Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226498 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #1700 on: September 16, 2017, 05:40:28 AM »
Still haven't but it's high on my list.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #1701 on: September 16, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
So glad they're delving into Twin Peaks

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1702 on: September 17, 2017, 01:09:14 AM »
Parks and Recreation Season 1
Took me forever to get through this season.  Seems like a poor mans version of The Office, with the pseudo-documentary feel and the quirky but unbelievable characters.  Slow, unfunny.  But the last couple episodes were good.  I suppose I'll watch another one or two of the next season.

Parks and Recreation Season 2
OMG! This show is fantastic!  So VERY funny!  Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman and Christ Pratt and... well, heck the whole cast, really came into their comedic form this season and gave their best.  Aziz Ansari is still too irritating for me (but that doesn't matter because I think he's great in Master of None).  And THEN Rob Lowe arrives to be even MORE irritating than Ansari, but I forgive him because he's Rob Lowe, and it's great to see him.  Now I'm stuck.  I'm binging this until the end of time.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:38:27 AM by oldkid »
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1703 on: September 17, 2017, 02:06:01 AM »
I still haven't joined in because I can't decide if I should watch from the beginning or skip Season 1.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1704 on: September 17, 2017, 03:00:20 AM »
There's only six episodes in the first season.  Watch the first one for the set up.  It isn't painful, just a bit dull.  Then go to the sixth episode, just to set you up for the first episode of season one.  Skip episodes 2-5. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #1705 on: September 17, 2017, 05:13:53 AM »
There's only six episodes in the first season.  Watch the first one for the set up.  It isn't painful, just a bit dull.  Then go to the sixth episode, just to set you up for the first episode of season one.  Skip episodes 2-5.

Season One works a lot better once you've seen a few of the better seasons.

Parks and Recreation Season 2
OMG! This show is fantastic!  So VERY funny!  Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman and Christ Pratt and... well, heck the whole cast, really came into their comedic form this season and gave their best.  Aziz Ansari is still too irritating for me (but that doesn't matter because I think he's great in Master of None).  And THEN Rob Lowe arrives to be even MORE irritating than Ansari, but I forgive him because he's Rob Lowe, and it's great to see him.  Now I'm stuck.  I'm binging this until the end of time.

Tom Haverford starts to become more of a human after a few seasons. And Rob Lowe is fantastic throughout the series. His cheery abrasiveness works really well as the writers figure out what to do with him.

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #1706 on: September 17, 2017, 11:39:32 AM »
Rob Lowe also has my favorite moment in the series, which is a quick reaction towards the end of the he & Ron burger competition.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1707 on: September 17, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »
Line of Duty
Ingeniously plotted crime thriller series from the UK. Wonderful storytelling with lots of bombshell twists, superior acting you expect from England. I'm halfway through Series 2, so that's 8 episodes in 2 days. Can't wait to continue.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll start this one tonight.  Have you seen Happy Valley?

The first three series of Line of Duty actually form a trilogy, which I just finished. There are some small missteps, nothing on the scale of Broadchurch's blunders (though I still loved that show all the same). Overall, I feel like I just watched something on the same level as L.A. Confidential for the small screen. Truly great work.

I should also caution that the series favors that annoying deliberately unsteady camerawork, though it only annoyed me a few times and they ditch it by Series 3. I wouldn't want anyone to be put off by this, and it's balanced out by the fact that this is not a show you need to watch for long before it hooks you.
RATING: * * * 1/2

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1708 on: September 18, 2017, 03:48:08 AM »
I love Parks and Rec but I rewatched the first episode of Season 2 some time ago and it was too weird. The characters hadn't set into their definitive personas yet and the entire feel of the episode jarred with what I knew it would later become. It was like rewatching the first ever episode of Boston Legal after having finished the series. I now wonder what peak P&R is.

Rob Lowe is fantastic. Tom almost completely changes over time.

« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1709 on: September 18, 2017, 03:50:46 AM »
...And the dancing!!!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad