plan B
Some solid laughs.  I love the kind of humor when pre-parents try to figure out parenthood.  Not top notch, but enough to keep me interested.

Master of None: Parents
Not really funny, but good, solid stuff.  Reflections not just on immigrant parents and their first generation kids, and how different they are, but it reflects all adult kid/parent relationships to a degree.  Am I grateful enough?  Can I ever be grateful enough?  Do they really understand the world we live in?

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #883 on: November 30, 2015, 07:23:10 PM »
Jessica Jones 101-106
About halfway through and liking the series quite a bit. Mostly for the characters. The plot seems spread a bit thin.

I wouldn't really call it great by any means, but up to and including episode 8, it's IMHO the best thing that has been done with the Marvel franchise in film and TV in recent years. After 1x08, it pretty much goes to sh*t. Also, after the introduction of the villain's powers, I always had to fight off an imagined trailer voice starting each episode with "In a world without ear plugs..."

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #884 on: November 30, 2015, 08:54:07 PM »
I didn't like Jessica Jones nearly as much as Daredevil, which for me holds the title of "the best thing that has been done with the Marvel franchise in film and TV in recent years."

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #885 on: November 30, 2015, 09:42:07 PM »
Jessica Jones 101-106

I wouldn't really call it great by any means, but up to and including episode 8, it's IMHO the best thing that has been done with the Marvel franchise in film and TV in recent years. After 1x08, it pretty much goes to sh*t. Also, after the introduction of the villain's powers, I always had to fight off an imagined trailer voice starting each episode with "In a world without ear plugs..."

Just watched episode 7 and was surprised that Kilgrave stood within arms reach of Jessica a few times. She's not superman, but she has the speed and strength to cave his head in with a good punch faster than he could say, "Stop," right?

And yeah, ear plugs, man.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #886 on: November 30, 2015, 11:11:30 PM »
I've been watching Twin Peaks and The West Wing.  Those are some shows. 
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #887 on: December 01, 2015, 01:39:58 AM »
Finished Master of None.

I think Nashville is the most enjoyable half hour of television I've seen in a long time.  Just smiling happy joy stuff.

The rest of it is spotty.  Mornings was nostalgic stuff about my early marriage-- a lot of it connected.  Finale wasn't a great ending.  Old People was fantastic, introducing a really enjoyable character, and then dropping her.   The racial perspective was mixed at best in Indian Television, especially reading Black Girl Dangerous' comment on it: http://www.blackgirldangerous.org/2015/11/open-letter-to-aziz-ansari-and-other-anti-black-people-of-color/  But Ladies and Gentlemen was a wonderful snippet of conversations about patriarchy.

One thing for certain: my favorite actor was Noel Wells and her rapport with Aziz was almost perfect.  If she returns for a second season, I'm there.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #888 on: December 01, 2015, 08:51:13 AM »
especially reading Black Girl Dangerous' comment on it: http://www.blackgirldangerous.org/2015/11/open-letter-to-aziz-ansari-and-other-anti-black-people-of-color/

Oof, I have a ton of issues with this essay, which I'm sure she would preemptively say makes me anti-black for daring to question the argument in the slightest as a non-black presumptive ally.

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #889 on: December 01, 2015, 09:15:22 AM »
especially reading Black Girl Dangerous' comment on it: http://www.blackgirldangerous.org/2015/11/open-letter-to-aziz-ansari-and-other-anti-black-people-of-color/

Oof, I have a ton of issues with this essay, which I'm sure she would preemptively say makes me anti-black for daring to question the argument in the slightest as a non-black presumptive ally.

She's arguing against a different version of what Aziz is trying to say with that joke, reading it as competitive when it's a statement about how white America deals with its minority groups in waves. He's saying that the Asian voice hasn't gotten loud enough to reach the people in between the progressives and the flat out racists, the ones who learn through repetition, rather than through understanding, that it's not okay to say bad stuff about races or genders or orientations.

love