love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226531 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #1100 on: April 23, 2016, 08:58:32 PM »
Watching Olive Kitteridge. It's quite good.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1101 on: April 23, 2016, 09:12:15 PM »

The performances were excellent.  I really didn't care for the story, but I also didn't like the book.  What are you finding worthwhile other than the performances?
Texan Down Under

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1102 on: April 23, 2016, 09:34:12 PM »
I'm finding the portrayal of mental illness to be nuanced and relatable. Only halfway in though.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1103 on: April 23, 2016, 09:34:30 PM »

The performances were excellent.  I really didn't care for the story, but I also didn't like the book.  What are you finding worthwhile other than the performances?
Loved Olive K. I didn't like the book either, saltine, but I thought the series was superb. The performances, yes (Frances McDormand is a marvel), but also Olive as a character (such a rare thing to see someone like that as a protagonist - so horrible and lovable at the same time), the other characters (more complexity and layers there), and the depiction of marriage.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #1104 on: April 25, 2016, 09:44:44 AM »
Master of None Ep 6, 7, and 8

Wow, these are three terrific episodes. Ansari has the ability to take a heavy issue and through humor and enthusiasm really say something.  Episode 6, Nashville, is so utterly delightful.  The interaction between Dev and Rachel is infectious and adorable.  It was just a joy to watch.  Episode 7, Ladies and Gentlemen, addresses the differences between men and women in a unique way that is greatly appreciated.  Episode 8, Old People, similar to episode 2, Parents, has a subtlety that makes you examine your relationship with your elders.  I was pretty blown away by these three episodes.

Broadchurch Ep 1-3

At the end of every episode, I just want to watch the next one.  I keep thinking about the show, that's the best review I can give it.  It's a police procedural, but even though it's a common theme in television shows, there is something compelling enough to keep me wanting to call off work and stay at home and binge watch the whole thing.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1105 on: April 25, 2016, 10:13:28 AM »
I had Broadchurch recommended recently. Gonna have to start in on that.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #1106 on: April 25, 2016, 10:42:27 AM »
I had Broadchurch recommended recently. Gonna have to start in on that.

To me, it's nothing groundbreaking, but it's still compelling. I just want to keep watching it.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #1107 on: April 25, 2016, 11:52:16 AM »
It's the Olivia Colman show again. That's a dynamic duo with David Tenant. The countryside and coast doesn't hurt does it? It's more gorgeous in real life. I'm in love with that part of the world. It was a very big deal here yet I agree it doesn't bust any barriers. It just works without being spectacular. It's people like Pauline Quirke and is it Charlotte Rampling in a small part that show the quality of the casting.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1108 on: April 25, 2016, 11:58:41 AM »
I couldn't get into the second season, but I loved the first. Really solid show.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1109 on: April 25, 2016, 12:26:11 PM »
Was a bit disappointed with the ending of the first season but it's a really good show. Enjoyed the second season, too, if mostly for the superb cast - and yeah, the beautiful location.

Have you seen Happy Valley, ses? Another police procedural, so I'm not sure if you're tired of those, but I devoured the two seasons available on Netflix. Similarly great cast (what a gem Sarah Lancashire is!) and location (West Yorkshire!).

love