love

Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226336 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #1650 on: August 17, 2017, 01:50:14 PM »
Slowly, there are more and newer ideas of how to film cell and internet use.  I think we'll see it in more shows over time.

Yeah, we'll get there, once millennials come fully of age and find their own voice in the filmmaking world. We're in an interim state right now with things like Thirteen Reason Why — works written from the outside of that experience looking in and trying to guess and generally flailing a little bit. The novel was written by a guy born in 1975, and I think it shows (at least based on the show's adaptation thereof).

Part of the success of Stranger Things, I think, is that the setting matches the personal experiences of the creators, which provides a bit more authenticity and intimacy.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1651 on: August 21, 2017, 09:42:03 AM »
I have a current situation where I'm Luke, interested in Lorelei, but there's Christopher, always popping back up to keep Lorelei emotionally unavailable. Also, though painted as just a result of him being manly in a sense, Luke could be said to have a few vaguely autistic characteristics to help me self-identify, even though I lack the manliness of being able to build things. Thus Gilmore Girls has all the wisdom and I can't wait to get to the later seasons of my own life.

What do you think the later seasons of your own life will look like? I'm hoping your seasons now will be good ones.

And remember what Lorelei said, "It was Luke. It was always Luke." :)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1652 on: August 21, 2017, 09:45:45 AM »
I cannot wait until we have movies 100% filmed through Snapchat filters.

Be afraid.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1653 on: August 21, 2017, 10:11:10 AM »
Glow is very entertaining. Not great but definitely worthwhile. Looking forward to season two. Although weirdly it seemed to kill my Alison Brie crush.

I watched the first couple episodes of Friends from College and was not impressed. Implausible situations, not very funny, and most of the cast is wasted.

Let's see, what else have I watched lately? The latest season of Master of None was pretty decent... rarely laugh-out-loud funny but very watchable characters. Oh and Playing House is still terrific.

A few episodes behind in Twin Peaks, will probably catch up this week. I have a lot of mixed feelings. There are moments of absolute brilliance. I thought episode 8 was amazing (my wife was not a fan) and I'd like to see a lot more in that vein. Instead we get a shitload of "Dougie". Man, do I hate Dougie. Okay, once in a while Dougie is funny, but for the most part he's a terrible gag that never, ever ends.

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #1654 on: August 21, 2017, 10:28:51 AM »

".......... gag."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1655 on: August 23, 2017, 12:53:57 AM »
Curious to see how I react to Dougie. Just met him in the 3rd episode. I loved the first two episodes, left me thinking how wonderful it was to be back inside Lynch's imagination. He is the best as low quality digital effects whose upsetting power is enhanced by the lo-def look. Then I got to episode 3, which largely treads water - like painting the shovels gold - and has the kind of extreme surrealism that's so impenetrable I'm frustrated by most of it.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1656 on: August 23, 2017, 08:29:24 PM »
I just saw the schedule for Twin Peaks and the final two episodes air when I'm in Italy. Is Episode 8 a good stopping point, where I can pick up the rest when I return, or is there a better place to break?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1657 on: August 23, 2017, 10:46:34 PM »
Much as I'm also sick of Dougie, the series has reminded me how I got really tired of Lucy and Andy. I liked them initially on the original show, but they're combined cutesy sweetness I find grating.

The original run was built on a murder mystery and this has replaced it with absolutely nothing. Overall, I'm impressed Lynch was able to get the budget and creative freedom to make a show that has seemingly no interest in telling a story. This is his Avatar.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1658 on: August 23, 2017, 11:24:11 PM »
I can't stand Lucy and Andy any more (although Andy seems to be developing into a more interesting character)

It's so frustrating because there are episodes with incredible, intriguing, masterful moments 8 and 15 are the standouts so far) but there's so much time-wasting bullshit in between. Lynch used to stretch scenes out to make the viewer feel uneasy and disoriented (as in Eraserhead). Now it feels like he's doing it to either 1) pad out an episode, 2) deliberately try your patience or 3) because he thinks it's funny.

I really want to love this show, but there are so many scenes that need to be shortened or removed. Not as bad as that dreadful run in season 2, but getting there.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:53:28 AM by MartinTeller »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1659 on: August 24, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »
The AV Club has an article about the time wasting moments, starting with the extended sweeping scene at the Bang Bang. I keep thinking this is probably the last thing outside of maybe a few shorts that Lynch will make, so I'm savoring every last moment.

I finished episode 8, which has some incredible imagery. It's also worth mentioning many of the establishing shots of cities are maybe the best of that type I've seen.

love