Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226380 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #1000 on: February 29, 2016, 08:08:32 PM »
Not to kick a dead horse, but have I mentioned how much I love that series ?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1001 on: February 29, 2016, 08:09:24 PM »
You have, it's why we keep you around.  8)
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1002 on: February 29, 2016, 11:23:04 PM »
Hannibal S2Ep1

Holy heck, what a fight between Hannibal and Jack Crawford!  How was this show on network television?

Just wait until S2Ep13.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1003 on: March 01, 2016, 12:45:38 AM »
Hannibal S2Ep1

Holy heck, what a fight between Hannibal and Jack Crawford!  How was this show on network television?

Just wait until S2Ep13.

:)
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #1004 on: March 01, 2016, 04:45:49 AM »
The Night Manager

The first two episodes play as a modernisation of "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold". The story is warmed from the cold steel of the Cold War classic so that its espionage moves towards the location hopping of glam-Bond. I think the cast make this interesting but Susanne Bier directs, at least, ep1, which makes it essential viewing (and reminded me to renew my search for "After the Wedding"). She represents the chaos of Cairo during the Arab Spring. She has Tom Hiddlestone comporting himself gracefully (spellcheck wanted "composting") even through the streets of a revolution, and his calm reassurance is what gets him in so much trouble. Ep2 goes about breaking him down Burton- style; so you go from the Hidd in full Shere Khan to some real acting. Again, this is worth watching on its own but the combination of Lawrie and Hollander as the force of evil pulling strings at MI6 is delightful. Olivia Colman as the hard face of Control? Sells itself.

Like a long Le Carré the story is in no hurry. It can take all year as far as I'm concerned.

Happy Valley

More Coronation St invaders across the border into Yorkshire dales. Like English actors adopting American accents in every other film. Appropriately because James Norton as the devilish Tommy Lee shows again why he is probably the next posh bloke good with accents to get the movie call. This though is Sarah Lancashire's (the name another 2 fingers to the old enemy?) tour de force. She asks the psych evaluater "are you scared of me". A cop on the edge is in the best place to be. In these days; calling her "a right evil bitch" every ten minutes might break a PC counting sensitive chap's abacus but she really earns the title; which is my idea of equalising. Lancashire enjoys and inhabits the role; staring down her nemesis as he buries his mother. Equals instant melt down in Tommy Lee but she doesn't blink. Her press sensitive bosses faint and she holds the phone away, bored at the chewing out they want to give her. A great performance. Shirley Henderson(!) appearing as Tommy Lee's right hand of vengeance is only going to twist the gut like series1.

Really good tv is hard for films or books to match.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 07:31:46 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #1005 on: March 03, 2016, 10:05:36 PM »
That's great to hear about The Night Manager. I know it's not the first Le Carre adaptation as a TV miniseries and I think his work is better suited to long form unless you can really find a unique way to crack it like the Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy screenwriters did.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1006 on: March 03, 2016, 11:46:40 PM »
We watched the first four episodes of Hannibal. I thought this show was supposed to be good? Does it get better later? The writing is simply laughable.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1007 on: March 03, 2016, 11:58:20 PM »
It's not good, it's great. It gets better, yes, but it is always good, so you're probably just not going to be into it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #1008 on: March 04, 2016, 12:19:49 AM »
We watched the first four episodes of Hannibal. I thought this show was supposed to be good? Does it get better later? The writing is simply laughable.

http://www.filmspotting.net/forum/index.php?topic=12178.msg806299#msg806299

I had some issues with it at the beginning, but it's really picking up in season two.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

1SO the 2nd

« Reply #1009 on: March 04, 2016, 12:31:27 AM »
I thought the Pilot was stunning, and that includes the writing. After that I had serious problems for a while, but I'm very glad that I stuck with it. In the end, the bad parts of Season 1 weren't as bad as the first couple of pretentious episodes of Season 3.