Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 78105 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #1690 on: August 29, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »
Are you caught up? Any modifications to your last opinion?

I posted my last opinion like 3 hours ago. Yeah, I'm all caught up.
Switchboard
Watched 2019

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Poor  |  Crap

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1691 on: August 29, 2017, 01:02:46 PM »
I have the dumb. Thought that was Jeff.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1692 on: August 29, 2017, 04:06:42 PM »
I watched the pilot of Twin Peaks today. Yo, that's some great stuff.
Original Series or The Return?

OG. It's amazing how well it plays in 2017. Feels like we just caught up to it in the past few years.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
« Reply #1693 on: September 01, 2017, 03:43:55 PM »
I have started Twin Peaks original today as well. Watched first three episodes. So good.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1694 on: September 01, 2017, 04:14:07 PM »
We watched the first three episodes of "The Good Place" last night. It's not particularly funny but the premise is intriguing enough for us to keep going. I'm hoping that the main character (Kristen Bell) shows actual growth over the series and doesn't just reset every episode. It's the Cousin Larry (Perfect Strangers)/Phil Tandy Miller (Last Man on Earth) syndrome... the show tries to make them learn lessons but the character's moral failings are what makes them interesting/amusing so the next episode they're back to being jerks.
Switchboard
Watched 2019

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Poor  |  Crap

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1695 on: September 01, 2017, 05:42:18 PM »
She definitely changes. The show is rarely super funny, but the premise and characters are so good that I'm a big fan and looking forward to seeing 2.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1696 on: September 15, 2017, 07:02:37 PM »
Black Mirror

This show is awesome. I've only seen the first three. It's like a bunch of tight sci-fi premises not ruined by being stretched to movie length. Not that they'd all be ruined, but I'm sure a lot would.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1697 on: September 15, 2017, 09:20:51 PM »
Welcome to the Club. I look forward to hearing what your favorite episodes are because there are a variety of opinions on that.

Line of Duty
Ingeniously plotted crime thriller series from the UK. Wonderful storytelling with lots of bombshell twists, superior acting you expect from England. I'm halfway through Series 2, so that's 8 episodes in 2 days. Can't wait to continue.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1698 on: September 15, 2017, 11:21:31 PM »
* * * SPOILERS for anything Twin Peaks and David Lynch related * * *

Twin Peaks: The Return
David Lynch has given quite an ending and it made me think about the way he chooses to end his other films. Usually he strikes a balance to where he finds that ray of sunshine to poke through the darkness. The final shot of Blue Velvet (with the bird) is a thing of beauty as is the "Silencio" that brings down the curtain on Mulholland Drive, putting all the pieces into your brain. Lynch realizes the power of letting an audience know there will be no more clues. My favorite Lynch ending is Fire Walk With Me. A two-plus hour film building to the brutal, inevitable murder of a beloved character, the film ends with Laura Palmer smiling, laughing. Happy to finally be released from her torment. Lynch has given the unhappiest character in his world a happy ending.

Compare that to the end of Twin Peaks: The Return. A finale that looks like it's going to right all the wrongs, including Dale Cooper preventing Laura's murder in the first place. An upbeat version of The Terminator, save the girl and save the world. The ending crushes that optimism, and while it initially felt like a punch to the gut, there were clues all during that final hour, starting with the big, obvious in hindsight one of Cooper walking Laura out of the dark woods only to realize (in a brilliant moment of camerawork and sound) that she is no longer with him. A subtle moment that keyed me in was at the diner, before Cooper takes down the cowboys. He sips the coffee and has no reaction to it. Like it isn't more than average. The final 15 minutes is perhaps the most maddeningly drawn out sequence in a series full of such time fillers, but it holds together by the nagging feeling that something ain't right. That evil is still just beyond the headlights.

The staging and editing of the cowboys scene shows Lynch has a good grasp for action, which makes the sequence of the power glove smashing Bob even more puzzling. That is one of Lynch's clumsiest scenes. This is what makes the series hard to give a single rating too. It was the best of Lynch, it was the worst of Lynch. Ultimately, I will treasure this as Lynch's final opus, and I bet on a rewatch I'll be more tolerant about Dougie Jones. I already smile at the way he holds coffee.
RATING: * * * - Good

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1699 on: September 16, 2017, 01:05:57 AM »

Line of Duty
Ingeniously plotted crime thriller series from the UK. Wonderful storytelling with lots of bombshell twists, superior acting you expect from England. I'm halfway through Series 2, so that's 8 episodes in 2 days. Can't wait to continue.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll start this one tonight.  Have you seen Happy Valley?
Texan Down Under