Author Topic: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched  (Read 226410 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Review the Last TV Episode/Season/Series You Watched
« Reply #1710 on: September 18, 2017, 03:56:47 AM »
I finished the second Season of Fargo this weekend and for the love of me I cannot bring myself to love that show. I don't see it. Season 2 was hailed as superior to 1 but there certainly was nothing in there that matched Billy Bob Thornton's character and I really liked that Martin Freeman performance. And although both seasons have very strong moments, I just don't love them, and I like the first the most.  It was funnier.

Also, can anyone tell me what the hell the flying saucer thing was about?

I also finished The Good Place, which was pretty neat. Not out loud funny but very enjoyable. I wasn't fond of all the characters but Ted Danson was lovely. He's a better actor than I ever gave him credit for. I really liked how they played with the premise, even if it makes no sense.

The seventh episode of Rick and Morty Season 3 is absolutely amazing. It's like a political thriller movie, a dark satire and a LA noir cop film with a race-driven story rolled into twenty minutes of animated perfection. I was scared about leaving the main characters for an episode, but oh boy did that pay off.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1711 on: September 18, 2017, 07:56:57 AM »
The answer to your question about Fargo is Mike Milligan.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #1712 on: September 18, 2017, 08:01:32 AM »
I'm with DH on this one. Yes, Mike Milligan is a very charismatic and enjoyable character, but season 1 had Lorne Malvo, and season 2 had nothing close to Martin Freeman and Allison Tolman (Patrick Wilson is good though). I also find the 70s fetishism tiring after a while.

Still good, but I much preferred season 1.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1713 on: September 18, 2017, 08:04:13 AM »
I've decided just to love the movie. Though, Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter is a good companion piece
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1714 on: September 18, 2017, 08:26:59 AM »
Malvo was MVP. Tolman was good as an actress but I didn't like her character. I much prefer Patrick Wilson to her.

jswysin

« Reply #1715 on: September 18, 2017, 07:15:35 PM »
No mention of Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons for season 2 is quite the oversight.  ???

Been watching a lot of tv lately, here are my brief thoughts:

Battlestar Galactica:  Took a while to warm to the characters but once I did this was pretty darn good.  One-off episodes rarely worked for me, some of the relationship drama felt rushed at times, and the finale was a disappointment the more I think on it but I'm glad I watched it overall. 

Rectify:  Watched season 1 years ago and loved it but never kept up for some reason.  It's a beautiful show with terrific performances all around and a methodical pace I didn't think would gel with the binge experience and yet I couldn't stop watching.  Heavy handed and obvious at times but it's such a thoughtful, respectful show and I think it earns its ending. 

BoJack Horseman Season 4:  Still the best Netflix show, still simultaneously funny and heartbreaking.  No episode matches the brilliance of Season 3's "Fish Out of Water" but the voice cast continues to crush it (special shout out to Wendie Malick for her larger role) and the punnery remains off the charts. 

Top of the Lake: China Girl:  I appreciated and enjoyed season 1 and while I continue to appreciate the look and feel and always reliable Elisabeth Moss carrying the show, China Girl was not an enjoyable experience, and not because of the tone or the depressing content but because everything felt heightened to an extreme level, the plot conveniences and character connections only a minor quibble until we get to over the top violent outbursts that seem to be brushed aside, the cartoonish boyfriend character who is distractingly similar to Tommy Wiseau, every scene with the skeevy internet cafe guys, little elements piling up until we get to a dramatic moment on a beach that made me laugh out loud instead of gasp in horror.  I will follow Moss (almost) anywhere, she's that great, and Nicole Kidman is wonderful (though underutilized), but I was greatly disappointed with TOTL:CG.

American Vandal:  A new Netflix true crime mockumentary everyone should watch.  It's shockingly great. 

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1716 on: September 18, 2017, 11:34:42 PM »
1SO, gotta call bullshit on the glass in Line of Duty ep 3.  Makes no sense At All.
Texan Down Under

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1717 on: September 19, 2017, 12:11:36 AM »
PM me the specifics. Wondering what part of that point you're referring to.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1718 on: September 19, 2017, 05:52:11 AM »
Kirsten Dunst is terrific in season 2. And disturbingly attractive when she gets all stabby.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1719 on: September 25, 2017, 11:07:04 PM »
1SO is right. Line of Duty is excellent tv.

(He and I are pm'ing about the series. I couldn't stand to spoil it here for anyone who wants to catch it up.)
Texan Down Under

love