Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226559 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #1670 on: August 28, 2017, 12:53:50 AM »
What an episode of Twin Peaks. Holy crap.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1671 on: August 28, 2017, 05:27:24 AM »
Caught the first two episodes of Atlanta on the plane. It's as wonderful as I had heard. The cute gal sitting next to me started watching it too (once she woke up, it was a red eye). Probably should have talked to her about it.

Watched The Duke of Burgundy on a plane once. The woman next to me did not look like she wanted to talk about it.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #1672 on: August 28, 2017, 01:00:55 PM »
You make it sound like there is very little conflict in Iron Rand. Does he not fight against the Hand?

He does. He and Colleen find themselves fighting Bakuto's forces who are part of the Hand.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1673 on: August 28, 2017, 03:39:52 PM »
Caught the first two episodes of Atlanta on the plane. It's as wonderful as I had heard. The cute gal sitting next to me started watching it too (once she woke up, it was a red eye). Probably should have talked to her about it.

Watched The Duke of Burgundy on a plane once. The woman next to me did not look like she wanted to talk about it.

Nor should anyone.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1674 on: August 28, 2017, 11:35:10 PM »
I can't stand Lucy and Andy any more (although Andy seems to be developing into a more interesting character)

15 episodes in and my least favorite part of the show is Audrey and Charlie. I can't tell how deliberate the horrible writing and terrible acting are, if they are at all. I don't see how they connect to the rest of the world. I can't see any possibly payoff that will make up for the embarrassment of every moment they're on screen.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1675 on: August 28, 2017, 11:39:02 PM »
I can't stand Lucy and Andy any more (although Andy seems to be developing into a more interesting character)

15 episodes in and my least favorite part of the show is Audrey and Charlie. I can't tell how deliberate the horrible writing and terrible acting are, if they are at all. I don't see how they connect to the rest of the world. I can't see any possibly payoff that will make up for the embarrassment of every moment they're on screen.

You really need to watch episode 16.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1676 on: August 28, 2017, 11:46:32 PM »
Anyone know how much one should ideally know about Iron fist before watching The Defenders? I have no intention on watching the former.

Same question but with Luke Cage.

I watched half of Luke Cage and zero Iron First AMD I'm having no problems following The Defenders. Enjoying it is another question.

Too much Danny Rand IMO - was so very disappointed with this series.
I'll keep Jessica Jones and DD - you can have the rest.
Please - no more with The Hand as well.
Hey, nice marmot!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1677 on: August 29, 2017, 02:42:55 AM »
The Good Place

So many juicy ethical questions are raised in this series, only to run around by the end.  Although it deals with a fantasy afterlife, it has some great philosophical ideas floating around.  Mostly just floating, but it's nice to see them referred to, anyway.

It's generally funny as well.  Good to see Ted Danson still having a good time and Kirsten Bell does actually have a sense of humor.  Other cast members do a good job as well, especially Jamilla Jamil.

Kirsten Bell is Eleanor who, after a particularly embarrassing death, find herself surprisingly located in the "good place", but only by a bureaucratic error.  She actually has taken the place of an actually wonderful person who has the same name and who died at the same time.  And, as Eleanor continues her selfish habits, the place is falling apart from her very existence. 

Horrible CGI, but cool stuff at the core.

4/5
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #1678 on: August 29, 2017, 05:27:45 AM »
My friend was rewatching The Good Place and noticed a cool bit of foreshadowing where Eleanor says her parents were awful and likely in the Bad Place, and that their punishment was probably just being around and driving each other crazy.

I also, for some reason, love that Chidi thinks he's in the Bad Place because he read an article about almonds being bad for the environment but ate them anyway!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1679 on: August 29, 2017, 07:20:19 AM »
I watched 16. The Audrey moment felt like fan service, like having Kermit sing "Rainbow Connection". The end of the scene is something, but too brief to register as anything more than a new mystery. Still doesn't justify the previous horrible scenes.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 07:59:17 AM by 1SO »